WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ferdi

Re: WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

Post by Ferdi »

Re: -1- of Mar13@2:01AM
Why do you ignore that we, as distinct from animals, know that sex is for procreation, and that we have a free will to do or not to do. Are you just here to amuse yourself?
Walker

Post by Walker »

-1- wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 am Listen to Belinda. She's on your side. (!) She supports you by saying that it is the purpose of a rock to fall to the bottom of a deep well, when let go unsupported at the top level of the well. She's saying in a reverse-psychological and ironic / sarcastic way, that stones have purpose despite having no nervous system.
I thought she said that the actions of a tree are choiceless and follow a design likely unknown to the tree … ditto for the the antelope, bacteria, and many humans.

:D
-1-

Post by -1- »

Ferdi wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 am Re: -1- of Mar13@2:01AM
Why do you ignore that we, as distinct from animals, know that sex is for procreation, and that we have a free will to do or not to do. Are you just here to amuse yourself?
I actually whack off when reading the posts. Funnn!!!
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:23 am
-1- wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:01 am Listen to Belinda. She's on your side. (!) She supports you by saying that it is the purpose of a rock to fall to the bottom of a deep well, when let go unsupported at the top level of the well. She's saying in a reverse-psychological and ironic / sarcastic way, that stones have purpose despite having no nervous system.
I thought she said that the actions of a tree are choiceless and follow a design likely unknown to the tree … ditto for the the antelope, bacteria, and many humans.

:D
Horrible misquote, Walker. Belinda never mentioned a design being followed. That is your addition.

This is an important difference to notice. A ship or a building is designed. A tree or a human evolves. Purpose was achieved in the design; a specific goal had to be reached. In evolved things there is no script that they follow. Purpose of course does not exist. This has all been sarcasm.

I am not saying that you haven't noticed. I am saying that I had to put an end to the allegorical myth created by sarcasm, because it was encroaching more and more territory of your convictions, and you were -- I really have to admit -- smart enough to capitalize on that.

However, you put words in someone else's mouth which switched entire pages' worth of alleged bum-convictions (faux-convictions), by you, by me, and by others, and that is why I needed to throw light on that.
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 am Horrible misquote, Walker. Belinda never mentioned a design being followed. That is your addition.

This is an important difference to notice. A ship or a building is designed. A tree or a human evolves. Purpose was achieved in the design; a specific goal had to be reached. In evolved things there is no script that they follow. Purpose of course does not exist. This has all been sarcasm.
My engineering perspective on the matter: Only an idiot-engineer like myself can fuck this universe up so badly!

I see budget cuts, technical debt, duct tape and last-minute hacks EVERYWHERE.

If the universe evolved it may have been perfect. It takes a designer to fuck it up this badly.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Logik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 am
-1- wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 am Horrible misquote, Walker. Belinda never mentioned a design being followed. That is your addition.

My engineering perspective on the matter: Only an idiot-engineer like myself can fuck this universe up so badly!

If the universe wasn't designed it might have been perfect. But it is - that's why it's so fucked up!
Please don't speak badly of duct tape. It is a miracle solution to many engineering conundrums, much like antibiotics have been the miracle drugs since WWII.

Duct tape is versatile, effective, and basically, does the job. I even use it sometimes as underwear when I run out of clean ones.
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:56 am Please don't speak badly of duct tape. It is a miracle solution to many engineering conundrums, much like antibiotics have been the miracle drugs since WWII.

Duct tape is versatile, effective, and basically, does the job. I even use it sometimes as underwear when I run out of clean ones.
No, look. Duct tape is a necessary evil. But its mere existence is evidence for poor design choices!

If you built it RIGHT the first time, why do you need duct tape!?!?!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Purposing is the attribute of any event that involves a living thing. If there is no purposing the thing is not a living thing. As Walker said some things can be alive and purposive but be unaware of their purpose.
Unawareness of purpose includes any human being during some activities for instance during spinal reflexes before the brain-mind becomes aware, through an afferent nerve channel, that the reflex action has occurred. Only things that are a) purposive b) aware and c)can use semantic language can explain the purpose(s ) of their existence.

Existence itself may be explained only by religious persons.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

roydop wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:58 pm
...but apparently there is TRUE ENLIGHTENMENT!

Wot a joke.
My life is filled with peace, contentment, bliss. I have no stress, worries, and any negative emotions that arise last for only a few seconds.

My life has turned out this way because of my 2 decade long practice of Abiding in/as thought free Awareness .

Sit in a chair and don't do anything and don't think about anything for an hour. The difference between your experience of this and an Enlightened being's, is that you will experience restlessness, boredom, and anything but peace and contentment, whereas a Liberated being will experience no thoughts and pure bliss.

Actually do it. Best not look at this as a joke; this is showing you something very important.
concur, and well said.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:27 am
gaffo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:46 am maybe Nemoy was right when as a Pod person said "the function (meaning) of life is survival"............and sadly also sad "there is no need for love nor hate anymore"

maybe the alien was right about the meaning of life - survival, nothing more. and so when you die you are "off the books" and without meaning to the big (not so big IMO) picture. you are dead and so gone.
Sure, one only needs to watch a doco perhaps from Attenborough to see 'Gods' 'love' at work where animals are starving and killing each other for survival....but apparently there is TRUE ENLIGHTENMENT!

Wot a joke.
your understanding of animals as "killing each other for food" (and ignoring social instincts of the Pride - killing other animals for the good of the Pride (not just the individual lion) is limited.

"tooth a claw" to "others", not for "us" - animals (which man is also), have moral/social genes, otherwise the Pride would have died before it evolved to become real. Defend the tribe, contain - and kill if necessary (not out of fun, but survival) the "other" (Pride/Tribe) for food.

off topic, sort of - Judaism and Christianity today have forgotten their theological roots per the matter, book of Jubaless, and Jesus also refered to this idea (as the End Times will be a restoration of a sinless world were the Lion with eat straw and sit next to the lamb) - Jubaless's theology is that the "orignal sin" of Adam/Eve "infected" some of the animals and turned then to become carnivores.(such animals must kill other animals for food - "tooth and claw"). Prior to original sin, man and animals could talk to each other too - after the fall, man and animals kill each other for food.
they will be become sinless and return back to their original nature - along with man - when God returns at the End Times.

according to Jubaless. This was common Judaic and Christian theology 2000 yrs ago, somehow its been utterly forgotten today.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

-1- wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:56 am
Logik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 am

If the universe wasn't designed it might have been perfect. But it is - that's why it's so fucked up!
Please don't speak badly of duct tape. It is a miracle solution to many engineering conundrums, much like antibiotics have been the miracle drugs since WWII.

"duct tape binds the universe together"
-1-

Post by -1- »

Logik wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 am [
No, look. Duct tape is a necessary evil. But its mere existence is evidence for poor design choices!

If you built it RIGHT the first time, why do you need duct tape!?!?!
I dunno...??

Coz I built duct tape, and I want to hava use for it?
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 am I dunno...??

Solution in search of problems? Nice!
-1-

Post by -1- »

Logik wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am
-1- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:08 am I dunno...??

Solution in search of problems? Nice!
Maybe the intelligent designer was destined to make duct tape in an otherwise perfect world, and then the designer was stumped: here is a good invention, with no useful purpose. So the intelligent designer went on redesigning stuff, so that they WOULD need a duct tape for proper functioning.

This is clearer than the azure sky in the deepest summer.

You guys just did not think of this because you are somewhat less intelligent than the intelligent designer. He or she is intelligent. Very intelligent.

Verrrrry intelligent.
Logik

Post by Logik »

-1- wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:22 am Maybe the intelligent designer was destined to make duct tape in an otherwise perfect world, and then the designer was stumped: here is a good invention, with no useful purpose. So the intelligent designer went on redesigning stuff, so that they WOULD need a duct tape for proper functioning.

This is clearer than the azure sky in the deepest summer.

You guys just did not think of this because you are somewhat less intelligent than the intelligent designer. He or she is intelligent. Very intelligent.

Verrrrry intelligent.
*shrug* my fiance says I have a tendency for fixing things that aren't broken.

In fact (and if I am to use her language) I have a tendency for breaking things that are fixed.

Potato, potatoh. Either way - the parallels between idiot-engineer God and idiot-engineer Logik are astounding.