What is Belief?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: What is Belief?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Age wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 am To you, YOUR "argument" is absolutely sound and valid, with the conclusion being the one and only ABSOLUTE Truth, am I also RIGHT?
That is your belief [a guess] for you cannot know exactly what is in my mind till I respond, otherwise what else is that statement.
With my response you can then confirm whether your belief is true or not. Even with my response, you have to have belief re my response for I could be lying. Thus at most you can say, "I believe based on your written response, you don't believe in any Absolute Truth."

I don't believe in any ABSOLUTE Truth.

What I believe and had claimed 'All humans has beliefs' is an empirical Justified True Belief.

I have already explained how the believing processes is embedded within the human brain via evolution.

Here is one clue;
Religious belief may seem to be a unique psychological experience, but a growing body of research shows that thinking about religion is no different from thinking about secular things­—at least from the standpoint of the brain. In the first imaging study to compare religious and nonreligious thoughts, evaluating the truth of either type of statement was found to involve the same regions of the brain.

They found that when a subject believed a statement—whether it was religious or not—activity appeared in an area called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, which is an area associated with emotions, rewards and self-representation.

The finding adds to the mounting evidence against the notion, popular in the scientific community as well as among the general public, that religious faith is somehow different from other types of belief, explains co-author Sam Harris, also of U.C.L.A.
In contrast to this assumption, he says, “Believing the sun is a star is rather the same as believing Jesus was born of a virgin.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... the-brain/
Btw, if you are not believing the Sun is a star, then you are an ignorant dude or being delusional and existing in la la land.

As I have insisted,
all humans - being human - has beliefs inherently and intrinsically, the critical difference is whether they are justified true beliefs or unjustified irrational beliefs.

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 am
Age wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 am To you, YOUR "argument" is absolutely sound and valid, with the conclusion being the one and only ABSOLUTE Truth, am I also RIGHT?
That is your belief [a guess]
IT IS AN OPEN CLARIFYING QUESTION. The question mark at the end is a hint to this FACT. It is also NOTHING else but a Truly open question asked for clarification.

It is YOUR BELIEF that is a BELIEF.

By the way, you once again NEVER answered the actual clarifying question.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 am for you cannot know exactly what is in my mind till I respond, otherwise what else is that statement.
LOL You really make me laugh, veritas. The VERY point of asking a clarifying question, and then WAITING for a response, is so that I will then KNOW.

Unlike you I do things the completely other way around. Where you make ASSUMPTIONS and BELIEVE that YOUR ASSUMPTIONS are True, I on the other hand, ask a clarifying question and then WAIT for a response BEFORE I even begin to ASSUME some thing.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 amWith my response you can then confirm whether your belief is true or not.
REALLY?

I would have NEVER of worked that out all by myself.

Why do you think I have been asking CLARIFYING QUESTIONS, and then WAITING for responses, since I joined this forum?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 am Even with my response, you have to have belief re my response for I could be lying.
You will NOT leave this, supposed, NECESSARY 'HAVE TO' BELIEVE BELIEF that you have, alone, will you?

Even with whatever response you give I will neither believe nor disbelieve any thing. I will STILL REMAIN OPEN. It is that SIMPLE.

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 am Thus at most you can say, "I believe based on your written response, you don't believe in any Absolute Truth."
I CAN say a LOT MORE than THAT.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 amI don't believe in any ABSOLUTE Truth.
Great to hear.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 amWhat I believe and had claimed 'All humans has beliefs' is an empirical Justified True Belief.
I KNOW, you have said this a FEW times already.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 amI have already explained how the believing processes is embedded within the human brain via evolution.
Do you REALLY BELIEVE that you, veritas, would KNOW this?

WHERE did you get this information/knowledge from?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 amImage

Here is one clue;
Religious belief may seem to be a unique psychological experience, but a growing body of research shows that thinking about religion is no different from thinking about secular things­—at least from the standpoint of the brain. In the first imaging study to compare religious and nonreligious thoughts, evaluating the truth of either type of statement was found to involve the same regions of the brain.

They found that when a subject believed a statement—whether it was religious or not—activity appeared in an area called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, which is an area associated with emotions, rewards and self-representation.

The finding adds to the mounting evidence against the notion, popular in the scientific community as well as among the general public, that religious faith is somehow different from other types of belief, explains co-author Sam Harris, also of U.C.L.A.
In contrast to this assumption, he says, “Believing the sun is a star is rather the same as believing Jesus was born of a virgin.”

Btw, if you are not believing the Sun is a star, then you are an ignorant dude or being delusional and existing in la la land.

As I have insisted,
all humans - being human - has beliefs inherently and intrinsically, the critical difference is whether they are justified true beliefs or unjustified irrational beliefs.
What is the percentage rate of ALL of YOUR BELIEFS, veritas, in Justified True Beliefs, AND, unjustified irrational beliefs?

How does YOUR percentage rate compare to other human beings?
Veritas Aequitas

Age wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 amI have already explained how the believing processes is embedded within the human brain via evolution.

I know because I have done very extensive research on this.
I suggest you raise this as a "Problem Statement" for yourself and do the necessary research and thesis to prove or disprove it.

Here is one clue;

As I have insisted,
What is the percentage rate of ALL of YOUR BELIEFS, veritas, in Justified True Beliefs, AND, unjustified irrational beliefs?

Does % matters?
The critical point in this context is I [as with all humans] have a faculty of believing and has beliefs inherited from the evolution of human being.

Note beliefs come within a continuum from unjustified irrational beliefs [1/100] to Justified True Beliefs. [99/100]
I don't have any 1-10% types of unjustified irrational beliefs, e.g. God, soul, ghosts, etc.
I can confidently estimate 80% of my beliefs would cover the range of 40-80% types of beliefs.

Post by Age »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 am
Age wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:18 am

I know because I have done very extensive research on this.
I suggest you raise this as a "Problem Statement" for yourself and do the necessary research and thesis to prove or disprove it.

Here is one clue;

As I have insisted,

Does % matters?
It appears so, to you, especially considering YOUR last two sentences just in this reply. Not to mention, as well as all the other times you use percentages, (and use them as though they come from some Real actual research).
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 amThe critical point in this context is I [as with all humans] have a faculty of believing and has beliefs inherited from the evolution of human being.
Saying, 'beliefs are inherited from the evolution of human beings' I SEE does NOT stand up to well, by itself, with other things that you say.

Besides that; if I, or humans, 'has' (which by the way is the WRONG word to use) BELIEFS, then what are those BELIEFS, that ALL humans, supposedly, 'have', at birth?

And, do you really BELIEVE that you are Truly able to speak for ALL human beings, especially in regards to such personal things as 'beliefs', themselves?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 amIf ALL humans has (have) BELIEFS, then WHAT were those BELIEFS when humans first evolved from whatever they evolved from? You did after all say ALL humans has BELIEFS.
And, at what stage in evolution did BELIEFS actually begin?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 amNote beliefs come within a continuum from unjustified irrational beliefs [1/100] to Justified True Beliefs. [99/100]
Okay I will NOTE that this is what you said.

Now, WHERE does the BELIEF 'God is an impossibility' lie on that continuum?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 amI don't have any 1-10% types of unjustified irrational beliefs, e.g. God, soul, ghosts, etc.
I can confidently estimate 80% of my beliefs would cover the range of 40-80% types of beliefs.
Veritas Aequitas

Age wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:29 am
Saying, 'beliefs are inherited from the evolution of human beings' I SEE does NOT stand up to well, by itself, with other things that you say.

Besides that; if I, or humans, 'has' (which by the way is the WRONG word to use) BELIEFS, then what are those BELIEFS, that ALL humans, supposedly, 'have', at birth?

And, do you really BELIEVE that you are Truly able to speak for ALL human beings, especially in regards to such personal things as 'beliefs', themselves?
Note I stated [DNA wise] the faculty of believing is inherited from the evolution of human beings. As such all human beings will believe and has beliefs. This is represented by the core neurons and relevant neural connectivity.

Humans do not have conscious beliefs at birth. Conscious beliefs only appear later at a certain age after birth.
Since babies inherited the faculty of believing and its potential, babies has a sort of instinctual innate semi-conscious cognitive beliefs. When a baby suckle, obviously the baby 'believe' the milk is life sustaining and not a poison. In addition, the baby will not be relying on justified true beliefs and facts.

Note,
The above is based on beliefs.

Note this on babies having innate beliefs;

Newborn babies may be more developed than we think
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... evelopment
Using neuroimaging, for example, researchers from Birkbeck and the University of Padua have found that day-old babies can tell the difference between social interactions and non-social actions, such as an arm throwing a ball.