A Philosophy Consumer

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

A Philosophy Consumer

Post by Gary Childress » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:47 am

I'm currently revisiting Descartes in the hopes of refreshing my philosophical knowledge. It's been years since I studied him. So I've blown the dust off the Discourse on Method and Meditations and started reading them again. Also reading some essays in The Cambridge Companion to Descartes as I go along.

I sort of ask myself why I'm doing this, exerting all this effort into something that is probably not going to be of much useful utility for me. I'm not a college professor or a professional philosopher and will probably never use this knowledge, but I guess the answer is, "because I want to." Philosophy has become little more than a kind of hobby for me. Some people collect stamps. Some people build models. I'm reading philosophy. Some people idolize athletes. Some idolize musicians. I idolize great thinkers and philosophers. I guess someone has to buy philosophy books to keep all the great thinkers, translators and publishers employed.

Does anyone else pursue philosophy in this way, just as a hobby. How many "professional" philosophers are here on this forum? Or, why do you read philosophy? Is there some utility or gain in it?

gaffo

Re: A Philosophy Consumer

Post by gaffo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 am

Gary Childress wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:47 am
I'm currently revisiting Descartes in the hopes of refreshing my philosophical knowledge. It's been years since I studied him. So I've blown the dust off the Discourse on Method and Meditations and started reading them again. Also reading some essays in The Cambridge Companion to Descartes as I go along.

I sort of ask myself why I'm doing this, exerting all this effort into something that is probably not going to be of much useful utility for me. I'm not a college professor or a professional philosopher and will probably never use this knowledge, but I guess the answer is, "because I want to." Philosophy has become little more than a kind of hobby for me. Some people collect stamps. Some people build models. I'm reading philosophy. Some people idolize athletes. Some idolize musicians. I idolize great thinkers and philosophers. I guess someone has to buy philosophy books to keep all the great thinkers, translators and publishers employed.
I like Descarte - like you not read his works since decades ago - late 80's.

he and i become Solipists - he at 21 me a 16. So when i first read is works i thought "wow, this great man came to the same conclusion i did independantly"

of course sadly he backslid in his solipsism and ammended his view via his book.

why? no clue, but sadly he did backslid.

Descarte (i ignore his backsliding, he had the mind to think of Solipsism as the only empirical proof prior to backsliding, so still respect him), and Hume (wait! what!? - yes the opposite spectrum - but was apt about empirism as maybe only apperances of conformity - not a higher proof of a Truth of reality) are the two thinkers if respect most.

Gary Childress wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:47 am
Does anyone else pursue philosophy in this way, just as a hobby.
I did as a teen in the 80's, but after self discovery as a 16 yr old of Solipsism, i understood that was as much i could "know" (i.e. i exist right now, and may be all there is) - to continue beyond that meager Truth was beyond my nature, and so i no longer pondered upon the nature of reality/life personally.

since that time, instead i just fiddle with my computer and do gardening.