For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

Studies of Meaning vs Happiness

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-ha ... gful-life/

greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/happy_life_different_from_meaningful_life

news.stanford.edu/news/2014/january/meaningful-happy-life-010114.html

"The unhappy but meaningful life involves difficult undertakings and can be characterized by stress, struggle and challenges. However, while sometimes unhappy in the moment, these people – connected to a larger sense of purpose and value – make positive contributions to society.

Happiness without meaning is characterized by a relatively shallow and often self-oriented life, in which things go well, needs and desires are easily satisfied, and difficult or taxing entanglements are avoided, the report noted.

And so, the meaningful life guides actions from the past through the present to the future, giving one a sense of direction. It offers ways to value good and bad alike, and gives us justifications for our aspirations. From achieving our goals to regarding ourselves in a positive light, a life of meaningfulness is considerably different than mere happiness.

"People have strong inner desires that shape their lives with purpose and focus – qualities that ultimately make for a uniquely human experience," said Aaker."
Lacewing

Re: Studies of Meaning vs Happiness

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 pm "The unhappy but meaningful life involves difficult undertakings and can be characterized by stress, struggle and challenges. However, while sometimes unhappy in the moment, these people – connected to a larger sense of purpose and value – make positive contributions to society.

Happiness without meaning is characterized by a relatively shallow and often self-oriented life, in which things go well, needs and desires are easily satisfied, and difficult or taxing entanglements are avoided, the report noted.

And so, the meaningful life guides actions from the past through the present to the future, giving one a sense of direction. It offers ways to value good and bad alike, and gives us justifications for our aspirations. From achieving our goals to regarding ourselves in a positive light, a life of meaningfulness is considerably different than mere happiness.
I think meaning and happiness are just concepts that do not perform or relate or result in any particular or consistent way. Meaning can be assigned in all kinds of ways while being independent or dependent on emotions or ideas from moment to moment. Happiness seems like a state of mind that can be independent or dependent on circumstances from moment to moment. I think meaning and happiness are simply a few conceptual ways (of a vast number) for experiencing/interpreting life for which there ultimately are no rules for what life/experience is or must be.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

A consistent basis to meaningful happiness will lead to a meaningful life.

The fundamental of life is driven by either pleasure [in degrees - happiness] or pain.
Evolutionary and fundamentally whatever aligns with the purpose of life [whatever that is] will trigger pleasure, joy and happiness.
Being human, many people will abuse [drugs, sadism, etc.] this inherent emotion of happiness. Thus what is necessary is for one to cultivate meaningful happiness.

Note my often quoted Aristotle's on emotions [anger as an example].
  • Anybody can become angry [be happy] - that is easy, but to be angry [meaningfully happy]
    -with the right person and
    -to the right degree and
    -at the right time and
    -for the right purpose, and
    -in the right way
    ---that is not within everybody's power and is not easy
    Aritotle
Thus a consistent basis to meaningful happiness will lead to a meaningful life.

The $6 million question is HOW to do it?
If there is a philosopy will, there is a way!
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 pm "The unhappy but meaningful life involves difficult undertakings and can be characterized by stress, struggle and challenges. However, while sometimes unhappy in the moment, these people – connected to a larger sense of purpose and value – make positive contributions to society.

I think meaning and happiness are just concepts that do not perform or relate or result in any particular or consistent way. Meaning can be assigned in all kinds of ways while being independent or dependent on emotions or ideas from moment to moment. Happiness seems like a state of mind that can be independent or dependent on circumstances from moment to moment. I think meaning and happiness are simply a few conceptual ways (of a vast number) for experiencing/interpreting life for which there ultimately are no rules for what life/experience is or must be.
If there are no rules...then why do we put phenomenon into clearly definable "limits"?
bahman

Post by bahman »

I wish you could define meaning.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:23 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 am I think meaning and happiness are simply a few conceptual ways (of a vast number) for experiencing/interpreting life for which there ultimately are no rules for what life/experience is or must be.
If there are no rules...then why do we put phenomenon into clearly definable "limits"?
Because WE are limited, and we measure and define according to our own limits in order to "possess and know".
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:26 am I think meaning and happiness are simply a few conceptual ways (of a vast number) for experiencing/interpreting life for which there ultimately are no rules for what life/experience is or must be.
Because WE are limited, and we measure and define according to our own limits in order to "possess and know".
And do you "possess" this statement?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 pm
I guess I pretend that I do. :)

What do you think you possess?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Lacewing wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Foolishness and Hypocrisy.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm

You just defined every human.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Logik wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:03 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm

You just defined every human.
I suppose so.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 pm www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-ha ... gful-life/

"The unhappy but meaningful life involves difficult undertakings and can be characterized by stress, struggle and challenges. However, while sometimes unhappy in the moment, these people – connected to a larger sense of purpose and value – make positive contributions to society.

"People have strong inner desires that shape their lives with purpose and focus – qualities that ultimately make for a uniquely human experience," said Aaker."
As author Grewal asserts, a happy life may not be meaningful; I take it from this that a happy life may or may not be meaningful. In similar fashion, an unhappy life may or may not be meaningless. By the same claim, a happy or unhappy life may be meaningful or meaningless.

The above says it all, and yet it says nothing useful. Surprisingly, Grewal goes on to compare life’s happiness with its meaningfulness, anyway.

Grewal cites a study by Baumeister. et al, in which a positive correlation between self-reported happiness and self-reported meaningfulness is described. I don’t doubt this, however a positive correlation could also be found between happiness and a lack of meaningfulness.

If the 400 participants had been ranked according to how often they pondered the meaningfulness of life, I predict it would be found that there is a positive correlation between how little an individual thinks about the meaningfulness of life and that person’s happiness. In other terms: ignorance is bliss, or the more ignorant one is about the meaningfulness of one’s life, the more blissful one finds his life to be.

However, the Baumeister study found that the more one is aware of the meaning in his life, the more happy the life will be.

So, if one considers the meaningfulness of life a lot or very little, one is likely to have a happy life, and vice versa.

Even if its conclusions were trivial, the article was thought proviking.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

commonsense wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 pm www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-ha ... gful-life/

As author Grewal asserts, a happy life may not be meaningful; I take it from this that a happy life may or may not be meaningful. In similar fashion, an unhappy life may or may not be meaningless. By the same claim, a happy or unhappy life may be meaningful or meaningless.

The above says it all, and yet it says nothing useful. Surprisingly, Grewal goes on to compare life’s happiness with its meaningfulness, anyway.

Grewal cites a study by Baumeister. et al, in which a positive correlation between self-reported happiness and self-reported meaningfulness is described. I don’t doubt this, however a positive correlation could also be found between happiness and a lack of meaningfulness.

If the 400 participants had been ranked according to how often they pondered the meaningfulness of life, I predict it would be found that there is a positive correlation between how little an individual thinks about the meaningfulness of life and that person’s happiness. In other terms: ignorance is bliss, or the more ignorant one is about the meaningfulness of one’s life, the more blissful one finds his life to be.

However, the Baumeister study found that the more one is aware of the meaning in his life, the more happy the life will be.

So, if one considers the meaningfulness of life a lot or very little, one is likely to have a happy life, and vice versa.

Even if its conclusions were trivial, the article was thought proviking.
And what is "useful" if "usefullness" is defined by determining whether or not something is a means to something else? Usefullness sets the foundation for "meaning" with life being a "means" in itself.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

"Eodnhoj7 wrote:

And what is "useful" if "usefullness" is defined by determining whether or not something is a means to something else? Usefullness sets the foundation for "meaning" with life being a "means" in itself."

Quite brilliant. The way you've employed "useful", "usefulness", "meaning" and "means" is decidely vertiginous. Useful (adj), having utility, Usefulness (n), the quality of being useful, Meaning (n), understanding, Meaning (v), explaining, Means (n), way, method, Means (v), defines as.

So, the author's conclusions are not a means to anything other than the meaning to which they are a means. How's that for usefulness?
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

commonsense wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:23 pm "Eodnhoj7 wrote:

And what is "useful" if "usefullness" is defined by determining whether or not something is a means to something else? Usefullness sets the foundation for "meaning" with life being a "means" in itself."

Quite brilliant. The way you've employed "useful", "usefulness", "meaning" and "means" is decidely vertiginous. Useful (adj), having utility, Usefulness (n), the quality of being useful, Meaning (n), understanding, Meaning (v), explaining, Means (n), way, method, Means (v), defines as.

So, the author's conclusions are not a means to anything other than the meaning to which they are a means. How's that for usefulness?
Actually quite meaningful as it implies through form and function that meaning is inherent and necessitates a form of not just personal accountability for one's actions but effectively those around them and vice versa; hence proxies the golden rule.

The message itself is simply a medial point of reflection, centering the actions of the observer thus resulting in further actions stemming from it.

In simpler terms, it forms perspective which in turn forms reality thus causing a chain effect.