WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

Post by Dubious »

Logik wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:49 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:48 am In short, pure happenstance. It must be demoralizing for humans not to be more important than any other random event.
Given the odds it's actually quite exhilarating!

If the idea of winning the lottery excites you, then winning the Universe's existential lottery is incalculably better!
That depends on what is won in that existential lottery. For billions not winning would have been a better outcome.
Logik

Post by Logik »

Dubious wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 pm That depends on what is won in that existential lottery. For billions not winning would have been a better outcome.
You won life and living.

The alternative option has never been taken away from anybody.

Just like poverty is never removed as an option from a lottery winner. If you want to be poor - choose it - do it.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Logik wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:12 pm
Dubious wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:58 pm That depends on what is won in that existential lottery. For billions not winning would have been a better outcome.
You won life and living.

The alternative option has never been taken away from anybody.

Just like poverty is never removed as an option from a lottery winner. If you want to be poor - choose it - do it.
Choosing seldom results in what's chosen. If that were true everyone would be happy!
Logik

Post by Logik »

Dubious wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 pm Choosing seldom results in what's chosen. If that were true everyone would be happy!
In context of me equating life/living with winning the universe's lottery you said "For billions not winning would have been a better outcome.".

Which I took to mean "not being born would have been a better outcome"
e.g Not living would've been a better outcome than living.

In that context - I am pointing out that the option was never taken away from you. Death is coming one way or another.

How soon? You decide.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

My opinion: we are here because like all earthly creatures, our parents followed their natural urge to breed. I have been on planet earth for 91 years, lived among so-called civilised societies on 2 sides of the globe, have observed and experienced that mankind behaves basically the same. The Rule-of-the-Jungle prevails whatever colour, size, sex or health. One can see in one’s own environment: bullying in schools, sport, entertainment, the business world, the share-market, Dictatorships, etc. The younger generation is being led to admire Sport heroes. IMO sport is not sport when one gets paid for it. Money rules the world. Laws are meant to create some order but, being phrased by the legal fraternity, laws are open to interpretation by lawyers. The Spirit of the Law is secondary. We exist because we instinctively and effortlessly started to breathe at birth, providing oxygen for our heart which had been beating almost since conception in our mother’s womb, driven and fed by the life of the mother. Initially our parents care for us and feed us gradually showing us how to fend for ourselves. We soon find that we have a choice to be “good or bad”. As we grow-up we start to question things, as our forefathers have. If we do not readily find the answer we make an intelligent guess; we learn from our mistakes. We are getting wiser, but we have as yet not managed to live in peace, to live and let live.
We question things in nature. Our forefathers invented Gods for the various forces of nature; the plethora of religious beliefs evolved. Our human intelligence has found explanations of many natural events. Science has progressed to such an extent that religious “beliefs” are dwindling but we as yet do not know where all life keeps coming from, and logically must be returning to on death. It is noteworthy that living creatures kill for food. We can kill, stop any life any time, we can even restart its life in some very fresh corpses, in organ transplants and re-attachment of fresh limbs but (as far as I’m aware) we have not as yet managed to bypass birth from a mother’s womb for the creation of a new individual’s life.
It is illogical to apply religious beliefs as facts and use it as excuses for bullying and killing. The fact that fanatics are allowed to use their free will to manipulate public opinions regardless of the truth, makes me believe that there must be a time of reckoning of each individual at its death. Death is not the objective but is nature’s way of settling one’s score. Previous generations invented a God for whatever was threatening, feel free to use a God if it makes you feel safe, but do NOT impose on others such belief as a fact.
BlackChristianMind

Post by BlackChristianMind »

We are here to make a choice. This world reveals what type of people we really are. God could've created automatons, but he made us in his image and with the ability to choose him or Satan. Demons know God exists (James 2:19). So it's not only acknowledging his existence, but through your actions showing who you are loyal to. "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." - James 2:18 "That God could create beings free over against himself is the cross which philosophy could not bear but upon which it has remained hanging." - Kierkegaard
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 am I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
We are here as God (Consciousness) experiencing itself as a limited human being. This goes on eternally for infinity. You are God. God is not "out there somewhere" it's You..and Me..and everyone in the infinite universe. God has to divide itself into many to discover what it is.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Ramu wrote:
We are here as God (Consciousness) experiencing itself as a limited human being. This goes on eternally for infinity. You are God. God is not "out there somewhere" it's You..and Me..and everyone in the infinite universe. God has to divide itself into many to discover what it is.
But consciousness is recently present in the cosmos and God also includes inanimate things and entities which live unconsciously most of which predated humans and will exist after humans have vanished from the cosmos.
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Belinda wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:46 pm Ramu wrote:
But consciousness is recently present in the cosmos and God also includes inanimate things and entities which live unconsciously most of which predated humans and will exist after humans have vanished from the cosmos.
But humans vanishing from the cosmos is just concept and imagination. The only thing actual is the here and now (reality). Of course when I say God (Consciousness, or Source) I'm not taking a theists viewpoint. I'm talking about non-duality of which dualism is a part of
Walker

Post by Walker »

Because nothing cannot be, we are the unmoving balance point between increasing complexity and increasing entropy that is the center of all that can be, since being is a function of consciousness*, which is larger in size than the scope of any denial.

* different states of consciousness result in different states of being.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Ramu wrote:
But humans vanishing from the cosmos is just concept and imagination. The only thing actual is the here and now (reality). Of course when I say God (Consciousness, or Source) I'm not taking a theists viewpoint. I'm talking about non-duality of which dualism is a part of
Make up your mind to take the view from eternity, or the view from space/time
From the point of view of eternity there is non-duality. From the point of view of space/ time there are the myriad creatures.
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

Walker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Because nothing cannot be, we are the unmoving balance point between increasing complexity and increasing entropy that is the center of all that can be, since being is a function of consciousness*, which is larger in size than the scope of any denial.

I'm not talking about different states of consciousness equating different states of being. I'm talking about the ABSOLUTE. Being=Consciousness=Source=God=True Self. There is only ONE and you're IT. The ONE wants to know ITSELF but can only do that by manifesting as a limited human. Then by fooling itself into thinking it's this human...can God truly know itself..by witnessing itself (the Universe) from billions of different vantage points. You ARE God..you just forgot.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Ramu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 pm
Davyboi wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:50 am I know this is a basic question! But why our we here, most people go through there lives not questioning the reason why? People like us have ideas, views an urge to understand what this is all about? Do you think we are ever going to find the answer?
First of all, do you actually believe that Consciousness...

(something that has probably been in existence literally FOREVER – trillions and trillions of years prior to the creation of our particular universe)

...still hasn’t yet been able to figure out (discover) what it really is?

Secondly, how did you come to the conclusion that our particular universe is “infinite”?

And lastly, please offer a logical explanation of how “...YOU..and Me..and everyone in the infinite universe...” grabbed hold of the fabric of reality and shaped it into a hundred billion galaxies of suns and planets?
_______
Ramu

Post by Ramu »

seeds wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:02 am
Ramu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:35 pm
First of all, do you actually believe that Consciousness...

(something that has probably been in existence literally FOREVER – trillions and trillions of years prior to the creation of our particular universe)

...still hasn’t yet been able to figure out (discover) what it really is?

Secondly, how did you come to the conclusion that our particular universe is “infinite”?

And lastly, please offer a logical explanation of how “...YOU..and Me..and everyone in the infinite universe...” grabbed hold of the fabric of reality and shaped it into a hundred billion galaxies of suns and planets?
_______
It transcends proofs and logic because the Absosolute IS Truth. God IS..IT is Being...and lastly you're approaching this from a rationalist, materialist paradigm. I'm approaching it from a non dualistic paradigm. I'm not religious whatsoever, and it's interesting how science attempts to distance itself from religion as being more "True"...yet science is just as dogmatic and limited as theological religion.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Ramu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:06 pm
Walker wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm not talking about different states of consciousness equating different states of being. I'm talking about the ABSOLUTE. Being=Consciousness=Source=God=True Self. There is only ONE and you're IT. The ONE wants to know ITSELF but can only do that by manifesting as a limited human. Then by fooling itself into thinking it's this human...can God truly know itself..by witnessing itself (the Universe) from billions of different vantage points. You ARE God..you just forgot.
“The ONE wants to know ITSELF but can only do that by manifesting as a limited human.”

One has no differention, thus one has no limitations. A human birth is advantageous for its superior capacity to transcend incarnated, conditioned, and self-imposed limitations, superior gauged in relationship to other life forms’ lesser capacities to transcend their particular limitations of birth.

This advantageous capacity of humans can be compromised by the limitations of birth defect, trauma, or delusion.

A human has the capacity to transcend delusion that obscures primordial, i.e., pre-conditioned, apprehension of the moment. Due to the human capacity to access consciousness via the portal shaped by incarnation and blemished perceptions (blemishes caused by delusion's effects upon perception), apprehension of the moment includes apprehending implications for the future, implications which can only exist in the present.

What senses perceive is infinite potentiality manifesting as form, according to conditions perceivable within the range of those senses.