WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jayjacobus

Re: WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

Post by jayjacobus »

Belinda wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:46 am Dontaskme, very few know they are alive when they are alive, well, and dreaming. During dreaming most people lose sense of self.
Descartes? How does he know if you think or are only pretending to think? You might be an android for all he knows.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 am I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
You might want to unpack that question.
Here are a couple of legitimate answer, as it stands.

I am here because I left my laptop in this room, and it is charging at the moment so that is why I am here.
I am here because I survived cancer.
I am here because my father was horny one night in 1959
I am here because my Mum decided she did not like American and sailed with me and my brother to the UK in 1961
I am here because I moved here 13 years ago and am happy to live in this part of the world.

Unless you mean. Why is the human race here on planet earth, as if it has been placed FOR A REASON..

What makes you think there might be an answer to this question?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
I think that once irreversible death occurs all that follows is an eternal state of non consciousness
A non consciousness that is free from all suffering and therefore should not in any way be feared
Do you mean a non consciousness state as opposed to what is known as a conscious state ?

What if the non conscious state that is death is actually the same state as knowing one is alive ?
What if the sense of being alive is not actually real and that being alive is just the same as being dead ?

What in your opinion makes a human being KNOW to make a claim such as I am alive ...
and yet I wasnt alive before my birth and I will not be alive after my death ? What is making that claim ?

What if you dont mind me asking ... can say and know that knowledge of itself and is that knowledge real actual fact or fiction ?
I mean a non consciousness state because minds cannot survive death

There are fundamentally significant differences between being alive and being dead which makes them not remotely the same

The mind becomes self aware between conception and birth and stays self aware before death as it cannot function outside of these states

Some fundamental axioms have to be established if one wants to make rigorous claims about observable reality
And the most fundamental of all of these is that I actually exist as a biological organism with a functioning mind

Knowledge claims cannot be shown to be absolutely true due to the problem of induction but those that are consistently shown to be true can
be regarded as such - you have to treat reality as it appears regardless of whether or not it is real for it is everything you actually experience
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Re Sculptor’s of 4-7-2019 “What makes you think there might be an answer . . . . . . . . ?
IMO because we have a free will. We can choose between good and evil, with everything in-between. All our sports have “goal posts” and keep a score to reward with points and “status”; it is in us.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 am
I mean non consciousness state because minds cannot survive death
I tend to think the non-consciousness state is a constant eternal state that exists only NOW and is applicable to both the birth and death concept...and that non-consciousness eternal constant state then apparently becomes conscious of itself when it appears as birth aka the appearance of a ''mind''.. as opposed to the state of 'no-mind' aka death...basically, both concepts have to be present in the same moment else neither the concept of death or birth would be known to the mind. The mind must be present at all times, and that death is just the mind being in abeyance, not aware of anything yet..but has the potential to be aware of somehting... and so because the mind is capable of being aware of somethings means that it must exist in both states, in both death and birth...because it is only the mind that is aware of itself in birth...and can only know that concept in relation to the mind being in abeyance aka he non-consciousness state...here...there is nothing else aware of itself except the mind.

I'm saying that both birth and death are the same state albeit they just differ in appearance that's all...as a MIND one moment it's aware, the next moment it's un-aware..but that doesn't mean mind is dead or alive..it just means it's not known to itself yet...and to become known to itself the mind must have always existed, in the sense you first have to exist before there can be any knowledge of you existing...because you are the source of your own KNOWLEDGE..you are the source of your own imagination, the creator of your self as a fictional character, aka the un-born born..the non-conscious conscious one.

Notice that birth comes out of the death state...and the birth appearance from out of the death state eventually dissolves back into the death state again...so to me, this knowledge of both birth and death informs that both death and birth are just two differing appearances of the same stateless state..which is non-consciousness becoming conscious of it's conscious self and it's non-conscious self in the exact same instant...but this is just my own personal nondual thinking the way I vision it...I'm not saying it's absolute truth.
surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 amThere are fundamentally significant differences between being alive and being dead which makes them not remotely the same
The difference is in the knowing aspect...when dead there is no knowing, when alive there is knowing...but this knowing is born of the not-knowing...and so the not-knowing when it is born then becomes the known to the not-knowing...as in the not-knowing known and that is why the mystics call reality a dreamscape reality..a conscious fictional overlay upon a blank screen of non-consciousness becoming conscious.
surreptitious57 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:35 amThe mind becomes self aware between conception and birth and stays self aware before death as it cannot function outside of these states
And this self awareness of the mind if you examine it closely is a fictional overlay...in reality no fictional thing is aware...awareness is a blank slate, it is neither dead nor alive..concepts such as birth and death are just fictional conceptual appearances source unknown appearing upon the blank screen of awareness.

I just can't seem to move away from the sense that no thing has ever been born or can die, neither has any thing ever been seen. For all things are just imagined fictional characters that do not exist in the way thought thinks they do.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
I just cant seem to move away from the sense that no thing has ever been born or can die neither has any thing ever been seen
For all things are just imagined fictional characters that do not exist in the way thought thinks they do
I dont know if this is true or not because I only have experience of my own existence
If everything is from nothing then I can only accept that as a concept because I can never demonstrate it as a truth
My mind cannot accept something non falsifiable as being true when it could in all probability just as easily be false