Beliefs we are absolutely sure about

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Beliefs we are absolutely sure about

Post by Dontaskme »

The fight in the world is not between good and evil. Even today the wars in the world (are) not between good and evil, it is always between one man's belief and another man's belief. It's always between ''I am right'' and ''I am right''. The moment you believe something that is not a living experience for you, you are already in conflict with somebody else who believes something else.

How we ceaselessly struggle, and inevitably fail, to describe in words the ineffable.

The story of how the small fish came to the big fish inquiring about something called "the ocean."

How, the big fish thinks to itself, can you describe the ocean to someone who is already in the ocean?

commonsense

Re: the fight between right & right

Post by commonsense »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:24 pm The fight in the world is not between good and evil. Even today the wars in the world (are) not between good and evil, it is always between one man's belief and another man's belief. It's always between ''I am right'' and ''I am right''. The moment you believe something that is not a living experience for you, you are already in conflict with somebody else who believes something else.

Very astute. Wars have always been such. One side is motivated by the belief, “I am right/good and they are wrong/evil.” The other side is inspired by the same belief. This is true of all wars, I’d wager.
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:24 pm How we ceaselessly struggle, and inevitably fail, to describe in words the ineffable.
Endlessly struggling to describe the indescribable is ignorance or insanity. Certainly, a communication breakdown (e.g. failure of diplomacy) between two camps can lead to distrust, fear and hatred. Combined with a belief in the solitary ownership of right or good stuff, this is a recipe for war.
Dontaskme wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:24 pm The story of how the small fish came to the big fish inquiring about something called "the ocean."
How, the big fish thinks to itself, can you describe the ocean to someone who is already in the ocean?
The big fish says to the small fish:
“There is water in every direction around you. Above you, the water continues until there is air. Everywhere else, the water continues until there is ground or flooring. The water is salty. This is called ‘ocean’ and you are in it.”
The small fish then asks, “Why?”.
The big fish then impales itself on the nearest hook it can find.
Dontaskme

Re: From belief to clarity. ''Nondual Awareness''

Post by Dontaskme »

How not to point to the nondual state using terminology. What we are looking for is a term that doesn't let us create differentiations. This is why many people object to talking about the nondual experience. There are many different types of experiences and also in an experience there are objects that are experienced and a seeming experiencer. So experience isn't the ideal term. This leads some people to prefer the phrase ''nondual state'' But this isn't perfect either because there are different types of states and the nondual state is neither the same as, nor different from other states.
Silent nothingness is who you are, everything else is an illusion appearing in you. Nothing ever happened to you.Nonduality is not an experience. an experience is an illusion appearing and disappearing in you. You cannot be a you, you are you.

Judaka

Re: Beliefs we are absolutely sure about

Post by Judaka »

Conflict is never going to be created by holding "different beliefs" and no war ever occurred because of "different beliefs", just as nobody was ever killed due to "holding different beliefs". Conflict is caused by certain ideas that mandate the conflict and if these ideas are held, even if the two sides feel exactly the same way about everything, conflict may arise as the conditions may not require a difference in beliefs at all.

Most people can hold different beliefs without any kind of conflict. Not only that but what is a good answer for me is not necessarily going to be a good answer for you as we're different people living different lives. Philosophy requires nuance even if it ruins a good story.