In a relationship, what is a good match?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Tough question.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Greta

Re: In a relationship, what is a good match?

Post by Greta »

With nature itself - with the sky, the Sun, Moon and stars, the trees, grasses, birds and bugs, and maybe the occasional canine and/or hominid thrown in if not too much trouble.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

The most important thing is the degree of compatibility between a couple
Because that is the very foundation on which the entire relationship rests
duszek

Post by duszek »

Some people are not looking for much excitement in their lives.
They are hypersensitive and thus handicapped in a way, but on the other hand they are never bored and they are not easily depressed (there is always enough excitement for them left).

They are a match for someone who is like them.
-1-

Post by -1- »

There are two ways of looking at this.

1. Your expectations met, with your partner's presentation; and vice versa.

This can, theoretically, never be achieved, on the other hand, if you are willing to lower your expectations WILLINGLY and SUCCESSFULLY then actually anyone is a good match to anyone else.

2. One that lights a fire at every strike.

Figuratively or literally, your choice.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

She can be turned off :mrgreen:
duszek

Post by duszek »

A problem:

some of our expectations may not be conceptualized yet, so we cannot say what they are, we are not aware of them even, not on a conscious level.

People then try to excuse themselves by vague expression like: "somehow I did not not feel happy with this person".

Simple expectations seem to work fine: one person wants to practice their English, the other one wants something too in exchange, there is a deal, everything else is not so important.
The match works for decades.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Mutual respect seems like a good starting point.

As well as having similar "awareness" levels... such that both people can be "thick" together, or "expanded" together, in similar ways. :)
-1-

Post by -1- »

duszek wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:26 am A problem:

some of our expectations may not be conceptualized yet, so we cannot say what they are, we are not aware of them even, not on a conscious level.

People then try to excuse themselves by vague expression like: "somehow I did not not feel happy with this person".

Simple expectations seem to work fine: one person wants to practice their English, the other one wants something too in exchange, there is a deal, everything else is not so important.
Another approach to accept unacceptable standards one has set for his or her partner, whether the standards are consciously recognized or not, is to tough it out. If something irritates you, or makes you angry, or sad, or desperate, or fatally mortified, then just overlook it. "Suck it up, Buttercup", is the motto for those who want to and do live this way in a partnership.
duszek

Post by duszek »

-1- wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:25 pm
duszek wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:26 am A problem:

Another approach to accept unacceptable standards one has set for his or her partner, whether the standards are consciously recognized or not, is to tough it out. If something irritates you, or makes you angry, or sad, or desperate, or fatally mortified, then just overlook it. "Suck it up, Buttercup", is the motto for those who want to and do live this way in a partnership.
Overlook it ?
How about your partner talking about your personal stuff because he likes to arouse interest in the occasional listener that way. How can I overhear it ? I go grumpy like hell.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

If we both smoke, as long as one of us has matches, I'm easy.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The only truly successful relationships I've seen have been where one, or both, makes the other laugh. Imagine having someone who makes you laugh often. What more could anyone ask for?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm The only truly successful relationships I've seen have been where one, or both, makes the other laugh. Imagine having someone who makes you laugh often. What more could anyone ask for?
A comedian can also make you laugh.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm The only truly successful relationships I've seen have been where one, or both, makes the other laugh. Imagine having someone who makes you laugh often. What more could anyone ask for?

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
So?
Philosophy Explorer

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: โ†‘Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 pm

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
So?
I think looks takes precedence over personality in forming a relationship although both are needed. When you first meet someone, chances are strong it was looks that helped to cement a relationship, not the ability to make you laugh.

๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒPhilX๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฒ