The Purpose of Philosophy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Re: The Purpose of Philosophy

Post by Nick_A »

So the bottom line is that those like Lacewing and FDp represent the secular mind which by definition is closed to the concept of the eternal unchanging described by Plato as the Good and Plotinus as the ONE. Only partial truths and opinions exist for secularism. Contemplation and the philosophical participation in dialogues with the goal of opening the mind to knowledge and the source of opinions must be eliminated in favor of arguing partial opinions. It must be shouted down especially in modern secular progressive education to ensure that young minds are indoctrinated into the service of the Great Beast residing in Plato's cave as the ultimate expression of human meaning and purpose. Which is worse: physical child abuse or spiritual child abuse? How many "authorities" in secular progressive education even know the difference? If they did, the effort to destroy the essential purpose of philosophy wouldn't exist.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:13 pm How does anyone still have the energy to bother reading what Nick writes? All he's ever done is advertise his abundant self pity in conflict with a sense of extraordinary unearned superiority, all smothered under a thick sauce of psychosexual red warning lights.
Good description. Yes, I know. And I'm ready for a break. Sometimes I'm entertained by exploring ways to poke holes in his bubble world -- while hoping that the exercise illuminates for anyone who is interested, including myself, how incredibly thick someone (as demonstrated by Nick) can be in their stuff -- and the power of desperation for maintaining their controlled blindness despite all other truth. It's a fascinating display/exercise (to me, at times) of what any of us might be capable of on some level in our own ways of thinking. In this way I see Nick as performing a service. :)

Sometimes I dream the impossible, and actually hope that he might see something new from these exchanges -- he has at times seemed to, briefly. Until, like a sea crab, he darts back into his shell, only to emerge spouting the same stories that he's addicted to. Maybe I'm like an alligator fish, snapping at his overly bloated flesh. It's sort of how I play with most of the people on this site, I guess. There doesn't seem to be much worth taking seriously. It's like an intense hands-on class on human nature and potential, and I discover/explore more about myself in the process.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:38 pm Sometimes I'm entertained by exploring ways to poke holes in his bubble world -- while hoping that the exercise illuminates for anyone who is interested, including myself, how incredibly thick someone (as demonstrated by Nick) can be in their stuff -- and the power of desperation for maintaining their controlled blindness despite all other truth.
I suppose I am guilty of lots of that myself. Apropos of nothing, where is is Bob these days? Did he get another ban while I wasn't looking?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:18 pm Apropos of nothing, where is is Bob these days? Did he get another ban while I wasn't looking?
I've wondered that. Maybe he moved on to new territory where he could think of himself as unique again... as there's no shortage here of self-anointed and appointed messengers of "supreme and ultimate truth".
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:18 pm
Lacewing wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:38 pm Sometimes I'm entertained by exploring ways to poke holes in his bubble world -- while hoping that the exercise illuminates for anyone who is interested, including myself, how incredibly thick someone (as demonstrated by Nick) can be in their stuff -- and the power of desperation for maintaining their controlled blindness despite all other truth.
I suppose I am guilty of lots of that myself. Apropos of nothing, where is is Bob these days? Did he get another ban while I wasn't looking?
I haven't been banned yet because Greta isn't here and the mods don't seem to have the same hatred for the purpose of philosophy.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:55 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:18 pm Apropos of nothing, where is is Bob these days? Did he get another ban while I wasn't looking?
I've wondered that. Maybe he moved on to new territory where he could think of himself as unique again... as there's no shortage here of self-anointed and appointed messengers of "supreme and ultimate truth".
It is only in modern times in which secularism has become openly dominant that the destruction of eros in the young is openly celebrated in favor of cursing out Trump and the creation of indoctrinated mindless soulless snowflakes.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:28 pm
I haven't been banned yet because Greta isn't here and the mods don't seem to have the same hatred for the purpose of philosophy.
Oh look, in one short sentence you pitied yourself and exalted yourself. Now you should write something about how you use logic to separate ladies from their panties for the trifecta.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm You suggest another motive in addition to the benefits of self importance [sic] and humility. What is it?
Self-esteem, self-justification, self-importance and humility
Transforming view of world and broadening intellectual horizons
Understanding fundamental and important issues
Understanding concepts of right and wrong
Developing critical thinking skills, communication skills and organizational skills
Improving ability to analyze arguments, identify key principles, solve problems and reach sound decisions
Improving persuasive powers and rational argumentation
Preparing for LSAT and other graduate level achievement tests
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm
Nick_A wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:28 pm
Oh look, in one short sentence you pitied yourself and exalted yourself. Now you should write something about how you use logic to separate ladies from their panties for the trifecta.
It isn't a matter of self pity. It doesn't concern me. The value and purpose of the essence of philosophy serving the human need for objective meaning is the question. Secularism asserts that there is no objective meaning so this need should be satisfied through proper education offered by exponents of the Great Beast. Those who support the essence and purpose of philosophy know that objective meaning originates with the ONE or Plato's GOOD.

Naturally secularism must oppose this essential need to experience objective meaning since accepting its existence negates the dominance of secularism and opens the mind and heart to what the essence of philosophy and religion seek to awaken us to.

No need to pity me. I know the score and what secularism must do to survive. I just feel sorry for the young who are not yet dead inside but their inner lives are seriously being threatened by secular progressive education. No need to pity me. Feel sorry for the young ones enduring a slow spiritual death by experts in the skill of spirit killing
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:24 am
Nick_A wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:39 pm You suggest another motive in addition to the benefits of self importance [sic] and humility. What is it?
Developing critical thinking skills, communication skills and organizational skills
Improving ability to analyze arguments, identify key principles, solve problems and reach sound decisions
Every thing you've mentioned serves your ego - your self importance. Can you think of anything that doesn't either serve your self esteem or humility?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:53 am
Every thing you've mentioned serves your ego - your self importance. Can you think of anything that doesn't either serve your self esteem or humility?
If Set N contains N-1, N-2, N-3...N-N, it does not follow necessarily that N = N-1 = N-2 = N-3... = N-N. You should study logic, a basic element of philosophy. Without logic, you cannot posit a cogent or convincing argument. Got it?
Last edited by commonsense on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 am
Nick_A wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:53 am
If Set N contains N-1, N-2, N-3...N-N, it does not follow necessarily that N = N-1 = N-2 = N-3... = N-N. You should study logic, a basic element of philosophy. Without logic, you cannot posit a cogent or convincing argument. Get it?
So in other words, you cannot think of anything concerning your personal psychology that does not serve either your humility or self esteem. Fair enough.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Exactly so?

This problem should help explain:

Let Set “your ego - your self importance” [sic] contain the following members:

Self-esteem
self-justification
self-importance and humility

Problem: find the member of Set “your ego - your self importance” [sic] that is identical to “your ego - your self importance” [sic].

Answer:
a) self-importance and humility minus and humility
b) self-importance and humility minus and and minus humility
c) say good night Gracie
d) there is no possible answer
e) all of the above
f) a) and b) but not c) thru e)
g) only a) and only b)
h) only a) and b)

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:32 am So in other words, you cannot think of anything concerning your personal psychology that does not serve either your humility or self esteem. Fair enough.
No, you don't get it. You really should study logic.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 am __________________________________________________________________

Exactly so?

This problem should help explain:

Let Set “your ego - your self importance” [sic] contain the following members:

Self-esteem
self-justification
self-importance and humility

Problem: find the member of Set “your ego - your self importance” [sic] that is identical to “your ego - your self importance” [sic].

Answer:
a) self-importance and humility minus and humility
b) self-importance and humility minus and and minus humility
c) say good night Gracie
d) there is no possible answer
e) all of the above
f) a) and b) but not c) thru e)
g) only a) and only b)
h) only a) and b)
Set refers to the whole or ego in this case. Ego or the opinion of yourself is made up of many variables. One variable is not identical with your ego. In fact the whole is more than the sum of its parts. You are right. I don't get it.