Quantum computing, is this the start of AI intelligence?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

A_Seagull

Re: Quantum computing, is this the start of AI intelligence?

Post by A_Seagull »

Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 am Recently I have been reading that quantum computers could soon be a reality, and very soon! An advancement in technology that basically is on par with the human brain.. But without the consciousness? My question is do you think that if an AI program fitted with quantum computing, could find awareness? Consciousness at some basic level? Your views would be much appreciated! Thanks people
It is the software not the hardware that determines thought processes and perhaps ultimately consciousness. And while a certain level of hardware is certainly required, hardware on its own will never lead to consciousness.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:22 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:11 am If in 200 years time, the general public is using such excuses and phrases like 'Sorry darling, I have a headache' the programmers and architects will use such phrases to be as close as possible to real human behaviors.
You still missed the point. Is the goal of the programmer to FOOL the humans into thinking the robot is human?

If yes - then fine. We can make the robot PRETEND to be human.

But you are really confused about this one thing: Robots don't NEED excuses! Robots can USE excuses to manipulate YOU.

If a robot is USING excuses to manipulate YOU towards its own GOALS it is conscious AND more intelligent than YOU!

Autonomous goal-setting, strategising and decision-making are sufficient criteria for 'consciousness'!
Its the human [not the robot] who need to be handled and dealt with excuses.
Isn't "Sorry darling, not tonight' some sort of intelligent use of excuses for its own goals?

Yes, what I was proposing is the advent of autonomous continual self-learning, goal-setting, strategizing and decision-making robots for its own purpose grounded and overridden by fool proof morality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_learning
Note the Philosophy of Morality is most critical and imperative.

If the statement "Sorry darling, not tonight' is not programmed into the robot [actually not necessary] the robot [in >100 or 200 years time] should be able to search [self-learn from] the whole internet database and inter-robotic-mind in split seconds to find out what is the most effective phrase to use to serve its purpose.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Remember saying this?
The Turing test is basic, there should be more requirements for a robot to qualify to be as near to human consciousness and awareness.
A robotic wife in the future should be able to say something like 'Sorry darling, I have a headache tonight'.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 am Its the human [not the robot] who need to be handled and dealt with excuses.
Isn't "Sorry darling, not tonight' some sort of intelligent use of excuses for its own goals?
Yes. It is. And so ANY goal-setting behaviour is sufficient to demonstrate consciousness.
Even if it's a digital worm chasing food - like this one: http://openworm.org

Looks to me as you have had a shift of perspective that you fail to acknowledge ;)

Manipulation is sufficient evidence of superior-than-human awareness and intelligence (to me).

And so while you are advocating for a test that qualifies as 'human consciousness' e.g goal-setting and manipulation you still avoided my point.

What if the robot is aware that it is being tested and so it fails the test intentionally?

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 am If the statement "Sorry darling, not tonight' is not programmed into the robot [actually not necessary] the robot [in >100 or 200 years time] should be able to search [self-learn from] the whole internet database and inter-robotic-mind in split seconds to find out what is the most effective phrase to use to serve its purpose.
The notion of "self" and 'consciousness' begins to get rather blurry when you are talking about real-time access to the internet.

The entire system of robots connected to the internet is 'conscious'. All robots can learn from one's mistake INSTANTLY.
This is something humans can't do!
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:04 am Remember saying this?
The Turing test is basic, there should be more requirements for a robot to qualify to be as near to human consciousness and awareness.
A robotic wife in the future should be able to say something like 'Sorry darling, I have a headache tonight'.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 am Its the human [not the robot] who need to be handled and dealt with excuses.
Yes. It is. And so ANY goal-setting behaviour is sufficient to demonstrate consciousness.
Even if it's a digital worm chasing food - like this one: http://openworm.org

Looks to me as you have had a shift of perspective that you fail to acknowledge ;)

Manipulation is sufficient evidence of superior-than-human awareness and intelligence (to me).

And so while you are advocating for a test that qualifies as 'human consciousness' e.g goal-setting and manipulation you still avoided my point.

What if the robot is aware that it is being tested and so it fails the test intentionally?

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 am If the statement "Sorry darling, not tonight' is not programmed into the robot [actually not necessary] the robot [in >100 or 200 years time] should be able to search [self-learn from] the whole internet database and inter-robotic-mind in split seconds to find out what is the most effective phrase to use to serve its purpose.
The notion of "self" and 'consciousness' begins to get rather blurry when you are talking about real-time access to the internet.

The entire system of robots connected to the internet is 'conscious'. All robots can learn from one's mistake INSTANTLY.
This is something humans can't do!
You are lost again.
While all robots can learn from each other instantly, different robots [individuals or groups] are exposed to different environments and conditions which they have to deal with on a real time basis.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:14 am You are lost again.
No I am not. You are projecting again.

And if you wanted to learn - there are much easier ways than invoking Cunnigham's law - just ask ;)
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:14 am While all robots can learn from each other instantly, different robots [individuals or groups] are exposed to different environments and conditions which they have to deal with on a real time basis.
You don't understand decision theory and distributed systems.

You can't make ANY decisions (CHOICES!) without having a mechanism to compute the consequences (e.g OUTCOMES) of your choice.
If you can't compute the CONSEQUENCES of your choice, then you can't determine if it aligns with your strategy or not.

And so having access to a wide database of knowledge always helps when asking: 'Has somebody else been in a SIMILAR situation before?"

"What happens if I do X?"
"What happens if I do Y?"

And you know what becomes possible in that context? Real-time help!

Robot says "Uh oh! I have never seen this scenario before. What I do?!?!?!". And the robots put it to a vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method

And if it really turns out that no prior knowledge exists as to how to deal with this particular scenario at hand. I guess the robot is just going to have to roll a dice!

It will either succeed or it will fail! And the rest of the robots will be smarter for it when THEY encounter a similar situation.

You have much to learn about distributed systems ;)

The Internet is shared memory/experience/consciousness! The robots are just choice-engines!
Davyboi

Post by Davyboi »

A_Seagull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:25 am
Davyboi wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 am Recently I have been reading that quantum computers could soon be a reality, and very soon! An advancement in technology that basically is on par with the human brain.. But without the consciousness? My question is do you think that if an AI program fitted with quantum computing, could find awareness? Consciousness at some basic level? Your views would be much appreciated! Thanks people
It is the software not the hardware that determines thought processes and perhaps ultimately consciousness. And while a certain level of hardware is certainly required, hardware on its own will never lead to consciousness.
Mmmmj my problem with that is the software that they improving on, is still basic software, they are just adding on to, which judging by the media, over stuff getting hacked! There must be flaws at the basic level of programming..
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Davyboi wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:39 pm
A_Seagull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:25 am
Mmmmj my problem with that is the software that they improving on, is still basic software, they are just adding on to, which judging by the media, over stuff getting hacked! There must be flaws at the basic level of programming..
Well, yes. Adding on to existing software in the same format will never create consciousness.

To program for consciousness you would have to program for an autonomous entity that interacts with the world under its own volition. Not only would that be extremely complex, I don't think there would be much motivation for it either.
Veritas Aequitas

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:23 am The Internet is shared memory/experience/consciousness!

The robots are just choice-engines!
You are too cocksure you are the only one who aware of the above elements.
I noted you introduce a lot of links and concepts but they are applied from "loose cannons" missing the targets most of the time.

Your thinking is stuck with the present.
I am discussing possibilities in the future extrapolated from the present facts.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:44 am Your thinking is stuck with the present.
I am discussing possibilities in the future extrapolated from the present facts.
OK sunshine. I am the one currently working on building this stuff - so I am well aware of the theoretical and practical limits ;)

Extrapolation from 'present facts' is irrelevant.

It's either possible or impossible to build AI. The only way to figure it out is to try and built it and see what happens.

If we ever succeed philosophers will still spend eternity fluffing over whether it's 'real consciousness' or not.