Mankind its Downfall

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11919
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Arising_uk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 am

Except that Socrates would have no truck with what you are doing Nick_A. As you are setting-up a strawman, viz 'secular progressives', as a foil to promote the teaching of your personal religious metaphysic. Are you anti-American as you appear to wish to do away with the American constipation or bill of rights or whatever it is you call it in that you wish to abandon your first amendment?

Dubious
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Dubious » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 am

Nick_A wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30 am

There is nothing to argue.
Finally one point on which we agree.

Socrates was an examiner, one open to discussion ready to concede some good points made by others. He was open, ready to debate and not detour from questions which deserve examination. You are the total opposite of all your intellectual heroes and act as if you have all the answers programmed into you yet always proclaiming you know nothing while dispensing with any views which confront your own.

Often being stumped with a good argument you default to That's why Socrates had to die or that's why Jesus had to be crucified none of which having the slightest reference to what was actually said or meant but obviously done on purpose to avoid a possible inconvenient truth you didn't expect. Do you have any idea how cheap and contemptible this sounds? Sanctimonious hypocrites are in no position to discuss any subject pertaining to wisdom or knowledge. They have only one goal which is to negate all others by any means no matter how stupid, obvious and nonsensical.

Oh yes!! Lest I forget and before you beat me to it....and its for this reason Socrates had to die! :lol:

It reminds me of Cato the Elder and his closing refrain to every speech regardless of subject, "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam".

Nick_A
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Nick_A » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:38 am

Arising_uk wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 am
Except that Socrates would have no truck with what you are doing Nick_A. As you are setting-up a strawman, viz 'secular progressives', as a foil to promote the teaching of your personal religious metaphysic. Are you anti-American as you appear to wish to do away with the American constipation or bill of rights or whatever it is you call it in that you wish to abandon your first amendment?
Yes I would like to do away with American constipation since so many secular progressives are full of it. Constipation may be a primary reason why progressives are so grouchy. If we can find a cure, secular progressives may begin to see the light.

Nick_A
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Nick_A » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:49 am

Dubious
As mentioned a number of times, your ingrained views of what constitutes wisdom, insight, enlightenment is more akin to mental claustrophobia, to a solitary confinement of spirit than to any open spaces constituting a balanced version of human experience.
What IYO is a "balanced version of human experience?" If you deny mine, it means you believe yours is more realistic. What is it?

Atla
Posts: 2364
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Atla » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:06 am

mystical_universe wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:00 am
Stubbornness, (The doom attribute)

You first have to accept life,
before life can start accepting you,

perseverance supports ego, it diminishes the value of having opinions,

Giving in, dissolves conflict and it aid's the establishment of a neutral zone,

a neutral opinion is the only worthy and valuable one there is,

look at nature, and than look at yourself,

Nature is the very definition of Neutrality,

the events set in motion are purely random and without reason,

it only flows in a logical order and consists of a rational code,

we humans are products of nature,

so if we want to function properly as lifeforms in this cosmological phenomenon, we just need to start adapting ourselves to it

operate Neutral, think logical, and make decisions based on rational,

the first steps of beginning to understand nature and your place in it,
No shit. The problem you missed is with the "we just need to" part. Humans on average aren't intelligent, empathetic, logical, rational enough for enough improvement. Either we create humans who are, or we will go extinct.

User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 11919
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Arising_uk » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Nick_A wrote: Yes I would like to do away with American constipation since so many secular progressives are full of it. Constipation may be a primary reason why progressives are so grouchy. If we can find a cure, secular progressives may begin to see the light.
So just to be clear, you wish to do away with your first amendment so that you can teach your personal metaphysic in schools?

Will you be allowing others to teach their personal metaphysics too?

Nick_A
Posts: 4160
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Mankind its Downfall

Post by Nick_A » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Arising_uk wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 pm
Nick_A wrote: Yes I would like to do away with American constipation since so many secular progressives are full of it. Constipation may be a primary reason why progressives are so grouchy. If we can find a cure, secular progressives may begin to see the light.
So just to be clear, you wish to do away with your first amendment so that you can teach your personal metaphysic in schools?

Will you be allowing others to teach their personal metaphysics too?
It would go a long way if secular progressive education appreciated the value of conscious attention. A picture is worth a thousand words. I know it won't happen but it is encouraging to read how one student felt free to write on it for his thesis.

https://philpapers.org/rec/YODSWO

But since these modern institutions of child abuse even deny a moment of silence at the beginning of a school day, introducing conscious attention is too insulting for the majority so its value remains only for a minority.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Richardmc and 10 guests