WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

TimeSeeker

Re: WHY DO YOU THINK WE ARE HERE? WHY DO WE EXIST?

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm This has NEVER been about challenging your views/beliefs. This is about me saying and showing how you write as though you are absolutely sure of things. What I am challenging is HOW do you KNOW, for sure, that what you are writing is absolutely true, right, and correct?
And I keep telling you. I don't have knowledge! Knowledge is IMPOSSIBLE.
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm If you do NOT know, for sure, that it is absolutely true, right, and correct, then just do not write it as though it is absolutely true, right, and correct. Then I will NOT challenge you.
OK, How do I write it otherwise? You are still stuck in a black-and-white mindset.

I am not claiming that it's absolutely true/right/correct. I am claiming that it's less wrong than whatever bullshit you are peddling!

https://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience ... fwrong.htm
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm How about YOU start backing up your claims, by answering my supposed "welcomed" questions.
I am backing up my claims. Follow the references.
Last edited by TimeSeeker on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Age »

Dubious wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 am
TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 am This sounds extremely farfetched! I've never heard of any biologist, paleontologist, anthropologist or evolutionist claim that intelligent life would once again assert itself if we go defunct. Frankly, it doesn't make sense because a new evolutionary period would have to commence. As you mention, it may not start with slime ponds and bacterial formations but its operation would still be so complex as not to follow it's previous course in creating intelligence. Evolution is subject to a lot of random events which influence the outcome that to presuppose the near certain appearance of intelligence a second time around is nearly impossible to fathom....which is not to say it absolutely can't happen, only that it has an extremely low probability of happening.
Translation: we are special!

Closet arrogance :)

If we go extinct- the planet wouldn't even notice. Evolution didn't create us on purpose. Evolution doesn't have a "purpose".
Absolutely, and I've written so many times. Not only does evolution not have a purpose except that of adaptation, we also have no purpose in the universe which depresses a lot of people. One would think that if the universe did have a purpose for us evolution would have progressed in a more straight forward manner. Purpose is usually preconceived and planned prior to it occurring.
There is a reason 'evolution' is progressing the way it is, which will be seen to be in the most naturally straight forward manner.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:30 pm There is a reason 'evolution' is progressing the way it is, which will be seen to be in the most naturally straight forward manner.
So Evolution is linear eh? Where is it heading towards?

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:30 pm
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm This has NEVER been about challenging your views/beliefs. This is about me saying and showing how you write as though you are absolutely sure of things. What I am challenging is HOW do you KNOW, for sure, that what you are writing is absolutely true, right, and correct?
And I keep telling you. I don't have knowledge! Knowledge is IMPOSSIBLE.
SO, stop writing as though you do have knowledge.

Writing things like "Evolution does not have a purpose" IS writing as though you HAVE knowledge.

Can you NOT see or understand this, yet?

By the way, how many others noticed that ONCE AGAIN, timeseeker is writing as though they KNOW, for sure, what the TRUTH actually IS.

Writing, "Knowledge is IMPOSSIBLE" infers that you KNOW, for sure, 100% that this IS true, right, and correct.

HOW do you KNOW, for sure, that 'knowledge is IMPOSSIBLE? WHAT exactly does 'knowledge' mean, to you? And, HOW can that be IMPOSSIBLE?

Once again, if you are going to write things as though they are absolutely true, right, and correct, then be prepared for MY clarifying questions.

To propose that one KNOWS what IS impossible is to infer that they KNOW, for sure what the absolute TRUTH IS.
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm If you do NOT know, for sure, that it is absolutely true, right, and correct, then just do not write it as though it is absolutely true, right, and correct. Then I will NOT challenge you.
OK, How do I write it otherwise?
FINALLY. An apparently inquisitively open question, of which you will notice I, unlike you, WILL answer. I will also, for your information, WAIT to see just how open you are BEFORE I will make any assumption.

"From my perspective it appears as though evolution does not have a purpose."
"From what I have seen and experienced evolution does not have a purpose."
"From my view there is nothing that shows me that evolution does have a purpose."
Et cetera.
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:28 pm How about YOU start backing up your claims, by answering my supposed "welcomed" questions.
I am backing up my claims. Follow the references.

You have NOT backed up your claims. You just wrote, "Follow the references", Where is just one reference that backs up your supposition that evolution does not have a purpose?

You have NOT yet answered ONE of my questions. If you had, then you would still be trying to pull your self back together.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm SO, stop writing as though you do have knowledge.

Writing things like "Evolution does not have a purpose" IS writing as though you HAVE knowledge.
I don't know how to do what you are asking me to do. Why don't you show me how?

Go ahead and rewrite that sentence in a way that somebody without knowledge might write it?
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm You have NOT backed up your claims. You just wrote, "Follow the references", Where is just one reference that backs up your supposition that evolution does not have a purpose?

You have NOT yet answered ONE of my questions. If you had, then you would still be trying to pull your self back together.
I don't have to backup a negative claim with evidence. It is the DEFAULT POSITION for somebody WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE.

To ascribe a positive property to Evolution (like purpose) requires evidence.

X exists.
X has property Y.

The Eiffel tower exists.
The Eiffel tower is 324 meters tall.

Evolution exists.
Evolution has purpose.

To claim Evolution has purpose is to make a new claim about Evolution. New claims about evolution require new evidence.

Provide new evidence. Or shut the fuck up.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:31 pm
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:30 pm There is a reason 'evolution' is progressing the way it is, which will be seen to be in the most naturally straight forward manner.
You can jump into this discussion between me and another person, and TRY and go off topic from what I am discussing with you, but I will, for now, NOT be lead into that.

I wrote this response here for this person to respond to, not for you to respond to it. I could have very easily gone down this path with you in my discussion with you if I had chosen to, but I chose not to.

Although, I also did intentionally write this, knowing what will happen, to show others how easily and quickly you can and will NOT stay looking at your own self and what you actually do here in this forum, and that you will quickly try to prove your self right, by asking ridiculously assumed questions in the hope of ridiculing by jumping onto preconceived assumed answers, but I will not continue on with this, with you here.

After you start answering MY questions to you, from the start of our conversation in this topic, only then I will proceed down this line of questioning from you.

By the way asking questions that you BELIEVE there is NO answer to could be seen as a very rather foolish thing to do.

Your desire to jump onto others and ridicule them, based on your own distorted BELIEFS, is not a very wise move to make. You may just end up making a fool of your own self, by your own self?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm
You can jump into this discussion between me and another person, and TRY and go off topic from what I am discussing with you, but I will, for now, NOT be lead into that.

I wrote this response here for this person to respond to, not for you to respond to it. I could have very easily gone down this path with you in my discussion with you if I had chosen to, but I chose not to.

Although, I also did intentionally write this, knowing what will happen, to show others how easily and quickly you can and will NOT stay looking at your own self and what you actually do here in this forum, and that you will quickly try to prove your self right, by asking ridiculously assumed questions in the hope of ridiculing by jumping onto preconceived assumed answers, but I will not continue on with this, with you here.

After you start answering MY questions to you, from the start of our conversation in this topic, only then I will proceed down this line of questioning from you.

By the way asking questions that you BELIEVE there is NO answer to could be seen as a very rather foolish thing to do.

Your desire to jump onto others and ridicule them, based on your own distorted BELIEFS, is not a very wise move to make. You may just end up making a fool of your own self, by your own self?
I am a fool. A fool without knowledge. Did you use that word as a pejorative? Shame.

I guess you still care about what other people think of you.

I am the "fool" you keep giving your money to for the foolish things I create and you use with all these stupid/false beliefs I hold :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a ... ery_minute

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:47 pm
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm SO, stop writing as though you do have knowledge.

I don't know how to do what you are asking me to do. Why don't you show me how?

Go ahead and rewrite that sentence in a way that somebody without knowledge might write it?
WHY do you even continually TRY THIS? That is write things like "Go ahead and rewrite that sentence in a way that somebody without knowledge might write it", especially AFTER I JUST DID IT, in the exact same response.

You have done this a few times already with me. You are only looking foolish.

Seriously, do you NOT read every thing I write, or, are you really just TRYING TO make out that the readers are to stupid to realize this?

Once again, some one without the knowledge or knowing of some thing, would propose it in a way like; "From my viewpoint evolution does not have a purpose, but that does not mean that this is true, right, nor correct".
TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:47 pm
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:45 pm You have NOT backed up your claims. You just wrote, "Follow the references", Where is just one reference that backs up your supposition that evolution does not have a purpose?

I don't have to backup a negative claim with evidence. It is the DEFAULT POSITION for somebody WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE.

If you are a person WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE, then do NOT claim that you have the KNOWLEDGE of some thing. For example, like; Evolution has no purpose.

To ascribe a positive property to Evolution (like purpose) requires evidence.

X exists.
X has property Y.

The Eiffel tower exists.
The Eiffel tower is 324 meters tall.

Evolution exists.
Evolution has purpose.

To claim Evolution has purpose is to make a new claim about Evolution. New claims about evolution require new evidence.

Provide new evidence. Or shut the fuck up.
Again, what is with the 'shut the fuck up' comments, especially on a philosophy forum in a philosophy discussion? Especially since it was YOU who was the one who proposed 'evolution has NO purpose'. Remember I have NOT proposed any thing to you other than, YOU continually write things as though they are absolutely true, right, and correct.

Let us concentrate and focus on WHAT I AM ACTUALLY CLAIMING. The EVIDENCE for MY CLAIM here is in YOUR OWN WRITINGS. Obviously you do NOT want to focus and concentrate on WHAT YOU ARE DOING, and just as obvious is the very reason WHY you do NOT want to focus on this issue. But that IS the claim I made here.

There I have provided the EVIDENCE for MY claim. Your own writings IS My EVIDENCE.

Now, you claim, in MY evidence, that 'evolution has NO purpose'.

MY question IS, HOW do you KNOW this?

By the way since when was 'evolution has no purpose' an "old claim" and 'evolution has purpose' a "new claim"?

When did this occur and on what date?

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:02 pm
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:59 pm

I am a fool. A fool without knowledge. Did you use that word as a pejorative? Shame.

I guess you still care about what other people think of you.

I am the "fool" you keep giving your money to for the foolish things I create and you use with all these stupid/false beliefs I hold :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a ... ery_minute
That is the idea, especially in a philosophy forum, when all else fails and you unable to provide any sound nor valid arguments for your position any more, just throw yourself into writing how important you, and your job, are, and how other "inferior" beings like me NEED people like yourself in our lives.

To me, you really do come across as wanting, and needing, to be always right and also always superior to others.

But that is only my view, which obviously could be 100% totally wrong and incorrect.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:37 pm That is the idea, especially in a philosophy forum, when all else fails and you unable to provide any sound nor valid arguments for your position any more
Stop writing things as though you have knowledge/absolute certainty of what "soundness" and "validity" entails!

I already told you. I am not here to justify my position. I am here to show you that your position is wrong in more ways than mine; OR learn how my position is wrong.

That does NOT make be "absolutely right". It makes me actively trying to be LESS WRONG! It looks to me as though I am succeeding so far.

We are clearly playing "philosophy" by different rules!
Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:37 pm To me, you really do come across as wanting, and needing, to be always right and also always superior to others.

But that is only my view, which obviously could be 100% totally wrong and incorrect.
You are wrong. I am showing you the error you have made.

You have incorrectly presupposed my objective, my goals and the rules by which I play.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:21 pm "From my viewpoint evolution does not have a purpose, but that does not mean that this is true, right, nor correct".
Well OBVIOUSLY it's from my point of view - I speak for myself. From whose point of view would I be saying "evolution doesn't have a purpose". Yours? Charles Darwin's ?

Do you make it a habit to speak from other peoples' points of view? Is this why you project your expectation onto me that I must be explicit about the point of view I am speaking from?

I have also said that I do not believe in absolute knowledge, nor absolute truth, nor absolute rightness, nor absolute correctness. I am not an absolutist.

So again: you are projecting an EXPECTATION onto me. You are mandating that I MUST say those things when I speak because <reasons>.

Why do you insist on me being explicit about things which cannot be any other way!

Evolution does not have a purpose. If you disagree, think that I am wrong, then please correct me by providing evidence for Evolution's purpose.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Greta
The idea of knowing "thyself" is to appreciate your biases and blind spots so that you may better appreciate reality, less sullied by base subjectivism. The idea (for me, anyway) is to get a better handle on reality per se, and that logically can't just be restricted to self focus, because reality extends rather a long way beyond the self. Why do I want to know? Curiosity, nothing grand.
As I see it you are describing the beginning of process leading to becoming able to know thyself. What IYO is the self being referred to that must be known? Is it really just personal characteristics or something far greater?
However, if everyone was so focused on themselves, what kind of world would it be? Nothing would get done. We'd have no mod cons so we'd be spending so much time trying to survive that we'd not have time to focus on ourselves any more. Some people need to work, others need to think and hopefully the benefits of each will be passed around.
Would efforts to know thyself just prevent things from getting done or result in more beneficial things getting done? Take the example of mindfulness Buddhist’s practice. Must efforts towards mindfulness result in the loss of potential to get things done?
Patronising. After reading Ouspensky and Gurdjeiff for years decades ago and hearing you banging on endlessly about it, I'm more than aware of the notion of "waking sleep".
What is waking sleep?
Also, who said I had faith in solutions? That's just nonsense. Please provide quotes to justify your claim
im that I have "faith in solutions". Weird thing to say to someone who's always banging on about "wicked problems".
Re: Snow Persons
• Report this post
Post by Greta » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:39 pm
Trivia. This is being PC about PC.

The media wants us to argue amongst ourselves about this crap. What they don't want is for us to talk about excessive immigration levels and tax fraud by multinational companies.

Let's talk about tax avoidance by multinational companies. Who or what do you think is most responsible for letting them get away with it rather than closing the loopholes?
The solution for you consists of condemning Trump and arguing about immigration, tax fraud, and multinational corporations. You do not appreciate why and how the human condition has led to these problems. As long as the human condition remains the same, the problems remain the same and only differ in expression.
I'll give you this, you pretend to aim high - as if you are on the path to grasp the golden ticket of enlightenment and "wokeness" to grant you admission to the Übermensch club. I think that, given the extent of your spiritual ambition, perhaps it would be best for you to stop dicking about on forums and get into some serious study and practice? Do you think that stuff is so easy and life so long that you can afford to waste time on such frivolities?
This is a philosophy site. I am discussing philosophy and am curious as to the nature of resistance to the deep philosophical ideas of those like Plato and Plotinus. For example it has become clear that if the glorification of negative emotions in society stopped and experienced for what they are, society would crumble. Why this must be so is an interesting question for me.
As for sleepy ole me, I don't have your soaring ambition to be some kind of spiritual master (spiritual mistress?). These days I am quite comfortable with my mediocrity, past and present, despite decades of denial and wishing that it wasn't so. In my denial I strove for the stars at times - I wanted to be deep, to be awake etc, but rather than stars I got dusty old asteroids. Over time one gets the hint.

So now I'm just curious about the nature of reality and find it all interesting and fun, but there are some disappointing aspects of the world today, but such entropy has to hit some generation - why not mine?
As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII [All the world’s a stage]
William Shakespeare, 1564 - 1616
Jaques to Duke Senior

All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress’ eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon’s mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank, and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
From dust to dust. Yet some suggest though it may be true for the human body, the human essence may not be so limited and have conscious possibilities the Great Beast is unaware of. They pursue awakening to reality to whatever degree they are capable. Though the world is against them, they do make progress.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Age wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:10 am
Greta wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:00 am I have rather more faith in nature and humanity than you. While we both see the current situation as fatally flawed, you see it as a need for mystical transformation and I see it as a lack of maturity.

Reality has worked itself out better than we could have conceived thus far over 13.8b years, and I fully expect reality to continue operating far beyond our conceptions. We grasp the mere fringes of what's going on and then figure that we understand. Yet these are early days. The idea of humans understanding the universe is akin to babies understanding ethics and nuclear medicine. We simply don't have the capabilities, but they will grow.

Who can answer the question - what kind of entities will be present in the universe in 50 or 100 billion years' time? Anyone who can't authoritatively know has barely a clue what's really going on with reality.
I do not see how your answer follows your question.

Why do you propose that if one can not authoritatively know what entities will be present in the Universe in 50 or 100 billion years time, how they would also not have barely a clue about what is really going on with reality?

A human being could have already worked our what is really going on with reality, but not necessarily KNOW, from your perspective of 'authoritatively knowing', what kind of entities will be present in some future time. How are you defining 'entities' here?
I am defining 'entities' as whatever follows biological life, which is clearly a transitional phase rather than an end point or mature form.

If you are a baby, having only lived a small proportion of your span and incapable of comprehending adulthood, would you say you are capable of understanding reality? That is our situation, 13.8 billion years into a lifespan of about 1,000 billion years.
Greta

Post by Greta »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:46 am
Greta wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:54 pm
TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:15 am
There is always imagination, but the universe's stuff is tried and tested...
On what is imagination based?
Wherever and however you get your inspiration from. Some would argue that psychedelic experiences are not world-inspired.
Then they are probably not very good at the chemistry and biochemistry, which is of this world and are rather underestimated in their power and influence, hence the notion that it came from elsewhere. You underestimate the profundity and aliennness of chemicals.

Remember, life emerged from inorganic chemicals. That is, the difference between the first life form and the complex organic chemicals from which it emerged would have not been great. Chemistry seems like magic to us because we largely only sense their nature via our weak taste and smell. Consider the counter intuitive nature of the Briggs-Rauscher reaction with its toggling colour changes and spontaneous vortex, or how when sodium polyacrylate and water are mixed it immediately solidifies, the heating of calcium gluconate to create "snakes" (many people's favourite) or the frothy outpourings of hydrogen peroxide and potassium iodide (Elephant's Toothpaste). I doubt anyone would have imagined such things to be possible if it wasn't true.

As JBS Haldane famously said, "I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose".
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Greta wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:27 pm
TimeSeeker wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:46 am
Greta wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:54 pm
On what is imagination based?
Wherever and however you get your inspiration from. Some would argue that psychedelic experiences are not world-inspired.
Then they are probably not very good at the chemistry and biochemistry, which is of this world and are rather underestimated in their power and influence, hence the notion that it came from elsewhere. You underestimate the profundity and aliennness of chemicals.

Remember, life emerged from inorganic chemicals. That is, the difference between the first life form and the complex organic chemicals from which it emerged would have not been great. Chemistry seems like magic to us because we largely only sense their nature via our weak taste and smell. Consider the counter intuitive nature of the Briggs-Rauscher reaction with its toggling colour changes and spontaneous vortex, or how when sodium polyacrylate and water are mixed it immediately solidifies, the heating of calcium gluconate to create "snakes" (many people's favourite) or the frothy outpourings of hydrogen peroxide and potassium iodide (Elephant's Toothpaste). I doubt anyone would have imagined such things to be possible if it wasn't true.

As JBS Haldane famously said, "I have no doubt that in reality the future will be vastly more surprising than anything I can imagine. Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose".
That the cause is well understood is not what I am disputing. The consequences of said chemicals produce emergent behaviour that is unlike anything we have perceived (and therefore experienced) before.

And all of our scientific knowledge comes from consequence. Cause-and-effect.

Like, Unicorns are still horses with a horn on their head. But what about the stuff I can't put in words? ;)

I have no baseline from which to even begin to describe them. Except - patterns!