Revolution in Thought

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:... but you do seem to want to withhold important, crazy sounding details of your agenda, from those who have not yet paid the entry fee - which forces such comparisons to be made.
What entry fee? I cannot share the entire book, sorry. I have to choose the subject that is the most important for the purposes of bringing this discovery to light. Once again, this is not my first rodeo and I'm not willing to change the subject just because you want me to, when I know where it will lead. Let it go Dangerpants.
Nobody really wants you to share the whole book, we don't want to read it, what he ave seen so far is bad.
You have the power of description and explanation, please begin to use it, describe this weird faster than light vision thing.
Don't hide behind a book you are unlikely to be selling to anybody here.

Your rodeos are your problem. Your desire to hide crazy sounding things from us until you have our money simply illustrates that you are just here to sell us something.
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:Obviously you don't agree with the above. So please explain how you think a smaller scale experiment could be used to legitimately (in your eyes) falsify your principle
.

Any simulation is going to be a microcosm of the real thing, but it would help. That being said, it would be difficult to create a no blame environment on a small scale to mimic what this knowledge can do for the betterment of humankind.
You said this thing was falsifiable, and you said " Geeeezzeee!!!!" to go with it. Now you are consenting that it is not.

Geeeezzeee!!!!

Belinda
Posts: 2867
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Revolution in Thought

Post by Belinda » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Peacegirl's claim is so enormous and boastful that she won't persuade anyone to read the book unless it's recommended by accepted authorities.
Even if the book was well written that might help a publisher's reader to take it seriously.

Logik
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Revolution in Thought

Post by Logik » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Belinda wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm
Peacegirl's claim is so enormous and boastful that she won't persuade anyone to read the book unless it's recommended by accepted authorities.
Even if the book was well written that might help a publisher's reader to take it seriously.
You can get Feynman, Einstein, Hawking and Susskind to endorse it and I still wouldn't read it.

When you learn how to tell the difference between shit and Shinola all for yourself no amount of endorsement helps.

Unfalsifiable means "I got this 100% right!"
Unfalsifiable means "bullshit"

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 4755
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Post by henry quirk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:21 pm

"Peacegirl's claim is so enormous and boastful that she won't persuade anyone to read the book unless it's recommended by accepted authorities."

God Himself in Heaven Above can't convince me what's wrong is right.

PG's dad is wrong.

Belinda
Posts: 2867
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Revolution in Thought

Post by Belinda » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Logik wrote:
You can get Feynman, Einstein, Hawking and Susskind to endorse it and I still wouldn't read it.
Neither would I. But I'd bet £100 they would not endorse it.

The only thing I like about it is the bare fact that the author is self-taught and I'd give him some rope because of that.

Logik
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: Revolution in Thought

Post by Logik » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Belinda wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:56 pm
Logik wrote:
You can get Feynman, Einstein, Hawking and Susskind to endorse it and I still wouldn't read it.
Neither would I. But I'd bet £100 they would not endorse it.

The only thing I like about it is the bare fact that the author is self-taught and I'd give him some rope because of that.
I am self-taught.

The author gives autodidacts a bad name.

Also, I'd make the £100 bet too...

peacegirl
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by peacegirl » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Logik wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 pm
At this moment, not coming back to this thread would be in the direction of dissatisfaction, which I cannot do.
So you are an addict?

Log off, close your window and be done with it.
When I’m ready I will.
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 pm
This doesn't mean I can't leave like I'm just a domino in a causal chain. Later today, when enough people insult me, the alternative to leave here may be my choice in the direction of greater satisfaction. Remember, each and every moment offers a different set of alternatives based on different options.
“Logik” wrote:So what you are saying is that what is dissatisfactory now may be satisfactory later? And what is satisfactory now may be dissatisfactory later ?
Example: I’m tired so I get satisfaction going to sleep. I wake up and find that I’m not satisfied to lay in bed so I move in the direction of greater satisfaction to get up. We do this all day long.
“Logik” wrote:Which would be a general and completely non-specific claim.
You don’t seem to care why it matters.

peacegirl
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: Revolution in Thought

Post by peacegirl » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Belinda wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:53 pm
Peacegirl's claim is so enormous and boastful that she won't persuade anyone to read the book unless it's recommended by accepted authorities.
Even if the book was well written that might help a publisher's reader to take it seriously.
I’m sorry that it’s a big claim but what can I say? 😏 That doesn’t make it boastful.

Logik
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by Logik » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm
You don’t seem to care why it matters.
It doesn't matter.

If you don't know what person A finds satisfactory and how it's different to person B's satisfaction you can't predict anything about other people.
And if their satisfactions change moment to moment - you've really told us nothing useful whatsoever.

You have obfuscated the meaning of the word "satisfaction" to be so broad as to be "anything that people do".

peacegirl
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by peacegirl » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Logik wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm
You don’t seem to care why it matters.
It doesn't matter.

If you don't know what person A finds satisfactory and how it's different to person B's satisfaction you can't predict anything about other people.
And if their satisfactions change moment to moment - you've really told us nothing useful whatsoever.
Logik you have no clue. It’s not useful because you don’t understand the discovery. I said this understanding that we always move in the direction of greater satisfaction is the gateway to the discovery. Why don’t any of you listen?

Logik
Posts: 4048
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by Logik » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm

peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Logik you have no clue. It’s not useful because you don’t understand the discovery. I said this understanding that we always move in the direction of greater satisfaction is the gateway to the discovery. Why don’t any of you listen?
Have you ever heard this quote? If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

Perhaps you should listen?

Your dad's "discovery" isn't valuable in any way. It's unfalsifiable and therefore a truism.

FlashDangerpants
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Revolution in Thought

Post by FlashDangerpants » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 pm

-1- wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
Also, please, answer this, I beg you: is the book written by a person whose moniker on this site is "prof"?
It turns out to be sadder than that. Prof has only wasted his own life promoting an obviously junk theory to a world that doesn't care.
This poor sap has inherited that sort of thing as a family business.

Nick_A
Posts: 3962
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by Nick_A » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:09 pm

Logik wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:57 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm
Obviously you don't agree with the above. So please explain how you think a smaller scale experiment could be used to legitimately (in your eyes) falsify your principle.
All she needs to do to meet this criterion is to provide an example of what she would deem to be a choice that goes against one's greater satisfaction.

To make it even simpler: she can even give us an example in her own behaviour and decision-making where she would consider one of her own choices to be a choice against her own "greatest satisfaction".

She openly admits she can't do that.

If you don't know how to falsify your own hypothesis, while at the same time you dismiss valid couter-examples you are basically doing everything in your power to defend your religion.


All she needs to do to meet this criterion is to provide an example of what she would deem to be a choice that goes against one's greater satisfaction.

You are describing a sexual prostitute who by definition is sacrificing a greater inner satisfaction for the lesser external satisfaction from cash. Of course if the person doesn't "feel" the difference they are not prostituting themselves but just being normal for their given quality of being.

peacegirl
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by peacegirl » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Logik wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Logik you have no clue. It’s not useful because you don’t understand the discovery. I said this understanding that we always move in the direction of greater satisfaction is the gateway to the discovery. Why don’t any of you listen?
Have you ever heard this quote? If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

Perhaps you should listen?

Your dad's "discovery" isn't valuable in any way. It's unfalsifiable and therefore a truism.
You are all washed up. I've said over and over that this "truism" isn't the discovery. But I already see the writing on the wall, and I'm in humor mode because it's ironically humorous that you think you're the quintessential think tank, when you are anything but. As you all look at me as some kind of fundie, I look at all of you all as arrogant, pompous know-it-all's. You all think because you took philosophy in school you now are experts on epistemology, but you're experts on nothing. Each group I have encountered, there was a lesson to be learned, and my time here has been no exception. But all good things must come to an end. :mrgreen:
Last edited by peacegirl on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peacegirl
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Re: why this thread is goin' nowhere (and never will)

Post by peacegirl » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 pm

FlashDangerpants wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 pm
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:... but you do seem to want to withhold important, crazy sounding details of your agenda, from those who have not yet paid the entry fee - which forces such comparisons to be made.
What entry fee? I cannot share the entire book, sorry. I have to choose the subject that is the most important for the purposes of bringing this discovery to light. Once again, this is not my first rodeo and I'm not willing to change the subject just because you want me to, when I know where it will lead. Let it go Dangerpants.
Nobody really wants you to share the whole book, we don't want to read it, what he ave seen so far is bad.
You have the power of description and explanation, please begin to use it, describe this weird faster than light vision thing.
Don't hide behind a book you are unlikely to be selling to anybody here.

Your rodeos are your problem. Your desire to hide crazy sounding things from us until you have our money simply illustrates that you are just here to sell us something.
peacegirl wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:14 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote:Obviously you don't agree with the above. So please explain how you think a smaller scale experiment could be used to legitimately (in your eyes) falsify your principle
.

Any simulation is going to be a microcosm of the real thing, but it would help. That being said, it would be difficult to create a no blame environment on a small scale to mimic what this knowledge can do for the betterment of humankind.
You said this thing was falsifiable, and you said " Geeeezzeee!!!!" to go with it. Now you are consenting that it is not.

Geeeezzeee!!!!
You are the one that said it's unfalsifiable because anything short of large scale proof (not just a small simulation) would mean nothing.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Impenitent, Skepdick and 2 guests