What does it mean to be a good citizen of...

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

What does it mean to be a good citizen of...

Post by commonsense »

... the U.S., or the U.K., or all of Europe, or the World as a whole, or a hypothetical place of your own invention, or your own nation or continent?

What defines citizenship?
What makes a good citizen?
How does one become a citizen? A good citizen?
Are there common characteristics that must be shared among citizens?
Is the social fabric of the community malleable?
Are there events in history that are understood by all good citizens?
What is the economic status of an average citizen?
Is there a need for a consensus of opinion amidst good citizens?
From where do citizens draw their inspiration?
Has there been a revision over time of what it means to be a good citizen?
Is it important for citizens to live in geographical continuity?
henry quirk

Golgotha Mining Station

Post by henry quirk »

Location: about 500 years from now, 41 light years from Sol, in and on an irregular iron-nickel asteroid roughly 11 kilometers long along its long axis (along with a large number of ancillary (faction dominated) bodies in close proximity).

What defines citizenship? Being there and taking care of yourself.

What makes a good citizen? Minding your own damn business and keeping your friggin' hands to yourself.

How does one become a citizen? Arriving, with marketable skills and materials neccessary to make use of those skills (having a few erg-creds on hand can only help). A good citizen? Taking care of yourself, minding your business, keeping your hands to yourself.

Are there common characteristics that must be shared among citizens? Yes, In no particular order: self-reliance, gumption, frugality, intelligence, pragmatism, enviro-appropriate skills, sobriety, micro-gravity tolerance, patience, keen desire to live.

Is the social fabric of the community malleable? As a minarchy, Golgotha is less a community and more a conglomeration of interacting, interrelated (loose) factions. The (One and Only) Law of Golgotha: Mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself, or else. Observe the Law, take care of yourself, and you can do as you like.

Are there events in history that are understood by all good citizens? The year (and story of how) Golgotha went independent is known to Golgothans. It's not a requirement to know the story, but, on Independence Day, when the station is locked down, made as safe as it can be, with all essential systems on short-term automatic (cuz the whole of Golgotha is deep in debauchery), it's only natural for a new citizen to ask 'why'?

What is the economic status of an average citizen? Varies, and defintions of 'well off' depend on (loose) faction. Abner Munson, owner/operator of the cargo hauler 'Make Do', a Golothan of good standing, might be considered to be of modest means by one of the Pitchblende miners (one of the wealthier factions), while Munson himself considers his autonomy far more important than a few extra erg-creds.

Is there a need for a consensus of opinion amidst good citizens? Only in minding the Law.

From where do citizens draw their inspiration? From wherever they like, as they can, or need to. If there's any shared 'inspiration' it comes from being Golgothan.

Has there been a revision over time of what it means to be a good citizen? Not really. The Law has been the (one and only) law for over two centuries.

Is it important for citizens to live in geographical continuity? Mostly, but haulers like Munson probably spend more time away from Golgotha than in Golgotha and he's considered a citizen in good standing, so...
commonsense

Re: What does it mean to be a good citizen of...

Post by commonsense »

Delicious post. Cool allegory in a smooth sci-fi package. Creative and insightful. I can sense a short story in your post, or even a novel. Heck, keep going and make it a series. Can't wait to hear more. I get free copies, OK?

You strongly value individualism, right?

[What does micro-gravity tolerance mean? Does it have to do with a lighter force of gravity on Golgotha? Like adapting to weighing less there than on current-day Earth? Or am I way off?]
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Delicious post. Cool allegory in a smooth sci-fi package. Creative and insightful."

Thanks.

#

"I can sense a short story in your post, or even a novel."

Mebbe so. I have the setting and probably the protagonist, what I don't have is a (sufficiently strong) story.

#

"Heck, keep going and make it a series."

Here? As a travelog, mebbe?

#

"Can't wait to hear more. I get free copies, OK?"

IF I ever get around to writing that novel, and IF it's actually published, yeah, you get a copy gratis.

#

"You strongly value individualism, right?"

Yeah, that's probably safe to say.

#

"What does micro-gravity tolerance mean?"

Not everyone takes to micro- and zero-gravity (the normal state of affairs in, on, and around Golgotha), some folks can only tolerate it. It's an inner ear thing. The legit term is 'space adaptation syndrome'. It's the sibling of air sickness and sea sickness: space sickness.

So, micro-gravity tolerance is, at most, full adaptation to gravity's absence. At the very least it's successfully puttin' up with the discomfort over the long haul.

Pass the Dramamine... :?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Murder makes a story strong. You can include sex if it fits with the story. The protagonist can interact with sleazy Golathians. There could be theft(s). Mysterious disappearances. There could be arrests for breaking the law—what happens to the culprits? You could get ideas from current events in the news (now or any that occur during the time that you are writing.) You could have some smuggling going on. And what’s the backstory on why Munson is smuggling? Love, sex, money, murder, secrecy, conflict, betrayal—-anything that is used in other genres, weaving in subtly what makes the thing different on Golatha. There could be an opposing political faction that favors some kind of communism over individual primacy. You better get busy. 500 years can go by faster than you think.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Mebbe it's more accurate to say I'm workin' to find a '(sufficiently strong) story' that I wanna read (cuz, fundamentally, that's why we write, right? If someone else writes the story we got no cause to do it ourselves).

But, absolutely, everything you mention is fair game.

i may write a little meta-narrative on some of those subjects.

I'll post 'em here (or I can start a new thread, if you like).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Great. I love meta-narratives.

I'm not going to critique, play editor or tell the story myself.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Feel free, though, to ask questions. Questions are good.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

smart question, and one i've often though of personally.

I will answer your inquiry via my personal bias - i value enlightenment concepts, and my views of good citizenship are per that, and not geography, one's nationality, sex or race/etc..............

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am ... the U.S., or the U.K., or all of Europe, or the World as a whole, or a hypothetical place of your own invention, or your own nation or continent?

What defines citizenship?

not much - a subject of the government that owns the land you live on, determines if you are a legal citizen or an illegal (determined by said government).

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am What makes a good citizen?
Good personal conduct, and participation and value in - of being a "larger part" - i,e, not an island, but part of the greater whole - nieghborhood/ciy/state/nation/etc.

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am How does one become a citizen? A good citizen?
see above.
that is how.
commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Are there common characteristics that must be shared among citizens?

no, per citizens.

yes, per good citizens.
commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Is the social fabric of the community malleable?

sure

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Are there events in history that are understood by all good citizens?
yes, but not enough - ignorance of history (which has been rife for 40 yrs now - lowers potential for wisdom (among those with potoental to be wise, but are ignorant of history and so are not wise, not knowing of it in order to become wise) lowers "horse sense" and allows "all to go to shit" in societies made of if ignorant hayseeds), and resulted in the election of Trump and Hitler.

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am What is the economic status of an average citizen?

same as 1/4 century before - static for 25 yrs.

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Is there a need for a consensus of opinion amidst good citizens?
not sure.

prefer wisdom over majority opinion (some of which is from idiots, and so "taints" that opinion................and sometime so much as to make it worthless).
commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am From where do citizens draw their inspiration?

from all over - depends upon the citizen.

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Has there been a revision over time of what it means to be a good citizen?

don't know.

commonsense wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 am Is it important for citizens to live in geographical continuity?
not sure, but tend to "probably"
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Interesting post, Gaff. You seem to favor a communal view of citizenship, unlike Henry Q's individual-focused perspective. I'd conjecture that Hank prefers law and order over social programs and charitable handouts. On the other hand, I'd guess the opposite is true for you. In general terms, could I be getting it right?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I'd conjecture that Hank prefers law and order"

If you mean 'mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself' as law; if you mean the order that arises from leavin' folks be, then absolutely.

#

"social programs"

Fuck that noise.

#

"charitable handouts"

Got nuthin' against charity when I'm the one choosing to be charitable.
commonsense

Re:

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:58 pm "I'd conjecture that Hank prefers law and order"

If you mean 'mind your own business, keep your hands to yourself' as law; if you mean the order that arises from leavin' folks be, then absolutely.

#

"social programs"

Fuck that noise.

#

"charitable handouts"

Got nuthin' against charity when I'm the one choosing to be charitable.
You've captured what I meant quite well. "Charitable handouts" was a poor choice of words; I really meant government handouts from fucked up social programs.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Common,

I'm gonna open a new thread about Golgotha (assuming Amod approves of my suggested sub-forum).

Whatever happens in the (new) thread is all your fault... ;)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Obey the Law or argue your case in court, pay your taxes, assist another citizen in distress.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:55 am Common,

I'm gonna open a new thread about Golgotha (assuming Amod approves of my suggested sub-forum).

Whatever happens in the (new) thread is all your fault... ;)
Sounds good to me.