The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Age
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Age » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:34 pm
Age wrote:
Now were you asking me to explain why I answered yes to your original question and to give my explanation with no synonyms attached

If yes then it helps if you say what you actually mean
Yes he was asking you to explain why you answered yes to the question that he asked -
I understood that part. Are you assuming I did not understand that part?

There was, however, another part, which I obviously did not understand. I misinterpreted that part of what was wanted.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:34 pm
he could not be asking you anything else
But they could have been asking me some thing else.

The proof of this can be clearly seen in my WRONG assumption, which I clearly made.

Considering the original question involved the words "synonyms", and behind my yes answer, which does not involve the "synonyms" word at all, then saying "explain why, no synonyms" can AND did get misunderstood as some thing else. Therefore, what was being asked could be some thing else.

If it could not be any thing else, then obviously it could not be mistaken, misinterpreted, not misunderstood.

What was said was mistaken, misinterpreted, and/or misunderstood. Therefore, they could have been asking me some thing else.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:34 pm
And he did say what he actually meant - it was perfectly clear to anyone reading it what he meant - but you assumed otherwise
Therefore, because I assumed otherwise, it was NOT perfectly clear to anyone, unless of course 'i' am not anyone.

By the way, if you are open enough for an explanation of why it was not perfectly clear to me, then the original question is;

Would philosophy exist if the words:

Versus
Distinct(ion)
Assumption
Premise
Contradiction
Vague
Same
Classification

And their synonyms could not be applied?


Now, my response is;

To me, the answer is yes.

The reply back is;

Good, explain why, no synonyms.

To wit, I thought/asumed was meaning; That is good you disagree with me, so now try and explain why you say that philosophy can exist if those words and no synonyms existed.

Considering WHY I said yes, some might say that that was a pretty simple mistake to make.

Now, when, and if, eodnhoj7 answers my question; were you asking me to explain why I answered yes to your original question, and to give my explanation with no synonyms attached? with the affirmative, then I will explain WHY I said 'To me, my answer is yes'.

Then, you might see and understand HOW I mistook, misinterpreted, or misunderstood some thing.

Age
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Age » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:30 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm
Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
I do not recall ever telling others to do any thing let alone always telling them
Telling others is simply you imparting information on the best way to remain open by not making any assumptions
If, and when, you are imparting knowledge on the best way to achieve some thing are you 'telling "others" what to do', or, really, are you just imparting knowledge on what you perceive is the best way to achieve some thing?

When you impart knowledge on the best way to achieve some thing, then I certainly do not take that as you telling me to do some thing. I take that as you imparting your knowledge on the best way to achieve some thing, which I would appreciate, and then make my own decision to follow or not, or I would explain way I see it as not the best way.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm
Obviously everyone is free to either accept or reject what you say but you are saying it for their benefit not yours
If you say so.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm
And always telling them simply means that you have repeated the information multiple times which you have done
To me, 'always' means always, and, 'repeating multiple times' does not necessarily entail always.

But if 'always', to you, means only some times, then fair enough. Now I know.

This Truly knowing and understanding what another is actually saying and meaning really is done much easier through NOT assuming and just simple clarifying.

commonsense
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by commonsense » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm
Would philosophy exist if the words:

Versus
Distinct(ion)
Assumptions
Premise
Contradiction
Vague
Same
Classification

And their synonyms could not be applied? Probably not.
Please allow me to offer example sentences that do not use the specific words but could be part of any (philosophical) discussion.

Versus: In the matter of Jones and Smith, only one or the other can be correct.

Distinct(ion): Jones and Smith are two separate individuals who are recognized by their names.

Assumptions: Do not make statements based on incomplete information.

Premise: You should accept my thought that all bachelors are unmarried males.

Contradiction: Your statement speaks against itself.

Vague: You must be specific.

Same: Jones and Smith have scarves that you cannot tell apart.

Classification: Jones belongs to a group that includes people who are left-handed.

The meaning of most any word can be conveyed by substituting the definition for the word itself.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4119
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:42 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm
Age wrote:
The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with no synonyms

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume
He made no such assumption and was only asking you to explain why you answered yes to his question about philosophy
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
So read his answer again and you will see that he actually asked you to explain your answer without using any synonyms
All he does is make assumptions...then assumes these are no assumptions. They are just disconnected assumptions.

Age
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Age » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:42 am
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm
Age wrote:
The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with no synonyms

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume
He made no such assumption and was only asking you to explain why you answered yes to his question about philosophy
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
So read his answer again and you will see that he actually asked you to explain your answer without using any synonyms
All he does is make assumptions...then assumes these are no assumptions. They are just disconnected assumptions.
You continually say that I make assumptions and now you say "All he does is make assumptions". Are you at all aware that there is NO need to keep reaffirming your own beliefs here. It is completely OBVIOUS that, to you, absolutely EVERY thing is an assumption. Therefore, to you, absolutely EVERY thing I say is an assumption, so there is NO need to keep repeating it. You could never admit the opposite because then your whole theory, argument, belief, and assumption would fall to pieces. I have already told you that I AGREE with you; you assume every thing, and, obviously EVERY thing you assume could be WRONG. So, once again, we are in TOTAL AGREEMENT here.

Just to provide another example of when you assume some thing and it is WRONG; you made the accusation that when I assume some thing that I "then assume these are no assumptions". You could NOT be any further from the actual and real Truth of things. I have OPENLY admitted when I assumed some thing AND also OPENLY admitted when the assumption is WRONG.

Once again, your own assumptions are leading you completely astray.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4119
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm

Age wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:42 am
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm


He made no such assumption and was only asking you to explain why you answered yes to his question about philosophy
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
So read his answer again and you will see that he actually asked you to explain your answer without using any synonyms
All he does is make assumptions...then assumes these are no assumptions. They are just disconnected assumptions.
You continually say that I make assumptions and now you say "All he does is make assumptions". Are you at all aware that there is NO need to keep reaffirming your own beliefs here. It is completely OBVIOUS that, to you, absolutely EVERY thing is an assumption. Therefore, to you, absolutely EVERY thing I say is an assumption, so there is NO need to keep repeating it. You could never admit the opposite because then your whole theory, argument, belief, and assumption would fall to pieces. I have already told you that I AGREE with you; you assume every thing, and, obviously EVERY thing you assume could be WRONG. So, once again, we are in TOTAL AGREEMENT here.

Just to provide another example of when you assume some thing and it is WRONG; you made the accusation that when I assume some thing that I "then assume these are no assumptions". You could NOT be any further from the actual and real Truth of things. I have OPENLY admitted when I assumed some thing AND also OPENLY admitted when the assumption is WRONG.

Once again, your own assumptions are leading you completely astray.
I am stating your argument is disconnected.

Copy and paste.

Age
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Age » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:21 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Age wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:42 am

All he does is make assumptions...then assumes these are no assumptions. They are just disconnected assumptions.
You continually say that I make assumptions and now you say "All he does is make assumptions". Are you at all aware that there is NO need to keep reaffirming your own beliefs here. It is completely OBVIOUS that, to you, absolutely EVERY thing is an assumption. Therefore, to you, absolutely EVERY thing I say is an assumption, so there is NO need to keep repeating it. You could never admit the opposite because then your whole theory, argument, belief, and assumption would fall to pieces. I have already told you that I AGREE with you; you assume every thing, and, obviously EVERY thing you assume could be WRONG. So, once again, we are in TOTAL AGREEMENT here.

Just to provide another example of when you assume some thing and it is WRONG; you made the accusation that when I assume some thing that I "then assume these are no assumptions". You could NOT be any further from the actual and real Truth of things. I have OPENLY admitted when I assumed some thing AND also OPENLY admitted when the assumption is WRONG.

Once again, your own assumptions are leading you completely astray.
I am stating your argument is disconnected.
What 'argument'?

Disconnect from 'what' exactly?
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Copy and paste.
'What' are the words 'copy and paste' in relation to exactly?

To me, your writings are now appearing very disconnected, from each other, and from what it is that I am saying.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4119
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 am

Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:21 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Age wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:56 am


You continually say that I make assumptions and now you say "All he does is make assumptions". Are you at all aware that there is NO need to keep reaffirming your own beliefs here. It is completely OBVIOUS that, to you, absolutely EVERY thing is an assumption. Therefore, to you, absolutely EVERY thing I say is an assumption, so there is NO need to keep repeating it. You could never admit the opposite because then your whole theory, argument, belief, and assumption would fall to pieces. I have already told you that I AGREE with you; you assume every thing, and, obviously EVERY thing you assume could be WRONG. So, once again, we are in TOTAL AGREEMENT here.

Just to provide another example of when you assume some thing and it is WRONG; you made the accusation that when I assume some thing that I "then assume these are no assumptions". You could NOT be any further from the actual and real Truth of things. I have OPENLY admitted when I assumed some thing AND also OPENLY admitted when the assumption is WRONG.

Once again, your own assumptions are leading you completely astray.
I am stating your argument is disconnected.
What 'argument'?

Disconnect from 'what' exactly?
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Copy and paste.
'What' are the words 'copy and paste' in relation to exactly?

To me, your writings are now appearing very disconnected, from each other, and from what it is that I am saying.
You provided examples, statements specifically... a small list, that you stated where not assumptions.

I responded under each one stating why they where both composed of assumptions and assumptions in themselves.

You said I ignored them.

Copy and paste the list, with my responses.

Otherwise, for each post you make I will just repeat:

Copy and paste.

Age
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Age » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:34 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 am
Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:21 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm


I am stating your argument is disconnected.
What 'argument'?

Disconnect from 'what' exactly?
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:25 pm
Copy and paste.
'What' are the words 'copy and paste' in relation to exactly?

To me, your writings are now appearing very disconnected, from each other, and from what it is that I am saying.
You provided examples, statements specifically... a small list, that you stated where not assumptions.

I responded under each one stating why they where both composed of assumptions and assumptions in themselves.

You said I ignored them.

Copy and paste the list, with my responses.

Otherwise, for each post you make I will just repeat:

Copy and paste.
That is NOT the example of 'what is not assumed' that I have been talking about.

As I said you have completely missed the example that I AM talking about.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4119
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am

Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:34 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 am
Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:21 am


What 'argument'?

Disconnect from 'what' exactly?



'What' are the words 'copy and paste' in relation to exactly?

To me, your writings are now appearing very disconnected, from each other, and from what it is that I am saying.
You provided examples, statements specifically... a small list, that you stated where not assumptions.

I responded under each one stating why they where both composed of assumptions and assumptions in themselves.

You said I ignored them.

Copy and paste the list, with my responses.

Otherwise, for each post you make I will just repeat:

Copy and paste.
That is NOT the example of 'what is not assumed' that I have been talking about.

As I said you have completely missed the example that I AM talking about.
I dont bother readinf, you are not worth the time until you....

Copy and paste.

Age
Posts: 2758
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Age » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am

Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am
Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:34 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:44 am


You provided examples, statements specifically... a small list, that you stated where not assumptions.

I responded under each one stating why they where both composed of assumptions and assumptions in themselves.

You said I ignored them.

Copy and paste the list, with my responses.

Otherwise, for each post you make I will just repeat:

Copy and paste.
That is NOT the example of 'what is not assumed' that I have been talking about.

As I said you have completely missed the example that I AM talking about.
I dont bother readinf, you are not worth the time until you....

Copy and paste.
But I obviously can not copy and paste a response that has not even been given.

User avatar
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 4119
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Post by Eodnhoj7 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:42 am

Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am
Age wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:34 am


That is NOT the example of 'what is not assumed' that I have been talking about.

As I said you have completely missed the example that I AM talking about.
I dont bother readinf, you are not worth the time until you....

Copy and paste.
But I obviously can not copy and paste a response that has not even been given.
I will then, when not on an ipad.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Skepdick and 7 guests