Quick Questions

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Quick Questions

Post by Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 am

Why Gary, do you think that by asking any old question that you’re in the role of Socrates, trying to prove that you know nothing of great importance?

Think again.

A Socratic dialogue for the purpose of education is a mutually agreed dynamic, and I haven’t agreed for you to be an empty vessel of total, blank-slate ignorance and endless questions who conveniently sprouts leaks in place of thinking.

In a Socratic dialogue for educational purposes, which is a mutually agreed dynamic, a professor has knowledge. A student pays the professor for this knowledge. A professor with knowledge may have the capacity to conduct a Socratic dialogue by asking questions of a student in order to both reveal and elicit the limitations of the student’s knowledge, as it relates to the professor’s knowledge. In order to do this, the professor must have knowledge.

Blank slate ignorance won’t do because there’s plenty of that outside the university and there’s no need for the student to pay for it.

The reason this is an effective method of teaching is because the questions asked of the student, by the one with knowledge, have long been contemplated by the one with knowledge, and so the professor with knowledge, if he’s any good as in, more thoughtful than a rote parrot owned by those of the past, can customize the questions to the situation, the situation which includes the student’s capacity to dance.

Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Walker wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 am
Why Gary, do you think that by asking any old question that you’re in the role of Socrates, trying to prove that you know nothing of great importance?

Think again.

A Socratic dialogue for the purpose of education is a mutually agreed dynamic, and I haven’t agreed for you to be an empty vessel of total, blank-slate ignorance and endless questions who conveniently sprouts leaks in place of thinking.

In a Socratic dialogue for educational purposes, which is a mutually agreed dynamic, a professor has knowledge. A student pays the professor for this knowledge. A professor with knowledge may have the capacity to conduct a Socratic dialogue by asking questions of a student in order to both reveal and elicit the limitations of the student’s knowledge, as it relates to the professor’s knowledge. In order to do this, the professor must have knowledge.

Blank slate ignorance won’t do because there’s plenty of that outside the university and there’s no need for the student to pay for it.

The reason this is an effective method of teaching is because the questions asked of the student, by the one with knowledge, have long been contemplated by the one with knowledge, and so the professor with knowledge, if he’s any good as in, more thoughtful than a rote parrot owned by those of the past, can customize the questions to the situation, the situation which includes the student’s capacity to dance.
A couple things here might help you beyond the muddled confusion in your head. I never said I was Socrates. Go back and read the posts. I was asking questions about your terms, "sciencephile" and "scientific sexing" (which you refused to clarify on). My God, you yourself started this thread with a question and the title of your thread is "quick questions". If you want answers to your questions then sometimes people need to get clear what you are asking. If you don't want others to answer your question, then don't ask.

Walker

Post by Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:29 pm

What a whiner. In life be happy for what you get and quit bitching about what you didn't get.

:lol:

You were given the map straight off, which I then followed to demonstrate, and you ignored.

Here's the map again, for the thread that My God I started.

You have to give more than that to get.

Propose your own answers first.

Count your lucky stars that I straightened you out on the purpose and practice of the Socratic method, Socrates.

8)

Walker

Post by Walker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Gary Childress wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:44 am
Walker wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 am
Gary Childress wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:19 am

Not sure why you can't answer some simple questions concerning your views. Are they that vulnerable?
“I don’t know can you please tell me,” ain’t much of a question, Gary. Not for adults.
Everyone has to start somewhere, even adults. There should be no shame in asking for clarification.

As far as what happened at that library, I agree, it sounds pretty messed up. I don't know about "demonic" but definitely vulgar.
Why don't you go out on a limb and call it demonic.

Then, explain your position, or at least explain why you think that.