Do you think life is more than a play of creativity?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Do you think life is more than a play of creativity?

Post by Lacewing »

By that I mean... is human life significant beyond the human experience of it? Does human life have eternal repercussions? Is human life “serious”? Or is human life just another creation of physical nature expressing potential and its many fluctuations, to be experienced and honored/treasured (or not)... and to rise and fall away as physical nature does?

Please share your perspective... including the reasons why you think as you do.

I do not think life is serious or significant beyond what we make of it. Rather, it’s an expression and an experience. I DO think there is much beauty and value to be gained and shared –- but without need for eternal implications. Humans, themselves, seem to affirm their importance and immortality by authoring such stories and beliefs, but (to me) that seems illogical and suspiciously self-serving, as the rest of nature does not need or operate on such terms.

Since humans are able to fully and consciously share and engage in the experience and vast potential of our natural-born lives, then there’s no compelling reason to believe there must be a larger agenda imposing some kind of seriousness created/imagined by humans themselves. And the ability to accept ourselves as nature, rather than as governed by some eternal agenda, frees us to see and live in more cooperative ways with all of nature.
Impenitent

Re: Do you think life is more than a play of creativity?

Post by Impenitent »

motivations of others, human or not, can never be fully known...

your desire to have everyone "live in more cooperative ways with all of nature" betrays your suggestion that "there’s no compelling reason to believe there must be a larger agenda imposing some kind of seriousness created/imagined by humans themselves."

live as nature intends.... rip the throats out of your prey

-Imp
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Well?

I went to Dairy Queen tonight for a milk shake. I got the milk shake and sat at a table.

As I drank my milk shake, I noticed a little girl jumping from seat to seat.

She noticed that I noticed and when she passed my table she waved and I waved back.

Isn't life neat?

I see the little picture and some of the big picture.

But I am a little guy and so are you.

Is the big picture all that important?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am live as nature intends.... rip the throats out of your prey
This is what you think. And who are you to know what nature "intends"? Surely nature is larger than a single perceived intention.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:59 am Isn't life neat?
I think so. So vibrant and creative.

I smiled at a very young child riding in a grocery cart yesterday... her face was beaming, and her gaze so direct, like some sort of cosmic traveler landing on Earth... ready for the ride!

Yes, seeing little pictures and big pictures... watching how it all plays together and unfolds... utterly magnificent! And we, ourselves, tiny yet also immense... so involved in our experience of life... crafting as we go... such convincing creations... truly fantastic!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:58 pm Humans, themselves, seem to affirm their importance and immortality by authoring such stories and beliefs, but (to me) that seems illogical and suspiciously self-serving, as the rest of nature does not need or operate on such terms.
Many authors appear with their stories and beliefs...but there is only one knower, aware of every story and belief...and that awareness never appeared.

That's what eternal is...it's just this isness this what's happening this appearance appearing to no one.
Last edited by Dontaskme on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 am
Impenitent wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:00 am live as nature intends.... rip the throats out of your prey
This is what you think. And who are you to know what nature "intends"? Surely nature is larger than a single perceived intention.
just keep "cooperating"

-Imp
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 am

I smiled at a very young child riding in a grocery cart yesterday... her face was beaming, and her gaze so direct, like some sort of cosmic traveler landing on Earth... ready for the ride!

Yes, seeing little pictures and big pictures... watching how it all plays together and unfolds... utterly magnificent! And we, ourselves, tiny yet also immense... so involved in our experience of life... crafting as we go... such convincing creations... truly fantastic!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." I am going to read some of your other posts, Lacewing.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:30 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:37 am

"Speak softly and carry a big stick." I am going to read some of your other posts, Lacewing.

I did read dozens of your posts but I was disappointed. You rarely led or taught. Maybe you should try one of these?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:16 pm
just keep "cooperating"

-Imp
Maybe you are the prey!
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

A_Seagull wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:36 pm
just keep "cooperating"

-Imp
Maybe you are the prey!
all are both...

-Imp
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

just keep "cooperating"

-Imp
It's simply one way of doing it. You can also fight... or be disinterested... or get lost in your particular delusions... or countless other choices. Whatever thrills you. The kind of cooperation I speak of is not some superficial action... it's a mindset that acknowledges connectedness across the web of life, and there's naturally a lot of potential in that.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

jayjacobus wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:55 pm I did read dozens of your posts but I was disappointed. You rarely led or taught. Maybe you should try one of these?
Your inability to see insight has nothing to do with me. I am not here to lead or teach you. There is, however, wisdom to be found everywhere if you know how to perceive it.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:29 am
jayjacobus wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:55 pm I did read dozens of your posts but I was disappointed. You rarely led or taught. Maybe you should try one of these?
Your inability to see insight has nothing to do with me. I am not here to lead or teach you. There is, however, wisdom to be found everywhere if you know how to perceive it.
I know how to perceive it.

Do not be offend by what I say.

You are the judge.

Are you more than that?

It's not for me to say.

But I say it nevertheless.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I would agree it is the play of creativity, but this is a serious business.

Those who claim to know the truth of this matter say that 'enlightenment' comes with a great big belly-laugh.

After all, if Reality is limitless then from a certain perspective it has to be infinitely funny.

The problem I have with your question is that it assumes that the 'play of creativity' has no 'eternal implications'. I'd strongly disagree. I would say its eternal (or metaphysical) implication is that Reality is creative and expressive but only in the contingent and relative realm. It therefore points beyond itself to the true nature of Reality and the place of human beings.

You might like to look up the meaning in Hinduism of the word 'Lila' if you don't know it.