intelligence

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: intelligence

Post by Dontaskme »

jayjacobus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm Is artificial intelligence, intelligent or a substitute for intelligent?
Artificial intelligence is intelligence.

Logik

Post by Logik »

jayjacobus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:43 pm But is artficial intelligence truly what it is said to be, intelligent, or should it be called something else, so it is not misunderstood by laymen?
You are still stuck in an ontological mindset where 'truth' is anything other than a concept/abstraction.

We do not know what intelligence is. All definitions of 'intelligence' are stipulative.
Stimulative definitions are simply different from one another, but there is no one definition which is "True' or "Correct".

I don't know what intelligence is, but I know that if it lacks adaptive qualities (e.g ability to learn) it's not intelligent. And so I refuse to speak about intelligence in positive claims.

What I cannot create I do not understand. --Richard Feynman
Last edited by Logik on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Modify means to make changes to (something), typically so as to improve it or to make it less extreme.
Replace means to provide or find a substitute for (something that is broken, old, or inoperative).

Computers can modify how people do their work but don't replace them.
AI can replace them. At least that is the fear.
Logik

Post by Logik »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:03 pm Computers can modify how people do their work but don't replace them.
AI can replace them. At least that is the fear.
It's not that simple. Some tasks which required humans no longer do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi/20 ... 254306f140

And so those people are going to find new jobs. The question is "Do thenew jobs exist?" Probably. Kiosk technicians.
"Can the cashiers do the new jobs?". Not without learning new skills.

And even after "Cashier" acquires new skills to become "Kiosk Technician" you no longer need 100 cashiers.
You now only need 1 technician.

Transportation and logistics is the global sector which hires the highest number of people. And self-driving vehicles are going to change that.
Are self-driving cars intelligent? No. But they are good enough!

And so the question isn't "Should I fear being replaced by AI?", but rather "Should I fear being replaced by trivial automata?"
Some people's jobs are that menial and trivial.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Positions about controversial issues depend in part on your perspective and your situation.

Ai will modified how an executive does his job but won't replace him.

His situation (and future) leads to his perspective.

I understand see that.
Logik

Post by Logik »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:41 pm Positions about controversional issues depend in part on your perspective and your situation.

Ai will modified how an executive does his job but won't replace him.

His situation (and future) leads to his perspective.

I understand see that.
This is colloquially known as the value alignment problem.

If one defines "intelligence" as the ability to realize one's goals and vision then we must make damn sure that the AI shares human goals.

Here is a thought-experiment which is meant to demonstrate why mis-alignment of values can be disastrous even without malice on behalf of the AI: https://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Paperclip_maximizer

It goes by many names actually. Instrumental convergence talks about similar problems.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

I think that artificial intelligence is a substitute for intelligence. That's it.

It doesn't modify intelligence. It replaces intelligence.

If you can use my position to discuss value, do so but I am not there yet.
Logik

Post by Logik »

jayjacobus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:31 pm I think that artificial intelligence is a substitute for intelligence. That's it.

It doesn't modify intelligence. It replaces intelligence.
Yep. That sums it up in a way.

For certain kind of problems AI is a cheaper alternative to bio intelligence.
jayjacobus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:31 pm If you can use my position to discuss value, do so but I am not there yet.
It's as easy as asking "why is intelligence valuable and to whom?"

Here's some reasons: robots don't tire, robots don't strike, robots don't ask for raises or leave. Robots are cheap to train/upgrade, cheap to maintain and work 24/7.

Intelligent Machines are The Perfect Slave. IF you can remain the Master.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Can we count on your support?

Post by 11011 »

intelligent? as in, helps achieve intended goals? then artificial intelligence is intelligent. that one implication or potential implication is that it dumbs some people down is moot. that is their decision/misuse. that does not make it inherently unintelligent - rather it makes some humans :)

i mean, where would mathematics be without the calculator? doesn't artificial intelligence just automate/assist human mental activity? what about statistics...imagine having to write all that out.

fundamentally, we cannot advance further unless we automate what we've achieved thus far, otherwise we dedicate all our time and energy to just maintaining wherever we're at; and as our advancements become more complex so too must their automation in nature. at this point, that requires 'artificial intelligence'
Last edited by 11011 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Yes, yes but what about

"Public affairs work combines government relations, media communications, issue management, corporate and social responsibility, information dissemination and strategic communications advice. Practitioners aim to influence public policy, build and maintain a strong reputation and find common ground with stakeholders."
bahman

Post by bahman »

jayjacobus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:37 pm Is artificial intelligence, intelligent or a substitute for intelligent?
We possibly can create a thing which can have conscious thought from a context, inteligence. The current machines in my opinion do not have this ability.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

A rabbit or a spider may seem conscious but how can we know? A computer my seem conscious but how can we know particularly if it is driven by processing rather than senses? Is conscious to numbers, the same as conscious to appearances?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

If I am writing about technical issues beyond my knowledge, shame on me. If I am being misled, shame on you.

A rose is a rose. A plastic rose is not.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Why call a cyborg a cyborg? Why not call it something less threatening like a bionic human? And then when it's intelligence is replaced can't we still call it human? You can, if you change the meaning of "human" to "having human capabilities".

Is AI a synonym for intelligence? Some people want us to think that.