The Dualistic Mind

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: The Dualistic Mind

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 pm When I get a little more time I’ll describe my conception of the comparison.
Wow! Is it going to be any NEW material :D ... or just more of your years-old, same-old regurgitated phrases and quotes and stories that we've heard a thousand times already? :( There's really no need for you to put it in a different order and re-label it.

Let's try something TOTALLY NEW!! What have you got?
At one time I was also limited to a dualistic mind so can appreciate why the sophists believe as they do. Then I had the good fortune to experience my triune mind which opened new psycholgical doors necessary to understand what the greats of the past introduced into the world. That's what I've got.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm At one time I was also limited to a dualistic mind so can appreciate why the sophists believe as they do. Then I had the good fortune to experience my triune mind which opened new psycholgical doors necessary to understand what the greats of the past introduced into the world. That's what I've got.
When did this happen?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm At one time I was also limited to a dualistic mind so can appreciate why the sophists believe as they do. Then I had the good fortune to experience my triune mind which opened new psycholgical doors necessary to understand what the greats of the past introduced into the world. That's what I've got.
When did this happen?
These are personal experiences which shouldn't be discussed in a hostile environment
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm These are personal experiences which shouldn't be discussed in a hostile environment
Then why did you bring it up?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm
When did this happen?
These are personal experiences which shouldn't be discussed in a hostile environment
I've provided my important experiences on the forum, as have others. Don't be so selfish. If you going to commandeer so much of the forum with your threads, the least you could do is provide transparency as to how you came to be what you are.
Last edited by Greta on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:32 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:54 pm These are personal experiences which shouldn't be discussed in a hostile environment
You live in the world of opinions. Arguing opinions is philosophy for you. This is the modern way. The purpose of this thread is to describe the difference in attitude between seekers of truth and the struggle for dominant opinions. All I wrote was that I have experienced the difference.

The sad part for the world is that it is hated. it doesn't bother me since I know why it must be so. However there are others especially the young who are psychologically hurt by spirit killers in education and those who create metaphysical repression in the young. Who wants to be hated? But once a person realizes why it must be so, the hating doesn't mean anything. It is just a reaction to the human condition. A sensitive person may read a thread like this and feel the distinction between the ways in which Socrates was one and the sophist philosophy which by definition denies the needs of the young beginning to open to the third dimension of thought.

That is why such threads are necessary. They will invite questions which even though they are hated, are necessary for the greater human good.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm
You live in the world of opinions. Arguing opinions is philosophy for you. This is the modern way. The purpose of this thread is to describe the difference in attitude between seekers of truth and the struggle for dominant opinions. All I wrote was that I have experienced the difference.

The sad part for the world is that it is hated. it doesn't bother me since I know why it must be so. However there are others especially the young who are psychologically hurt by spirit killers in education and those who create metaphysical repression in the young. Who wants to be hated? But once a person realizes why it must be so, the hating doesn't mean anything. It is just a reaction to the human condition. A sensitive person may read a thread like this and feel the distinction between the ways in which Socrates was one and the sophist philosophy which by definition denies the needs of the young beginning to open to the third dimension of thought.

That is why such threads are necessary. They will invite questions which even though they are hated, are necessary for the greater human good.
I imagine there will be some time in the future when you'll stop levitating and start walking again!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pmArguing opinions is philosophy for you.
You spend half your life arguing on forums.

Hypocrisy.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

You live in the world of opinions... /...The purpose of this thread is to describe the difference in attitude between seekers of truth and the struggle for dominant opinions.
All I asked you is WHEN you had the experience that you brought up. Do you not see the reasonable sequence of those two things? You say you want to inspire questions, but you actually don't want to be questioned, right?

I have absolute appreciation for truth... which is why I ask questions of people who make claims about one thing or another. Why is that so threatening? What do you think we're supposed to be doing here in the forum? You (and some others) take yourselves so seriously.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 pmI have absolute appreciation for truth... which is why I ask questions of people who make claims about one thing or another. Why is that so threatening? What do you think we're supposed to be doing here in the forum? You (and some others) take yourselves so seriously.
Yes, and since we have both enjoy surprising and profound experiences in our lives we are naturally keen to learn about those of others. It's interesting and inspiring.

Still, keeping key life experiences private in environments like this is understandable and at times is probably the best idea. Such experiences provide continuing inspiration in people's lives and if they become unconsciously associated with bad vibes, that can potentially degrade their potential personal value. So I'm okay with him keeping it to himself or only to trusted others.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 pm
You live in the world of opinions... /...The purpose of this thread is to describe the difference in attitude between seekers of truth and the struggle for dominant opinions.
All I asked you is WHEN you had the experience that you brought up. Do you not see the reasonable sequence of those two things? You say you want to inspire questions, but you actually don't want to be questioned, right?

I have absolute appreciation for truth... which is why I ask questions of people who make claims about one thing or another. Why is that so threatening? What do you think we're supposed to be doing here in the forum? You (and some others) take yourselves so seriously.
The fact that you say you have absolute appreciation for truth only reveals how far you are from it.
Simone Weil and Thomas Merton were born in France 6 years apart - 1909 and 1915 respectively. Weil died shortly after Merton entered the Abbey of Gethsemani. It is unclear whether Weil knew of Merton, but Merton records being asked to review a biography of Weil (Simone Weil: A Fellowship in Love, Jacques Chabaud, 1964) and was challenged and inspired by her writing. “Her non-conformism and mysticism are essential elements in our time and without her contribution we remain not human.”
You don't appreciate how much you will have to psychologically sacrifice for the sake of the experience of truth necessary for becoming human. Socrates said we have to "know thyself." But as we are we cannot. Einstein spoke of the "Cosmic Man." As we are we are incapable of even being courteous. Truth is one thing and pragmatic self justification is another. Once we admit our ignorance and hypocrisy, it is a beginning.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:19 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 pmI have absolute appreciation for truth... which is why I ask questions of people who make claims about one thing or another. Why is that so threatening? What do you think we're supposed to be doing here in the forum? You (and some others) take yourselves so seriously.
keeping key life experiences private in environments like this is understandable and at times is probably the best idea.
I agree. But if someone brings something up, it seems reasonable to think we can ask questions.

I think there is a great deal of dishonesty that is playing out by people who make claims and refuse to acknowledge the holes in what they say. The trend seems to be to speak in twirling psychotic babble to escape any rationalization. It makes me wonder if this forum is a daycare for some mental patients. :D It's astounding, really, that people who claim to value truth, are so dishonest.

Nick just accused me of not knowing what truth is. Everyone clearly has a view of truth -- and I don't think anyone's view needs to be adopted by everyone. But at least we can be stable enough in our own truth, hopefully, to interact with others in an honest way... which, to me, means answering questions about claims, rather than running away. If the truth has enough honesty in it, it should be able to withstand some discussion, shouldn't it?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm
Greta wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:19 pm
keeping key life experiences private in environments like this is understandable and at times is probably the best idea.
I agree. But if someone brings something up, it seems reasonable to think we can ask questions.

I think there is a great deal of dishonesty that is playing out by people who make claims and refuse to acknowledge the holes in what they say. The trend seems to be to speak in twirling psychotic babble to escape any rationalization. It makes me wonder if this forum is a daycare for some mental patients. :D It's astounding, really, that people who claim to value truth, are so dishonest.

Nick just accused me of not knowing what truth is. Everyone clearly has a view of truth -- and I don't think anyone's view needs to be adopted by everyone. But at least we can be stable enough in our own truth, hopefully, to interact with others in an honest way... which, to me, means answering questions about claims, rather than running away. If the truth has enough honesty in it, it should be able to withstand some discussion, shouldn't it?
Nick is a sprinkler - the stuff sprays out in a fairly arbitrary way in all directions.

He tells everyone who's not a theist that they don't know what truth is. Since some theists believe that their version of reality is exclusively true it's no surprise that nonbelievers are claimed not to understand the truth. Despite differing with them significantly on a number of points he has never accused Mr Can or DAM of not understanding truth because they are fellow believers.

It's that simple IMO

Far more interesting is the fact that he's had his own experiences and the chances are there were numerous commonalities with ours, although he would naturally claim that somehow his peak experiences were of a higher order than ours :lol:
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 pm The fact that you say you have absolute appreciation for truth only reveals how far you are from it.
That's ridiculous. You're acting like a child who just wants to disagree no matter what. You are not the Grand Poobah of truth, Nick. And it's very obvious that you want to find fault with anything I say because you see me as an enemy, right?

Are you at all willing to consider how your loyalty to the notions of your platform could distort your view? What specifically would I need to say to meet your criteria for knowing truth? Do you see how absurd that is?
Nick_A wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 pm You don't appreciate how much you will have to psychologically sacrifice for the sake of the experience of truth necessary for becoming human.
You have absolutely no idea of this in regard to me. You do not know what my experiences have been, nor what I see right now. It's just so foolish for you to make such claims.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greta wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 pm Nick is a sprinkler - the stuff sprays out in a fairly arbitrary way in all directions.

He tells everyone who's not a theist that they don't know what truth is. Since some theists believe that their version of reality is exclusively true it's no surprise that nonbelievers are claimed not to understand the truth. Despite differing with them significantly on a number of points he has never accused Mr Can or DAM of not understanding truth because they are fellow believers.

It's that simple IMO

Far more interesting is the fact that he's had his own experiences and the chances are there were numerous commonalities with ours, although he would naturally claim that somehow his peak experiences were of a higher order than ours :lol:
Well said. :)

I would truly much prefer to talk about the commonalities, shared truths, and inspiring insights -- and I do not mean that people must think the same at all!! I have theist friends... and Trump-loving friends (ha)... and some very conscious friends... and some not-so-conscious friends... and we can ALL relate. It's just not that hard, in my experience. There is plenty to see together. Here on the forum, there seems to be a fanatical inclination to religiously defend a platform... not just about a god, but about all kinds of things. It seems quite crazy.