Why are we here on a philosophy forum?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Why are we here on a philosophy forum?

Post by attofishpi »

Me, it's because I want to test my understanding of something extremely pro_found, and the reasoning of other intelligent minds at the other end of keyboards..with what I suggest to them.

What about you?

PS...and learn from you.
melancocky

Re: Why are we here on a philosophy forum?

Post by melancocky »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 am Me, it's because I want to test my understanding of something extremely pro_found, and the reasoning of other intelligent minds at the other end of keyboards..with what I suggest to them.

What about you?
I want to find truth about being and reality, whatever that means and wherever it leads.
I also want to make friends with others who feel this longing to know reality.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

melancocky wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 am
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:32 am Me, it's because I want to test my understanding of something extremely pro_found, and the reasoning of other intelligent minds at the other end of keyboards..with what I suggest to them.

What about you?
I want to find truth about being and reality, whatever that means and wherever it leads.
I also want to make friends with others who feel this longing to know reality.
Well said. It's been a quest for us both, i'm sure, since we had the magnitude of thought to wonder why a ripple forms when we break the surface of a puddle with our feet.

At the stage I am at, I wonder what it is that is the nature of the entity that constructs our reality.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

PS - Regarding understanding the nature of reality. The intricacies of logic placed within this common protocol is a reasonable place to start..

For example:-
Why do we walk on our souls? Why is heal so close to our soul? Why is heel so close to our sole? Why do we walk on our soles?
melancocky

Post by melancocky »

You had me at "the nature of the entity that constructs our reality." I am dying to know the relationship between my consciousness and reality (which would include the possible creator).

You lost me at the protocol and shoe stuff. I don't understand what you mean.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

melancocky wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:53 am 1. You had me at "the nature of the entity that constructs our reality." I am dying to know the relationship between my consciousness and reality (which would include the possible creator).

2. You lost me at the protocol and shoe stuff. I don't understand what you mean.
Point 2. is easier to address so i'll just go there. I am talking about our method of communication re protocol. - the English language - it has (if you can allow yourself to consider that there is a 3rd party intelligence as a backbone to our reality) logical intricacies embedded within.

The example I gave was based on a primary principle of under.standing the logical intricacies - that of homophones.

...in other words - if we are in a system where a 3rd party intelligence 'constructs' our reality then, comprehend that our common form of communication around the world - English has logical intricacies embedded within it. (a sage taught me so).
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

melancocky wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:53 am 1. You had me at "the nature of the entity that constructs our reality." I am dying to know the relationship between my consciousness and reality (which would include the possible creator).
Regarding, point 1 ..that's perhaps the biggest quest_ion we have.

David Chalmers I feel is the bloke balls in deep on this quest. I suggested to him that, just as an electronic component on a circuit board functions via its account of anode to cathode, that perhaps our consciousness - where we can feel a scratch on the back of our hand, is courtesy of our reality being input to our being back to dark matter\energy. It was a long shot, but he did suggest it may require just the right crazy idea!

I really think there is something far deeper to our ability to 'sense' than just a pile of biological matter, especially from my understanding of the 3rd party intelligence.

Perhaps for us to be conscious requires us to inhale from the light to the dark!
Logik

Post by Logik »

I am avoiding doing the soul-destroying work of completing my dry and boring masters thesis by pursuing things which are far more amusing to me.

Undermining "logicians" and "mathematicians". In the process I seem to be producing work that my supervisor says could easily translate into a PhD thesis. I think I have shot myself in the foot (or he is just playing me to get me to finish my original thesis).

I think bar-procrastination is far safer.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:39 pm I am avoiding doing the soul-destroying work of completing my dry and boring masters thesis by pursuing things which are far more amusing to me.

Undermining "logicians" and "mathematicians". In the process I seem to be producing work that my supervisor says could easily translate into a PhD thesis. I think I have shot myself in the foot (or he is just playing me to get me to finish my original thesis).

I think bar-procrastination is far safer.
You find the forum an amusement!?

Apart from an art painting project which the sage has pretty much forced me to do, I write cyberpunk. My point being in relation to yours and said supervisor, is that external stimuli can be amazing to fire the neurons and take things on a different tack. For example - I was a little 'writer blocked' the other night so I went over my local, ordered a cider (2am-they keep the pub open for saps that play pokie machines) with a pencil and A4 piece of paper. As I walked in, there were loud mouths carrying on about the only thing that gives their lives meaning - footy - so I thought, shit aint gonna get inspired here, I put some headphones on but the people were so loud...anyway, the pencil flowed, ideas for my sequel book materialised more than I could have imagined under the circumstances.
I'm not particularly well educated compared to many around here, but I think, and I could be wrong, that your thesis must be boring because it is constrained by way of being fixed in logic - perhaps computer science, not much room to move with new ideas?

Hey, but at least the forum is an outlet for you - we all bounce our ideas off of each other, but more importantly, test our own.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm You find the forum an amusement!?
An amusing distraction
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm Apart from an art painting project which the sage has pretty much forced me to do, I write cyberpunk. My point being in relation to yours and said supervisor, is that external stimuli can be amazing to fire the neurons and take things on a different tack.
My full-time job offers more than enough challenges and hard problems to fire up the neurons and is ahead of academia by a few decades.
As a result academia offers absolute no new insight. In fact - more knowledge exists outside of the institution than in, so I am not sure who is doing who a favour at the moment. They should be paying ME for my insights.
My choice to become a student has (in hind sight) been a mistake.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm I'm not particularly well educated compared to many around here, but I think, and I could be wrong, that your thesis must be boring because it is constrained by way of being fixed in logic - perhaps computer science, not much room to move with new ideas?
For varying definitions of "educated". I am an autodidact.

Computer science is pretty much "the world is what you make it". Bar the hard problems (limits) imposed by physics.
Mathematics is largely a huge bag of solutions without problems...

Find what makes you happy and do a LOT of it. For some people that's hookers and blow.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:28 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm You find the forum an amusement!?
An amusing distraction
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm Apart from an art painting project which the sage has pretty much forced me to do, I write cyberpunk. My point being in relation to yours and said supervisor, is that external stimuli can be amazing to fire the neurons and take things on a different tack.
My full-time job offers more than enough challenges and hard problems to fire up the neurons and is ahead of academia by a few decades.
As a result academia offers absolute no new insight. In fact - more knowledge exists outside of the institution than in, so I am not sure who is doing who a favour at the moment. They should be paying ME for my insights.
My choice to become a student has (in hind sight) been a mistake.
attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:22 pm I'm not particularly well educated compared to many around here, but I think, and I could be wrong, that your thesis must be boring because it is constrained by way of being fixed in logic - perhaps computer science, not much room to move with new ideas?
For varying definitions of "educated". I am an autodidact.

Computer science is pretty much "the world is what you make it". Bar the hard problems (limits) imposed by physics.
Mathematics is largely a huge bag of solutions without problems...

Find what makes you happy and do a LOT of it. For some people that's hookers and blow.
Yes, I think I am an autodidact also - I have educated myself since leaving formal education far more than any education within the system. Perhaps it is because we can tailor our own education to what we are interested in. When I studied IT in the early 90s we didn't even have a networked computer system, but we were learning about PC networking.
I loved programming, but I found it addictive, like a puzzle that needed to be solved. Where I live there was little opportunity unless you had experience and a degree, but it was never my destiny. I still find it a handy tool to have, but the arts appears to be my calling.
I feel like I have a bit of knowledge about many subjects, whereas education systems appear to focus you on one particular field, and some people just don't think outside the box.
What is your thesis?

..actually - I should add, I am rather an expert compared to anyone I have ever met or discussed with on this forum re the 3rd party intelligence behind the construct of reality - but that renders me a wack job to many! :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Logik wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:28 pmFind what makes you happy and do a LOT of it. For some people that's hookers and blow.
I don't like fishing much. Not sure what sort of hooks one would use for a blowfish, and whether one would want to catch one.
Logik

Post by Logik »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:48 pm I don't like fishing much. Not sure what sort of hooks one would use for a blowfish, and whether one would want to catch one.
Then try Bingo.
Walker

Post by Walker »

What about you?

PS...and learn from you.
I’ve observed that a few here have grasped a principle from Socrates, which Castaneda echoes in the sense that a petty tyrant is a great gift for your development, and if you don’t have one then do yourself a favour.

For moi, it's about integration of realization into skillful means.
Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

The general philosophy forums permit freedom to speak more freely than on specific ones that limit "how" people can speak on specific topics. You can't speak about scientific theories or challenge unconventional ideas on most science forums, for instance. You can also get a 'feel' for how others think across different areas. Specific philosophies can have limited audience in their own forums that miss details that can also help you recognize something you miss.

This is also a place to take a break from the real world upon demand. If you're limited to discuss something specific you have in mind but no one is around to share it, a general philosophy forum permits you immediate relief either to express this or to be inspired by others....hopefully.