On what basis do we own our own lives?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

In principle I agree, Common: I own me even if obstructed or 'held'.

Thing is: that ownership becomes moot if someone else consistently calls the shots.

Example: I become quadriplegic and can't care for myself. In such a circumstance does my self-possession really mean anything?

The principle holds, sure, but if my indifferent Medicare-appointed nurse leaves me to lay in my own shit for six hours what good is my self-ownership?

Principles are meaningful only if they can be expressed physically, forcefully, successfully, in the world.
Dalek Prime

Re: On what basis do we own our own lives?

Post by Dalek Prime »

Can one buy one's freedom? At what point is one not owned? Even a billionaire is not free to do anything and everything he wishes, and is answerable to someone, or society.

What does true freedom look like? Did Robinson Crusoe have it? Does it take being alone on a deserted island to be free? That is, a complete negation of society?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Can one buy one's freedom?"

Sure: Stan has you and won't let you go till you pony up a grand...you do, and Stan lets you go.

#

"At what point is one not owned?"

As I say: when you claim yourself and successfully defend that claim.

#

"Even a billionaire is not free to do anything and everything he wishes, and is answerable to someone, or society."

The rich man, the poor man, and those in-between, are free to attempt anything allowed by the way Reality works. Even the slave (the one owned by another) is free to attempt anything. There's no guarantee of success, however, and there are always consequences.

#

"What does true freedom look like?"

I suspect, Dal, if you look in the mirror you'll see it (yourself).