Philosophy is created by belief!

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Philosophy is created by belief!

Post by surreptitious57 »

Skepdick wrote:
Circles only exist in 2 dimensional space

If you think your mind is 2 dimensional and your beliefs exist on such a trivial landscape
Circular reasoning and circles are not the same thing as you know very well
One is a type of logical fallacy and the other is a perfect geometrical shape

Circles themselves may be two dimensional but they are also the product of our three dimensional minds
And the two dimensional space that they reside within is actually a sub set of four dimensional spacetime
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:50 am
Skepdick wrote:
The beliefs in your head are not and cannot be circular
The beliefs in your head most definitely can be circular hence cognitive dissonance
There is no requirement for human beings to be able to think logically all the time
It would all depend on what the circle encompasses, and how big it is.
But ultimately all arguments have to be circular, otherwise there are loose ends.
When the great circle of your argument includes empirical facts then the circle is a good one that can submit to verification.

Bad circular arguments are small and self referral.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

A_Seagull wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:36 am
A_Seagull wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:11 am

All words are inherently ambiguous, including these.

It is why trying to make a rigorous philosophy that resides in the domain of words is entirely futile.
A rigorous philosophy would require progressively atomizing one assumption into another without end. Rigor is a contradiction as no solution can be made present that is final.
No it wouldn't and no it isn't.
That is not a very rigorous answer.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm
Skepdick wrote:
Circles only exist in 2 dimensional space

If you think your mind is 2 dimensional and your beliefs exist on such a trivial landscape
Circular reasoning and circles are not the same thing as you know very well
One is a type of logical fallacy and the other is a perfect geometrical shape

Circles themselves may be two dimensional but they are also the product of our three dimensional minds
And the two dimensional space that they reside within is actually a sub set of four dimensional spacetime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_reasoning
Circular reasoning is not a formal logical fallacy but a pragmatic defect in an argument whereby the premises are just as much in need of proof or evidence as the conclusion, and as a consequence the argument fails to persuade. Other ways to express this are that there is no reason to accept the premises unless one already believes the conclusion, or that the premises provide no independent ground or evidence for the conclusion....
Circularity can be difficult to detect if it involves a longer chain of propositions

It seems to me this describes just about every argument.

Either you already have a conclusion, and you are making the premises fit.
Or you alrady have aa set of premises, and you are bending the rules of inference so that they arrive at the conclusion that you want.

Reasoning is constructive in nature. Arguing is the art of confirmation bias.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:05 am
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:50 am The beliefs in your head most definitely can be circular hence cognitive dissonance
There is no requirement for human beings to be able to think logically all the time
Circles only exist in 2-dimensional space.

If you think your mind is 2-dimensional, and your beliefs exist on such a trivial landscape... OK.
Beliefs in your head can exist without occupying the entire mind. Beliefs can exist on a landscape of a plane or planes.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 pm Beliefs in your head can exist without occupying the entire mind. Beliefs can exist on a landscape of a plane or planes.
But ultimately beliefs are dynamic. They interact and influence each other and change with new information.

Dynamic phenomena require a time dimension. What does a circular belief's world line look like?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 pm Beliefs in your head can exist without occupying the entire mind. Beliefs can exist on a landscape of a plane or planes.
But ultimately beliefs are dynamic. They interact and influence each other and change with new information.

Dynamic phenomena require a time dimension. What does a circular belief's world line look like?
You’re right: multi-dimensional when interacting with beliefs not contained within the same plane. However, a circular belief could also exist within a single plane.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

If all believes are dynamic, as in they project from one beleif to another, than all belief is grounded in a constant linear form.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:04 pm

If all believes are dynamic, as in they project from one beleif to another, than all belief is grounded in a constant linear form.
Right. But the focus was on circular beliefs, some of which have extra-planar connections and some of which do not.

I think the dichotomous characteristics of the connections that belong to circular beliefs trivializes the proposition made earlier about such beliefs, however I am having difficulty locating the post in question.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Right. But the focus was on circular beliefs, some of which have extra-planar connections and some of which do not.

I think the dichotomous characteristics of the connections that belong to circular beliefs trivializes the proposition made earlier about such beliefs, however I am having difficulty locating the post in question.
Agree.

If I can elaborate on the "extra-planar connections" using basic math:

1+1 = 2

2 = 1+1, -1+3, -2+4, etc.

All circularity allows for then maintainance of a set of axioms while allowing for progressive variation.

Cycles always are connected to other cycles, and a circular argument thus not necessitate contradiction.

Now as to the ones you do not believe have connections?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Agree.

1+1 = 2

All circularity allows for then maintainance of a set of axioms while allowing for progressive variation.

Cycles always are connected to other cycles, and a circular argument thus not necessitate contradiction.

This is all good, and circular. As far as concepts go the statements are correct in an absolute sense.
In real life they can be used to represent observable facts, but only approximately.
There are no integers in nature, and no two things can be absolutely identical since no two things can be exact in dimension, time, and space.
5 oranges added to 5 oranges are 10 oranges.
But 1 orange is not equal to another orange.
There is also a lack of straight lines, perfect circles and other shapes. So whilst maths talks about perfect spheres and so forth, no perfection of the sort can be found in nature. Maths even in its own terms creates a series of incommensurable values such as PI, SquR of -1, perhaps because we live in an analogue reality but are trying to squeeze our digital system of integers.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: If I can elaborate on the "extra-planar connections" using basic math:

1+1 = 2

Yes.
As you pointed out, beliefs are dynamic and are related to other beliefs. With this I agree. I cannot conceive of beliefs that do not have connections to other beliefs.

I was referring to circular beliefs that have extra-planar connections and those that have only planar connections.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Agree.

1+1 = 2

This is all good, and circular. As far as concepts go the statements are correct in an absolute sense.
In real life they can be used to represent observable facts, but only approximately.
There are no integers in nature, and no two things can be absolutely identical since no two things can be exact in dimension, time, and space.
5 oranges added to 5 oranges are 10 oranges.
But 1 orange is not equal to another orange.
There is also a lack of straight lines, perfect circles and other shapes. So whilst maths talks about perfect spheres and so forth, no perfection of the sort can be found in nature. Maths even in its own terms creates a series of incommensurable values such as PI, SquR of -1, perhaps because we live in an analogue reality but are trying to squeeze our digital system of integers.
I want to agree.

And I mean I actually want to.

Actually nature is grounded in points, lines and circles strictly because of its atomic nature.

1. All phenomenon from a distance are always point particles in the context of the space in which they are observed. Upon closer inspection the phenomenon is composed of point particles (jagged edges, etc.)

2. All particles in nature moving from a point A position to Point B position do so in a straight line. Even a simple curves, in a wave, requires the Crest of the wave to go up and down. The curves, as a particle, always requires a particle to move from point A to point B. A curve is composed of a less than infinite number of angles.

This is evidences strictly because a particle, when dividing/multiplying, always does so in a linear direction.

3. The repetition of events in nature, such as the repetition of a particle, is always a cycling of a variation of the same thing. Upon first glance a point projected to another point appears as a linear trajectory, but if the point is repeating itself it fundamentally is maintaining itself through a cycle. All repetition is a cycle. For example, A clock turned on its side would observe a simple point go back and forth causing it to repeat it's original position.

Quantity and quality are inseperable.

1) 1 point manifesting into two points observes the creation of distance, as a quality, by a change in quantity. 1 point inverting to 2 points observes quantity begets "quality" through distance.

2) A single line between any two points is always composed of infinite points between the two points as the progression of one point to another requires position A then position B then C, etc.

Distance as a quality is dually a quantity of one set of infinities, evidenced by the line. All quantities are actually infinities. The line takes on an actual distance when it is divided into further lines, thus necessitating individuation.

One line individuates into two lines. This is the first understanding of measurable distance using a grounding standard (ie the 1 infinite line). The 1 line as two lines observes simulateous multiplication and division.

Multiplication as two lines, each a replication of the original where anyone standing alone (as infinite) is the same as another.

Division where each line is 1/2 of the original line that exist as a set.

Quality thus begets quantity, considering quality begins with a continuum (the line as infinite points).

3. Quantity and quality alternate through eachother through a cycle. Either one can be taken first only if assumed as such.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:39 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: If I can elaborate on the "extra-planar connections" using basic math:

1+1 = 2

Yes.
As you pointed out, beliefs are dynamic and are related to other beliefs. With this I agree. I cannot conceive of beliefs that do not have connections to other beliefs.

I was referring to circular beliefs that have extra-planar connections and those that have only planar connections.
Agreed to above.

Elaborate your position about "planar connections", I am not completely familiar with how you use the term...specifically "planar".
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

The cyclical, linear and point nature of beliefs requires belief to have an inherent nature of very basic platonic forms where belief itself is actually a form of reasoning based upon assumed axioms (ie points of awareness) that project and give form through space and time.

The paradox occurs, as to whether the forms allow for belief or belief allows for the forms. The most logical explanation would be that all phenomemon, as variations of a perfect form, exist through that form.

This would equivocate base platonic forms as "divine mind" or "the One" which is essentially triadic in nature thus reflecting the common "trinity" in a variety of religions as well as the pythagorean implication that 3 is the first number and 1 and 3 are effectively the same entity.

Belief forms reality, thus belief not just qualifies a phenomenon but quantifies it.