Humans are fundamentally evil - according to Science

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

philosopher

Humans are fundamentally evil - according to Science

Post by philosopher »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_ ... nt#Results

According to Science, humans are fundamentally evil.

This has been proven over and over again. It unfolds just before our eyes in the news every day.

For example, whenever Trump is acting like an egomaniac psychopath, the vast majority of Americans applause.

When war broke out in 1914, the vast majority of people went to the streets, celebrating the outbreak of The Great War.

It was also the ordinary average working class German citizen, who voted for Hitler.

It was the majority of the Turks who voted for Turkish dictatorship (giving Erdogan far more power than a democracy would usually allow) and in countries like Denmark, Germany, France, Netherlands etc. turks attacked other turks who disagreed with Erdogan.

Also do remember that Assad in Syria is a very popular president, not despite of gassing his own population, but BECAUSE he gasses them.

Putin is popular, because he is imitating Stalin.

The list goes on and on forever.

My question is:

Why do humans favor evilness over goodness?
TimeSeeker

Re: Humans are fundamentally evil - according to Science

Post by TimeSeeker »

If you subscribe to Occam's razor then Hanlon's razor is a simpler explanation than 'humans are evil'.

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts ;)
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

Because children are just the worst perverts to walk the Earth? :wink:
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

TimeSeeker wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 pm If you subscribe to Occam's razor then Hanlon's razor is a simpler explanation than 'humans are evil'.

Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts ;)
I don't subscribe to the Hanlons razor. Humans are taught history, they watch the news every day. They see for themselves for whas before and what is coming if they act like they do.

That is why there is no other explanation that the fact that humans really DO want global warming, tyrannical dictatorships and mass slaughter.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:00 pm I don't subscribe to the Hanlons razor. Humans are taught history, they watch the news every day. They see for themselves for whas before and what is coming if they act like they do.

That is why there is no other explanation that the fact that humans really DO want global warming, tyrannical dictatorships and mass slaughter.
Well. You are still using electricity. Do your bit for mother Earth and go dark!

I bet everybody is thinking 'I will only give up my comforts when everybody else does'...
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 pm
philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:00 pm I don't subscribe to the Hanlons razor. Humans are taught history, they watch the news every day. They see for themselves for whas before and what is coming if they act like they do.

Well. You are still using electricity. Do your bit for mother Earth and go dark!

I bet everybody is thinking 'I will only give up my comforts when everybody else does'...
I don't subscribe to the "go dark to combat global warming" idea. It is not something society can tolerate. We don't want to go back to before the industrial revolution. The solution is renewable energy sources. To gradually turn away from oil-based energy, into other sources.

Besides:
Global warming is not the only thing that is evidence for mankind's evilness. You seem to only focus on this one, in order to make my other points invalid. It is a fallacy.

How do you explain why people celebrate when war breaks out? How do you explain why people voted for making Erdogan dictator?
How do you explain why whenever Trump acts like an egomaniac psychopath, people applause?

And lastly: How do you explain why ordinary people can turn into evil monsters by making them prison guards?
Stanford Prison Experiment.
Last edited by philosopher on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 pm The solution is renewable energy sources.
Do the math. Renewable energy can neither meet the demand nor match the price. So... we have to give something up to shrink the demand.
What do you propose that is?
philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 pm How do you explain why people celebrate when war breaks out? How do you explain why people voted for making Erdogan dictator?
How do you explain why whenever Trump acts like an egomaniac psychopath, people applause?
Ignorance. It is more plausible than 'evil' because nobody knows what evil is. It is a made up word.
Mosquitos kill more people than wars. Are mosquitos evil?
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 pm Do the math. Renewable energy can neither meet the demand nor match the price. So... we have to give something up to shrink the demand.
What do you propose that is?
Nuclear energy. And I am not saying that we should completely give up on fossil fuels either.

It is already in use. Problem is that eco-hippies are against it.
TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 pm Ignorance. It is more plausible than 'evil' because nobody knows what evil is. It is a made up word.
Mosquitos kill more people than wars. Are mosquitos evil?
How do you explain the Stanford Prison Experiment then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_ ... experiment
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:19 pm Nuclear energy. And I am not saying that we should completely give up on fossil fuels either.

It is already in use. Problem is that eco-hippies are against it.
And what do we do with nuclear waste?
And how do you solve the problem that current technology would deplete uranium supply in 200 years? Less if we replace coal with nuclear.
What do you do with the increased rate of nuclear accidents?
philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:19 pm How do you explain the Stanford Prison Experiment then?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_ ... experiment
You are answering the question with a question, but I will tell you anyway: social norms and group think.

Post by Age »

philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 pm
TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't subscribe to the "go dark to combat global warming" idea. It is not something society can tolerate. We don't want to go back to before the industrial revolution. The solution is renewable energy sources. To gradually turn away from oil-based energy, into other sources.

Besides:
Global warming is not the only thing that is evidence for mankind's evilness. You seem to only focus on this one, in order to make my other points invalid. It is a fallacy.

How do you explain why people celebrate when war breaks out? How do you explain why people voted for making Erdogan dictator?
How do you explain WHY you are evil?

Answer that and then you will have the answer to your questions.

Are you brave enough to name any or all the evil things you do? If you start with that, then it will be much easier for you to answer why you, human beings, are fundamentally evil.
philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:12 pmAnd lastly: How do you explain why ordinary people can turn into evil monsters by making them prison guards?
Stanford Prison Experiment.
You have turned yourself into an "evil monster" and I bet you are not even a prison guard. Why are you such an evil monster as you are? Or, do you like to fool yourself by thinking and pretending that you are not an evil monster that does not do evil things?
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

Age wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:31 pm
How do you explain WHY you are evil?

Answer that and then you will have the answer to your questions.

Are you brave enough to name any or all the evil things you do? If you start with that, then it will be much easier for you to answer why you, human beings, are fundamentally evil.
I am a human being. That is why I am evil. Not all humans are evil, but most people - including myself, are evil.

I bet you are evil too.

Upon my enemies, I wish ill luck, from cancer to execution by garrotting and crucifixion.
I admit, this is evil. I have no trouble in admitting I am evil.

I am no psychopath though. But I am evil, nonetheless.

Why am I evil?

I don't know.

The wierd stuff however, is that sometimes I can be just as forgiving to people.

Example: Am I pro-death penalty? The answer depends on my current mood.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

I am not evil.

I am capable and willing to commit extreme violence. Atrocities even.

And yet - I am not evil.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm I am not evil.

I am capable and willing to commit extreme violence. Atrocities even.

And yet - I am not evil.
How is that possible - to be willing to commit extreme violence and atrocities, yet not being evil?

You are evil, if you are willing to commit extreme violence and atrocities.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:36 pm How is that possible - to be willing to commit extreme violence and atrocities, yet not being evil?

I don't understand why you think it is evil?
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

TimeSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:38 pm
philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:36 pm How is that possible - to be willing to commit extreme violence and atrocities, yet not being evil?

I don't understand why you think it is evil?
I define evil as the intentional harming others with the purpose of harming others.