Free will is an epistemic problem

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Free will is an epistemic problem

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 pm And, what point is that, that you were TRYING TO make about 'epistemology/knowledge'?

If you recall correctly, I did ask you WHAT DID YOU MEAN regarding the exact same thing, which you obviously refused to answer. So, if you do NOT clarify what POINT you are TRYING TO make, then HOW to you expect others to grasp what you are TRYING TO point out?
What I am trying to point out is that you can't justify your choices without appealing to some prior knowledge.
But 'I' CAN and 'I' just DID.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pmSaying "I can choose" is a weasel word.
There are three words there, which one is the so called "weasel" word exactly?
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pmObviously you can choose. You just did - you chose to reject the First Axiom of Mathematics!

What I am asking you is WHY did you make that choice? Because you can? Thats circular!
And True.

That is HOW Free Will WORKS.

I CAN do absolutely any thing that I so choose to do. That is the BEAUTY of HAVING Free Will.

It is a shame that you do NOT have any Free Will at all. I think you would enjoy It. You can choose what to do, and when to do it. You can even think for your self, rather being lead along some determined path, of which you have absolutely NO idea where you are being lead to and heading to. Do you feel somewhat frustrated some times NOT being able to think for your self?
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pmBased on what information did you determine that rejecting the Axioms of Mathematics is a better option than the other two?
Did you NOT read WHAT I previously WROTE?

HERE I will repeat it for you, AGAIN. I did NOT choose to reject mathematics at all. NOW, let us see if THAT sinks into you THIS TIME?

Or, will that determined BELIEF, which you can NOT shake and let go off for now, keep driving you to "argue" YOUR POINT?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:46 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:23 pm And, what point is that, that you were TRYING TO make about 'epistemology/knowledge'?

If you recall correctly, I did ask you WHAT DID YOU MEAN regarding the exact same thing, which you obviously refused to answer. So, if you do NOT clarify what POINT you are TRYING TO make, then HOW to you expect others to grasp what you are TRYING TO point out?
What I am trying to point out is that you can't justify your choices without appealing to some prior knowledge.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pmSaying "I can choose" is a weasel word.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pmObviously you can choose. You just did - you chose to reject the First Axiom of Mathematics!

What I am asking you is WHY did you make that choice? Because you can? Thats circular!
And True.

I CAN do absolutely any thing that I so choose to do. That is the BEAUTY of HAVING Free Will.

It is a shame that you do NOT have any Free Will at all. I think you would enjoy It. You can choose what to do, and when to do it. You can even think for your self, rather being lead along some determined path, of which you have absolutely NO idea where you are being lead to and heading to. Do you feel somewhat frustrated some times NOT being able to think for your self?
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:30 pmBased on what information did you determine that rejecting the Axioms of Mathematics is a better option than the other two?

HERE I will repeat it for you, AGAIN. I did NOT choose to reject mathematics at all. NOW, let us see if THAT sinks into you THIS TIME?

Or, will that determined BELIEF, which you can NOT shake and let go off for now, keep driving you to "argue" YOUR POINT?
I guess you are too ignorant to understand. You don't even understand the consequences of your choices...

According to you "free will" works like magic. You don't even know WHY you make the choices you do ;)

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:36 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:29 pm WHAT do you mean by "ignorant" here? WHAT do you think/believe I WANT TO be ignorant OF EXACTLY?

What has this got to do with Me making a CHOICE, free willingly?
You free and willingly CHOSE to reject one of the Foundational Axioms of Mathematics.

The consequence of such choice is that you also have to reject arithmetic.
And if you reject arithmetic - you also have to reject algebra.
And if you reject arithmetic and algebra - you have to reject geometry.

And if you reject arithmetic, algebra and geometry then you have no Mathematics left because there is NO field of mathematics that doesn't hinge on one of those three pillars.
And SO WHAT?

What is it with 'you' and 'mathematics'? It is like you think mathematics has some sort of importance in life?

Human beings, as well as other animals on earth, lived quite happily for hundreds of thousands WITHOUT mathematics.

Mathematics is about as useful to living, happily, here on earth as debating so called "philosophical" issues ARE. BOTH are completely and utterly UNNECESSARY to living a Truly happy, meaningful, and well-lived life.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:36 pmSo I am ASSERTING that you are ignorant. Based on your (unwise) choice to reject the foundational axiom of Mathematics.
It's not a belief. It's a conclusion based on evidence.
WHAT IS 'a conclusion'? That I am ignorant?

And, WHAT is the 'evidence', which that supposed "conclusion", was actually based on? Because I chose NOT to pick one of two things?

If that is what you are suggesting, then that to me seems a rather very silly and stupid conclusion to arrive at, just because I did NOT choose some thing that you WANTED Me to choose.

If I did choose that WHAT you WANTED, then that would sort of defeat the Free Will that I HAVE, and have just SHOWN that I HAVE.

You started this thread, hoping, to confirm your biased BELIEF that Free Will is NOT possible (and correct me if i am wrong here) but now you have drifted off onto something about mathematics, and that I am ignorant based solely on the fact that I did NOT choose THAT, what you WANTED me to choose.

Let me just say now, I have already achieved, either that what I set out to achieve, or, that what was surely determined to happen, anyway.

So, that leaves us with the issue of; If it is really important to you, and, you really WANT me to choose ONE of those two things, then just let me know and I will do that, for you.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 pm And SO WHAT?

What is it with 'you' and 'mathematics'? It is like you think mathematics has some sort of importance in life?
It's only important if you care about learning how to think.
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 pm Human beings, as well as other animals on earth, lived quite happily for hundreds of thousands WITHOUT mathematics.
They did. But as I recall - I once asked you in which era in the past you would prefer to live in. And you said that you wouldn't...
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 pm Mathematics is about as useful to living, happily, here on earth as debating so called "philosophical" issues ARE. BOTH are completely and utterly UNNECESSARY to living a Truly happy, meaningful, and well-lived life.
And yet - here you are. Telling me this using a COMPUTER.
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:07 pm If that is what you are suggesting, then that to me seems a rather very silly and stupid conclusion to arrive at, just because I did NOT choose some thing that you WANTED Me to choose.
But you didn't choose the thing I wanted you to choose. You chose the thing YOU wanted to choose. You chose to reject Mathematics.

Based on that choice - I am asserting that you are ignorant. At least ignorant of how Mathematics permeates every aspect of modern life that you enjoy so much.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:46 pm

And True.

I guess you are too ignorant to understand. You don't even understand the consequences of your choices...
Some might say your guess is wrong?

You really do NOT read what I write, do you?

I ALREADY explained the consequences of My choice, HERE. Therefore, IF I already explained that, which I have, then that instantly infers that I have some what some of understanding of My choices that I made here.

Some future observers might even be very fascinated by just HOW MUCH understanding of the consequences that My choices are CREATING, HERE and NOW.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 pmAccording to you "free will" works like magic.
WHERE and WHEN did I even remotely suggest any thing like that at all?

By the way the countless times I ask you to back up and support with EVIDENCE these unsubstantiated claims like this that you make, I actually do mean for you to do it. You have NOT done it even once yet, although I have asked you many times if you can do it, then do it.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 pm You don't even know WHY you make the choices you do ;)
Yes I do. Remember just a VERY short time ago when I explained to you that I made the choice I did to SHOW exactly HOW Free Will works?

Did you forget that?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:19 pm
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:47 pmAccording to you "free will" works like magic.
Well you can't explain WHY you made the choice. So your explanation of "how free will" works is no better than a dice.

I rolled the dice. It said Option C. Free will! The dice was FREE to choose anything it wanted.

Through your inability to justify your choice you suggested it.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:19 pm Yes I do. Remember just a VERY short time ago when I explained to you that I made the choice I did to SHOW exactly HOW Free Will works?
Indeed. You explained something that did not require explanation. You told me WHAT you've chosen. It was obvious to me and to you that you had made a choice.

But that wasn't the question I was asking you...

I was asking you WHY you made THAT choice when you had two others.

You have't explained HOW free will works. You have only demonstrated that you have it.

Of course - you can simply say that you have no clue how your own mind works and that you don't know why you made the choice that you did. You can admit that you can't explain it.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:22 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Well you can't explain WHY you made the choice.
You REALLY do NOT read WHAT I WRITE, do you?

I said, WHY I made the choice I did, was because I CAN. Nothing more and nothing less is needed to explain WHY.

Although I have already also explained the OTHER reason of WHY I made that choice, which you obviously forget or purposely dismissed and rejected it. That reason was to SHOW exactly HOW free will works.

That is the BEAUTY of having Free Will.

I CAN show with EVIDENCE of HOW free will ACTUALLY WORKS.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:22 pmSo your explanation of "how free will" works is no better than a dice.
WHAT??????

I explained that just having THE ABILITY to choose IS HOW Free Will works.

NOW, instead of just saying throw away remarks like; "Well you can't explain WHY ...", and, "... your explanation ... .... is no better ..." WHEN obviously the Truth was and still IS I have already explained WHY I made the choice that I did and also explained HOW Free Will works, So, WHY do you NOT focus on that instead of using lying remarks like you continually do?
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:22 pmI rolled the dice. It said Option C. Free will! The dice was FREE to choose anything it wanted. And it chose C.
If you WANT TO discuss what I write about, then READ what I actually WRITE, and then discuss that. If, however, you just WANT TO use mathematics as evidence to prove that there is NO free will, then do that. What are you waiting for?

I have already said; If it is really important to you, and, you really WANT me to choose ONE of those two things, then just let me know and I will do that, for you.

If you NEED me to be your subject bunny, to PROVE that your already held BELIEF is True, Right, and Correct, because you are unable to "prove" it by your own self, then go ahead. I am excited in anticipation of what YOU will reveal to us ALL here.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 pm I said, WHY I made the choice I did, was because I CAN. Nothing more and nothing less is needed to explain WHY.
So how is free will different to a dice?

A dice also CAN make choices. EXACTLY like you are doing.
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 pm If it is really important to you, and, you really WANT me to choose ONE of those two things, then just let me know and I will do that, for you.
No.What is important is you explaining why you've chosen ONE of those THREE things. What is important is WHY you didn't choose the other TWO.
Last edited by TimeSeeker on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:37 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:19 pm Yes I do. Remember just a VERY short time ago when I explained to you that I made the choice I did to SHOW exactly HOW Free Will works?
Indeed. You explained something that did not require explanation. You told me WHAT you've chosen. It was obvious to me and to you that you had made a choice.

But that wasn't the question I was asking you...

I was asking you WHY you made THAT choice when you had two others.

You have't explained HOW free will works. You have only demonstrated that you have it.

Here is an idea; READ what I ACTUALLY write BEFORE you respond.

Or, better still lose the BELIEF, then you will SEE what I ACTUALLY DO WRITE.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:37 pmOf course - you can simply say that you have no clue how your own mind works and that you don't know why you made the choice that you did. You can admit that you can't explain it.
Lol.

You never cease to amuse Me.

I have already explained.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm I have already explained.
It was an unsatisfactory explanation. Your "free will" is no different to a dice roll.

If that is how you make decisions in life (rolling a dice) - that is obviously your prerogative.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 pm I said, WHY I made the choice I did, was because I CAN. Nothing more and nothing less is needed to explain WHY.
So how is free will different to a dice?
One comes from within the human body, the other is external to the human body.
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pmA dice also CAN make choices. EXACTLY like you are doing.
HOW CAN a dice make choices?

It just moves, depending on what external force has been put onto it, until it stops.

Are you really sure that you think/believe a dice CAN make choices?

WHERE do these "choices" come from exactly, that you say dices CAN make? Are they inside the dice? Or, on the outer edge of it? Or, some where else?
TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:43 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 pm If it is really important to you, and, you really WANT me to choose ONE of those two things, then just let me know and I will do that, for you.
No.What is important is you explaining why you've chosen ONE of those THREE things. What is important is WHY you didn't choose the other TWO.
There would be a million other choices, which I could have chosen from, to choose. NOT just three.

How many times do I have to explain this to you before it really does sink in?

The REASON WHY I chose what I did, was because I WANTED to SHOW exactly HOW free will actually works and operates BEFORE I moved onto picking one of YOUR two choices, and SEEING, for sure, what I think will happen.

Post by Age »

TimeSeeker wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm
Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:46 pm I have already explained.
It was an unsatisfactory explanation. Your "free will" is no different to a dice roll.

If that is how you make decisions in life (rolling a dice) - that is obviously your prerogative.
Is this all you have got left now?
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:58 pm Is this all you have got left now?
Yep. It's enough. You still can't justify your choice any better than a dice ;)
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Age wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:57 pm There would be a million other choices, which I could have chosen from, to choose. NOT just three.
But you didn't consider a million other options. You only considered 3.

Had you considered a million options - I imagine that it would've taken you a little longer to choose.
Had you considered a billion options - It would take you even longer.

All you are arguing for is that you don't have a 3-sided dice, you have a 1000000000000000000000-sided dice.
Fine. Here is a your "free will" in Python: https://repl.it/repls/StunningHumiliatingFiletype

You are still avoiding the question. In fact, you are making the challenge that much harder for yourself.

When I gave you two options you only had to justify WHY you've discarded 1 option.
You introduced a 3rd option. So now I am asking you to justify WHY you discarded the other 2.

If you insist on introducing a million options - I am just going to insist that you justify WHY you've discarded the other 999999 options.
Or maybe you want to justify how you discarded 999999999999999999999 other options?

Either way - you aren't answering my question. WHY that ONE?!?!? WHY not any of the other 999999999999999999999?