Is having children the most selfish act on earth?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Is having children the most selfish act on earth?

Post by 11011 »

:?
Eodnhoj7

Re: Is having children the most selfish act on earth?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

11011 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:09 pm:?
Is not having children the most selfish act on earth?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:23 pm
Seriously, what is the most selfish act on earth?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:28 pm
Rage/Lust/Vanity considering all are interwined as one and extend into the other vices thus causing perceptual problems which reflect into everyday interactions.

Perception is the universal basic act of all consciousness and as such the "most selfish act" is grounded in the nature of perception.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Could it be robbery? or even murder? rape? But the most selfish act doesn’t have to be a crime, just so long as it is the negation of altruism.

Whatever it is, the world’s most selfish act must be completely uncaring toward the wants and needs of others. Perhaps the most selfish act will quash the wants and needs of the greatest number of people, like an act of terrorism or a command to launch the missile that annihilates the world in a nuclear conflagration or the act of diverting a source of water so that only the selfish one’s crops are irrigated.

Then again, perhaps the most selfish act on earth is a post on FB.
Logik

Post by Logik »

commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:59 pm Could it be robbery? or even murder? rape? But the most selfish act doesn’t have to be a crime, just so long as it is the negation of altruism.
Altruism is selfish. Yay dopamine!
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Logik wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:59 pm Could it be robbery? or even murder? rape? But the most selfish act doesn’t have to be a crime, just so long as it is the negation of altruism.
Altruism is selfish. Yay dopamine!
Altruism is selfish of the altruistic individual. For everyone else it’s a pain.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Pretending you know the truth when you don't.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

2 kids are ok, more then it begins to be selfish!
Logik

Post by Logik »

commonsense wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:21 am Altruism is selfish of the altruistic individual. For everyone else it’s a pain.
Don't think so. I think altruism is nature's way of setting up win-win relationships.

You <do some selfless act> and you get rewarded for it with dopamine.

You are happy. The person you helped is happy. Game theory at play.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

A_Seagull wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:18 am
Pretending you know the truth when you don't.
Is there no distinction between the egotistical behavior you describe and the selfish acts proffered by others?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Logik wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:15 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:21 am Altruism is selfish of the altruistic individual. For everyone else it’s a pain.
Don't think so. I think altruism is nature's way of setting up win-win relationships.

You <do some selfless act> and you get rewarded for it with dopamine.

You are happy. The person you helped is happy. Game theory at play.
I agree with you.

What I meant by “others” was not the recipients of someone’s altruism, but rather I meant non-altruistic people in general, or perhaps selfish people. For them altruistic behavior most likely would be difficult.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Is having children selfish because it contributes to the depletion of resources without regard for the needs of others?

Is “family always comes first” another way of saying that the plight of humanity is a second place priority?

Post by 11011 »

if selfishness is gaining for one's self at some cost for another (without future compensation to balance), then the most selfish act is gaining entirely for one's self with no benefit whatsoever to the other, only harm.

since appreciation for life or desire to live (and therefore everything else that might be appreciated in life, any sort of compensation) occurs after the fact - after you are born, enter the world, realize you can't easily get out or otherwise feel various internal and external pressures to live - there is absolutely no benefit to being born for the unborn child.

therefore, those who bring such into the world are utterly selfish, knowing full well from their own experience of life (albeit usually repressed) that the desire to live depends entirely on being alive, and that minus the pressures internal and external of being alive (fear of death, loneliness in death, fear of separation, fear of uncertainty, etc.), that is all the things that make you want to live and 'appreciate' life after the fact (post-birth), no person in retrospect would want to be born, and that since this initial desire isn't really there, cannot be compensated at all for the cost to them of being born when alive by any worldly procurement, since those procurements only have meaning post-birth.
Logik

Post by Logik »

commonsense wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:29 pm I agree with you.

What I meant by “others” was not the recipients of someone’s altruism, but rather I meant non-altruistic people in general, or perhaps selfish people. For them altruistic behavior most likely would be difficult.
We are tripping over language... I am saying that altruists are selfish because they chase the dopamine.

Perhaps what you mean by "selfish" is somebody who assumes interactions to be prisoners' dilemmas?

e.g games where win-win is impossible so "if somebody is going to lose it's not going to be me" mentality.