Should Climate Activists Break the Law

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Should Climate Activists Break the Law

Post by RWStanding »

Should Climate Activists Break the Law: There is a dimension of duty and responsibility that links Altruism and Tyranny – or mere Authoritarianism – and which is largely absent for anarchistic society or Autonomy.
The plain answer is that ‘anarchists’ will indeed break the law with some impunity. However, even they must have a minimal regard for society, and it is obvious that action which undermines society ethically approaches a par with environmental ruin. In our democracy they may well find themselves prosecuted.
Those who submit to authoritarianism are bound by duty and do not break the law, albeit they may indeed protest to authority. Our democracy is content with verbal protest.
Altruists are bound by social responsibility, with a choice between verbal protest and restrained physical protest that may indeed be accepted in our democracy, without prosecution. However, if the global situation deteriorates and is critical, itself a matter of opinion, then mass passive disobedience may be expected. Beyond that!!
Walker

Re: Should Climate Activists Break the Law

Post by Walker »

Climate activists ... :lol:

What a concept.

If folks can't find any problems, they will invent them.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

climate activists who break the law like any eco terrorist should be hung by the heels until nature runs its course...

-Imp
henry quirk

Should Climate Activists Break the Law(?)

Post by henry quirk »

Sure! Hope they're ready to pay the price (which might include gettin' shot).
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:20 pm climate activists who break the law like any eco terrorist should be hung by the heels until nature runs its course...

-Imp
The four ladies of the squad often known for the work they do in the congressional DoB (Dept of Blowjobs) insist that opposition to climate change activists is politically incorrect. Who would want to argue with these skilled ladies and jeopardize their relationship with the highly valued DoB. Consequently violent climate change activism will remain PC.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I would say yes, go for it.

I'm coming close to breaking the law in protest at these new instruments of torture they're calling streetlights, once I get a catapult.

The trouble is I'm not sure that even breaking the law will be enough to put an end to the global economy, and if this survives much longer our ecological system has no future.

The Venusian scenario is now being predicted by some experts as predicted by James Lovelock twenty years ago, probably triggered by methane release. I've heard a few researchers predicting the end of life on earth as early 2040.

I'd say just about anything goes under these circumstances.
Andy M

Post by Andy M »

In the specific case of climate or other ecological activism - I say "no" - but I believe a scenario could exist where it's ethical to not follow some laws, but I think those situations are rare.

Are you more concerned with discussing climate change or exploring the concept of law and questioning it's validity?

Post by Age »

Andy M wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 pm
Are you more concerned with discussing climate change or exploring the concept of law and questioning it's validity?
Great clarifying question, and very good point made through it.