Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Is interpretation the basis for all subjective thought?

Post by Dubious »

Consider what creates a subjective thought and the question becomes what choice have we got?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm Consider what creates a subjective thought and the question becomes what choice have we got?
Yes, but these thoughts get reevaluated often enough. Like many of us here, (or some anyway lol), we reflect on why we do things, even if they seem subconscious. Which brings up a point I just noticed though, when I speak about free will and determinism; preferences. We can't seem to change those. So if HH had have brought up preferences, perhaps I could have lived with that answer. I'll have to think on that one more.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm
Dubious wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 pm Consider what creates a subjective thought and the question becomes what choice have we got?
Yes, but these thoughts get reevaluated often enough.
...like anything which is subjective and not hard-wired. Subjectivity implies changeability which further implies reinterpretation. Those who are fixed on dogma are in all respects diseased. As for free will, determinism, etc, I consider these subjects as the most stupid in all of philosophy. Have we really lived so long on this planet and still remain dubious as to their operating range even though we receive the same lessons everyday.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:25 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:57 pm
Yes, but these thoughts get reevaluated often enough.
...like anything which is subjective and not hard-wired. Subjectivity implies changeability which further implies reinterpretation. Those who are fixed on dogma are in all respects diseased. As for free will, determinism, etc, I consider these subjects as the most stupid in all of philosophy. Have we really lived so long on this planet and still remain dubious as to their operating range even though we receive the same lessons everyday.
I'm not keen on the subject either, but was reminded of preferences, which I do bring up on the topic.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 pmI believe you believe that. Nonetheless, you haven't shown how your exceptions defy interpretation.
Sorry I do not intend to show anything to you, you lack basic cognitive abilities, and will not comprehend things that normal people would easily do.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

I did exclude psychological dispositions from my OP but what do you guys think about that?

On a more reasonable level, people appear to be strongly influenced by their temperaments and other markers for behaviour. Then you also have ideas like body integrity disorder, transgenderism and so on.

My point is that the basis for the subjective thought is biological, although naturally, interpretation will occur as they have subjective thoughts on those beliefs and how to implement them in the world and so on.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

HexHammer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 pm
Dalek Prime wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 pmI believe you believe that. Nonetheless, you haven't shown how your exceptions defy interpretation.
Sorry I do not intend to show anything to you, you lack basic cognitive abilities, and will not comprehend things that normal people would easily do.
If they understood what the heck you're trying to say. :/