Is philosophy going extinct?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is philosophy going extinct?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

For various reasons such as science and technology?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
Dalek Prime

Re: Is philosophy going extinct?

Post by Dalek Prime »

I think it's often belittled, but can and will survive. I doubt there's a lack of interest in it, but often bypassed in education as it's seen as not as readily applicable as science and technology.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Philosophy can never go extinct even if it's no-longer called philosophy for that would put an end to thinking, editing and critiquing. Philosophy is the art of thinking outside the box in a manner which reflects reality, especially current reality and questions it.

It has nothing to do with love of wisdom since wisdom like nature itself can represent truths which are anything but lovable. Philosophy is the Grand Inquisitor of thought placing it within the context of time and place where its most valuable and beneficial as compared to abstractions and wishful thinking that amount to nothing more than arid wastelands of useless concepts especially as designed by the overuse of an overly sophisticated vocabulary. Words are dangerous; they have the tendency to create dogmas camouflaging the reality underneath with its own fixed agenda. Philosophy is the art of separating words from the wordless.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

I think this site is definitely the ultimate proof for that. Seems like every discussion has become about politics and culture, which could be aided by philosophical truths but not what you probably mean.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

It is very common where terms are often bastardized and veered off from its original intended function and meaning. What is worst is the majority condone such bastardization.

The original term 'philosophy' [something to do with progressive knowledge and wisdom] has been currently bastardized by 'academic' philosophy. I agree academic philosophy is very necessary but those involved should not monopolize the term 'philosophy' as it is doing at present to the extent of looking down on what is not in line with their expectations.

Philosophy is not confined merely to Greek and Western Philosophy but include Eastern, Middle Eastern and other natural philosophical activities.

Personally I view 'philosophy' [or whatever the name of this 'rose'] emerged out of a very primal drive [near to breathing] to facilitate survival and the continual progress of humanity.
Because it is so primal and embedded from the base of the brain to the highest cortical parts, it is not likely philosophy-proper will ever be extinct not till all humans are extinct.

Point is regardless the bastardization of philosophy and since the original drive is intrinsic, it will naturally continue to be active in various ways.
Thus we need to identify what is philosophy-proper to ensure we get it back on track and expedite it along its natural function.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Philosophy is certainly alive and thriving in science fiction.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Greta wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 am Philosophy is certainly alive and thriving in science fiction.
So true (Star Trek is a good example).

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
-1-

Post by -1- »

I read somewhere some time ago a statistic that everyone (every human), regardless of age, status, social status, rich or poor, high-IQ or intellectually challenged, spends approx. four hours every day philosophizing.

By philosophizing I think the author meant rearranging events and new information every day, or else reflecting on older, well ingrained information and sorting them out, in the minds of every person.

Philosophy is nothing more than pattern recognition at a higher level of complexity.

Everyone philosophizes at their peak complexity per moment.

Whehter it's a nobel-prize winning professor of highest academic standing, or a pariah-caste public toilet cleaner in the old section of Lower Calcutta, four hours a day are taken up by both by sorting, classifying and otherwise passively processing information.

Philosophy will only become extinct when humans do.

And dogs, cats, lions, rhinos, tapeworms and amoebas will carry on in their own ways the tradition of all animal life: getting to know the environment for that knowledge provides huge survival advantage.
Walker

Post by Walker »

It never will because somewhere the perfect person will always exist.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am It never will because somewhere the perfect person will always exist.
I don't get this.

A perfect person would never need to philosophize. Perfection includes knowing all knowledge, and philosophy concerns itself (on our level) with seeking truth and knowledge; having found truth and knowledge, removes the necessity to philosophize.

So the existence of a person who is perfect removes the possibility of future philosophizing.

However, the perfect person may love his/her knowledge and wisdom. In that sense philosophy is everlasting, while philosophizing will become extinct.
Walker

Re: You don't get it?

Post by Walker »

Good. Something to contemplate.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:44 am
Greta wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:36 am Philosophy is certainly alive and thriving in science fiction.
So true (Star Trek is a good example).

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
That and satire. Much I learned about life and surviving it through Vonnegut.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm For various reasons such as science and technology?

🇺🇲PhilX🇺🇲
yes.

thinking is becoming extinct.

thanks to the hive mind of

facebook and smartphones

never joined the former and do no have the latter.

myself.........................

when this forum sellsout (like so many have) - to facefk. i'll not be able nor have interest in joining big brother and no longer post here.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 am I think this site is definitely the ultimate proof for that. Seems like every discussion has become about politics and culture, which could be aided by philosophical truths but not what you probably mean.
its all good - the AOLification to all internet - to the walled garden of facebook - where all are free and no mods are needed.

how long befoe this forum throws in the towel, and become part of the Borg.

facefk is ruining the Net. another decade and facefk wil be the net!

but worry not, sign up and smile.

i'll just be an old un plugged hermit by them - facefk offer me nothing and no interest in a walled internet big brother bullshit membership to be in touch with asshole i never like in highschool.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

Walker wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am It never will because somewhere the perfect person will always exist.
that is of course you ;-)

and me - I'll help you as a "robin" - a small apendage i know.

i'll do my part.