For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Yeah, get it right, Grrreta.

Post by henry quirk »

Dalek Prime

Re: Yeah, get it right, Grrreta.

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 pm.
Yeah. What henry said! :lol:
Dubious

Re: Common Courtesy

Post by Dubious »

When it comes to space travel I'd rather do it through a-state-of-the-art virtual reality device sitting in a rocking chair than the actual experience of traveling through an endless void until the next rock is reached. The boredom would be intense, perhaps even to the point of suicide in spite of all the regular and specialized duties that must be performed on such a journey; on a much smaller scale it would not be unlike spending time onboard a nuclear sub only anchoring when it needs to restock. You know you're close to breakdown when the crew is watching and re-watching every single Lost in Space episode.

I can't imagine anything more boring than space travel since there's no way to get anywhere fast. One's entire life is spent in a metal container only reaching one or two objectives. All the things to see on this planet are more interesting and much closer. That doesn't mean space travel shouldn't be attempted but it's important to realize it isn't going to be anything like a warp-driven Starship Enterprise kind of experience...probably not ever!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 pm
Greta wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm I just don't get why you two want to put any form of awareness out in space. Even if possible, you two fail to see yourselves deciding for someone else what to do with them, and put them through. Petty gods you are. It's revolting. And for no reason save your own edification. I can imagine the whole of life over the ages, with everyone arguing over how we came to be, and for what reason, only to find that it was some upscale Greta God deciding to begin a new iteration of the universe, on a whim.

If you cant see the horror in that, it's pointless trying to tell you. Horror doesn't exist without awareness. Why cant people be satisfied with their own awareness, if they love it so much, without deciding for others that it's great for them as well. If something doesn't have consciousness, don't assume it needs it, or needs to be created. The created has to deal with the fallout.

Damn it. Humanities incessant, mindless desire to perpetuate itself drives me absolutely insane.
For once I agree with Henry, D, you are a bit of a twat ;) An upscale Greta God would at least be better than the clapped out old jalopy writing this.

I'd rather be a petty goddess, raining down my accursed consciousness opon the unsuspecting inanimate. Fuck 'em. If we have to deal, then so should they rather than sitting around perfectly calmly - smug fuckin' rocks, thinking they are so great just because they're relatively stable. Wake up, dickhead rocks, time to get busy!

I recently wrote a short story about this - 'Let There Be Rocks' about the battle between geology and biology. You'd like some of parts where geology bitches about biology. Rocks get the last laugh but I won't spoil the ending :)
Ahem... I'm the dick. TimeSeeker is the twat. And I was just having a 'poke' at him. :wink: Gold star for the rest of the post though. Sounds like an enjoyable story :)
Yes, I did note that pointed thrust of yours at TimSee earlier :)

It's hard to say how enjoyable the stories are. I think some of the ideas are fun (as I would) but people keep telling me that my language is convoluted and it makes my writing hard to get through. I know it's the case on the forum because at times when I've looked back at a thread and come across on of my posts, there's a lot of blah :|. Working very hard to try to reduce the garble while not being patronising and leaving plot holes.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 pm Ahem... I'm the dick. TimeSeeker is the twat. And I was just having a 'poke' at him. :wink:
Your minor miscalculation in my "twatness" will end up with us crossing swords. I imagine it will be awkward for both of us, so maybe just keep it in your pants?

I promise I will. Until the opportunity to piss on your grave presents itself.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Greta wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:48 am
Greta wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 pm
For once I agree with Henry, D, you are a bit of a twat ;) An upscale Greta God would at least be better than the clapped out old jalopy writing this.

I'd rather be a petty goddess, raining down my accursed consciousness opon the unsuspecting inanimate. Fuck 'em. If we have to deal, then so should they rather than sitting around perfectly calmly - smug fuckin' rocks, thinking they are so great just because they're relatively stable. Wake up, dickhead rocks, time to get busy!

I recently wrote a short story about this - 'Let There Be Rocks' about the battle between geology and biology. You'd like some of parts where geology bitches about biology. Rocks get the last laugh but I won't spoil the ending :)
Ahem... I'm the dick. TimeSeeker is the twat. And I was just having a 'poke' at him. :wink: Gold star for the rest of the post though. Sounds like an enjoyable story :)

It's hard to say how enjoyable the stories are. I think some of the ideas are fun (as I would) but people keep telling me that my language is convoluted and it makes my writing hard to get through. I know it's the case on the forum because at times when I've looked back at a thread and come across on of my posts, there's a lot of blah :|. Working very hard to try to reduce the garble while not being patronising and leaving plot holes.
I know what you mean. I have a tendancy to write voluminously, or like Hemingway. I'm not sure if I'm happy with either.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

TimeSeeker wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am
Dalek Prime wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 pm Ahem... I'm the dick. TimeSeeker is the twat. And I was just having a 'poke' at him. :wink:
Your minor miscalculation in my "twatness" will end up with us crossing swords. I imagine it will be awkward for both of us, so maybe just keep it in your pants?

I promise I will. Until the opportunity to piss on your grave presents itself.
All good, TS. No harm meant on my behalf. I get carried away at times. Consider my apology to you extended, in good faith.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Greta wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:48 am

I know what you mean. I have a tendency to write voluminously, or like Hemingway. I'm not sure if I'm happy with either.
I think you have controlled your verbosity better than I've managed.
TimeSeeker

Post by TimeSeeker »

Dalek Prime wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm All good, TS. No harm meant on my behalf. I get carried away at times. Consider my apology to you extended, in good faith.
No harm, no foul.