Books are meaningless

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: Books are meaningless

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 pm It's true, books are meaningless unless they're read. Without readers books are just paper whose pages you can use to wrap fish in or in case you run out of toilet paper.
I said this before; if there is no awareness to read a book and gain knowledge from it., does it contain knowledge at all, independently? No. It has no intrinsic value without a mind to give it such.
henry quirk

Books are an enduring communication device...

Post by henry quirk »

...and a stable repository of 'information'.

Worryin' about whether 'book' has intrinsic meaning or value misses the point by about a mile on a cool and crisp Tuesday morning.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:00 pm It's true, books are meaningless unless they're read. Without readers books are just paper whose pages you can use to wrap fish in or in case you run out of toilet paper.
Or wrap fish AFTER you run out of toilet paper, if you are so inclined. Ewwwww lol!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 am
Or wrap fish AFTER you run out of toilet paper, if you are so inclined. Ewwwww lol!
Which comes first is a matter of choice. Combining two negatives may yield a positive which can be sold in $150 bottle of Channel #5!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:58 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 am
Which comes first is a matter of choice. Combining two negatives may yield a positive which can be sold in $150 bottle of Channel #5!
Eau de fish bunghole. My favourite.

Actually, that's a good reason for not keeping an aquarium. It's no different from changing toilet water, because that's exactly what it is.

Coincidentally, that's what alcohol is; yeast waste.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 am Actually, that's a good reason for not keeping an aquarium. It's no different from changing toilet water, because that's exactly what it is.
Actually in those terms, the whole planet is one huge recycling depot.
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:28 am Coincidentally, that's what alcohol is; yeast waste.
That would explain what laid waste to my brain for the last 20 years!
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Books which aren't read... still have meaning to the writer. Also, the mere existence of books can have meaning to some, like "I'm not much of a book reader" or "I haven't studied the subject" in reference to not reading any books on the subject. And for an individual who has not read the book but where the book has been read by someone else we can also say, this may become meaningful in the conversations and relationship of the two people.

I may be relieved to think that books that record history exist because that's important to me - without ever reading a book and etc.

I see your point OP and I realise I didn't contribute to this thread in any meaningful way but I was bored.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Judaka wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:08 am
I see your point OP and I realise I didn't contribute to this thread in any meaningful way but I was bored.
No worries, Judaka. In fact, your post was meaingful; I read it.
Charm

Post by Charm »

-1- wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:48 am Books are meaningless. Books only gain meaning if some one reads them. ETC ETC
All things find meaning in the light of life.. How essential some thing is says how valuable it will be.. I have found books to have great meaning, and they gave me more than I ever put into them.. Look at how many lives have been given to books.. Would this happen if books had no value??? Money demeans us, and yet we give it meaning.. Money makes me worthless, and I give value to money.. What good can come out of this relationship?? Books are as meaningful as they support my life.. In them is a dire warning. and a path to survival, a way to rebuild after the apocalypse.. In them is a charm for love, a philter, an invocation to the goddess within.. In side is the weaponized mind, a mirror reflecting the soul ... Inside of me they have become the knowledge of life, and I am master of all I survey...