Freedom

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RWStanding

Freedom

Post by RWStanding »

The term Free has a purely mechanical meaning as a wheel that is free.
Or that people are capable of doing or acquiring something.
It also has an ethical meaning
And that can only be expressed in ethical terms, as defining the social-personal purpose that it is used for.
And the social purpose is not the mechanical purpose but its end-value.
Impenitent

Re: Freedom

Post by Impenitent »

freedom isn't free

-Imp
Charm

Re: Freedom

Post by Charm »

RWStanding wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm The term Free has a purely mechanical meaning as a wheel that is free.
Or that people are capable of doing or acquiring something.
It also has an ethical meaning
And that can only be expressed in ethical terms, as defining the social-personal purpose that it is used for.
And the social purpose is not the mechanical purpose but its end-value.
Freedom is a moral form.. We do grasp such forms in action.. We know if we are free or not, or if we feel free, or not.. These moral forms are considered as transcendent concepts.. These are only quasi concept, as we cannot define them as we might define a square, or a pound, or a gallon; that is: As we might define physical objects.. Freedom is like truth, God, happiness, courage, good or beauty; and these are in the eye of the beholder, and subjective.. I can't say in talking of freedom if I even mean the same quality as your freedom.. This is why these spiritual senses, these notions are behind so much confusion, misunderstanding, and war.. We cannot define them, and yet they define us.. They are not like concepts of the physical world that have both being, and meaning, but rather are entirely meaning.. Because we know them by examples which cannot ever be reproduced exactly, what we are dealing with is an infinite number of similar situations, some times with similar results, and so much so that they are infinite in our lives which are finite.. We know such forms hold great meaning since people are willing not only to kill for their moral forms, but also to die.. And yet, because they cannot speak clearly of them, they do not have the vocabulary to resolve their differences.. Voltaire said if you would discuss with me; define your terms.. This is really impossible with moral forms, and yet they are essential to human progress and survival.. Truth is essential to all people and all societies because the smallest false detail hurts them, but too untruth destroys all societies.. And with truth we can see it in action.. I ride motorcycles, good motorcycles, old XS1100s.. In my motors is truth.. The whole bike is truth.. If the fuel is not fuel, it will not run.. If the metallurgy is not true and correct, the engine will come to pieces.. The oil must be as true as the engineering.. And societies, communities, and individual relationships must also be true.. There may always be those who think their freedom is worth more than another's, or who will cast their brothers into slavery.. Masters are no more free than slaves.. One is slave to his master, and the other is slave to his system which he cannot live without.. This is true of truth, that some people treat knowledge as power, and keep it to themselves when it is better and safer for any society to widely share every quality that makes people strong.. The choice to take strength out of ones society, and leave the society weak in the face of enemies is the choice of suicide.. These are choices people make that seem superficially to their benefit, but which long term do deadly damage to all of the people..