What is love?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: What is love?

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:48 am "everything has a purpose"
Every movement of your body has a purpose. When your mind is at peace, the purpose of each movement is apparent, from scratching your nose, to living up to one's expectations of oneself (or not).
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:43 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:48 am "everything has a purpose"
Every movement of your body has a purpose. When your mind is at peace, the purpose of each movement is apparent, from scratching your nose, to living up to one's expectations of oneself (or not).
Well, that's not always the case, something like tardive dyskinesia doesn't, however, I'll grant you that most other movements seem to.

So what is the purpose of "conflict"? I may scratch my nose in order to relieve an itch which is perhaps caused by the presence of a material on my body that is possibly detrimental to me if left there. But I don't create conflict in order to learn something. Conflict arises when my desires aren't easily attainable. Whether it has a purpose or not hinges on whether there is some being out there that created it specifically in order to achieve some goal.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:43 pm Every movement of your body has a purpose.
Unless your body is playing golf, of course. :wink:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:04 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:43 pm Every movement of your body has a purpose.
That's definitely true. I tried a few times to play when I was younger and didn't have much idea where the ball would end up. All those fidgets and uncoordinated movements of my arms as I swung didn't seem to serve the purpose of getting the ball to where I wanted it until I got a little more accustomed to it, then I could at least manage to intentionally hit a ball roughly in any of four cardinal directions, front, left, right, or backward.

I mean, I can see where practice helps one in better-coordinating movements. Of course, killing myself with the golf club on one of the first few tries would kind of put an end to the practice part and defeat the whole thing. As you say, it seems a shame that this "Indian brave" drowned for the sake of falling madly in love with someone. If it served a "purpose" then the only "purpose" it served was to instruct the survivors on what not to do. Again, I assume if it had a purpose, then it would imply some sort of conscious being having that "purpose". And if not a "god" or "spirit" or whatever, then unless the other Indians in the tribe deliberately sent him to test whether or not it was possible to swim to the other side, then I'd say there was no "purpose" at all to the incident.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

More so when you are playing golf though, as it would be par for the course, of course. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:41 pm That's definitely true. I tried a few times to play when I was younger and didn't have much idea where the ball would end up. All those fidgets and uncoordinated movements of my arms as I swung didn't seem to serve the purpose of getting the ball to where I wanted it until I got a little more accustomed to it, then I could at least manage to intentionally hit a ball roughly in any of four cardinal directions, front, left, right, or backward
My only experience of golf was when my brother-in-law thought I would enjoy a session on a driving range, and I was too polite to say I hated the idea. They gave me a bucket full of balls and a special stick to hit them with. I whacked a few balls into a field until my fear of a dislocated shoulder cured my politeness. There was a tractor with a metal cage around tha cab, which was driving around the field scooping up all the golf balls. I assumed the object of the exercise was to hit the tractor, but found out later that it wasn't, which then left me wondering what other possible reason there could have been for hitting the balls into the field. :?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:05 pm
More so when you are playing golf though, as it would be par for the course, of course. :wink:
My sour, thorny pessimistic virtual soul mate, is that a pickup line aimed at Harbal? If so, then I wish you luck. He is probably a much better catch than I am. Save yourself, dear! :mrgreen:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:24 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:41 pm That's definitely true. I tried a few times to play when I was younger and didn't have much idea where the ball would end up. All those fidgets and uncoordinated movements of my arms as I swung didn't seem to serve the purpose of getting the ball to where I wanted it until I got a little more accustomed to it, then I could at least manage to intentionally hit a ball roughly in any of four cardinal directions, front, left, right, or backward
My only experience of golf was when my brother-in-law thought I would enjoy a session on a driving range, and I was too polite to say I hated the idea. They gave me a bucket full of balls and a special stick to hit them with. I whacked a few balls into a field until my fear of a dislocated shoulder cured my politeness. There was a tractor with a metal cage around tha cab, which was driving around the field scooping up all the golf balls. I assumed the object of the exercise was to hit the tractor, but found out later that it wasn't, which then left me wondering what other possible reason there could have been for hitting the balls into the field. :?
Sounds like a natural misunderstanding to me. You and golf probably go together like me and theism. :mrgreen:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:05 pm More so when you are playing golf though, as it would be par for the course, of course. :wink:
From what I can gather, golf is a game for handicapped people. Particularly the mentally handicapped.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:30 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:05 pm More so when you are playing golf though, as it would be par for the course, of course. :wink:
From what I can gather, golf is a game for handicapped people. Particularly the mentally handicapped.
:lol: Even if it were the case that my virtual soul mate online should find you unattractive, I have to say, I can see why other men would find you attractive, Platonically at least. :D
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:28 pm
My sour, thorny pessimistic virtual soul mate, is that a pickup line aimed at Harbal? If so, then I wish you luck. He is probably a much better catch than I am. Save yourself, dear! :mrgreen:
Huh! what does that comment even mean exactly? :? :?:

Could you explain, thanks.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm
:lol: Even if it were the case that my virtual soul mate online should find you unattractive, I have to say, I can see why other men would find you attractive, Platonically at least. :D
This is not making any sense, please could you clarify what you are talking about?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm

This is not making any sense, please could you clarify what you are talking about?
Sorry, just nonsense, making light of things, joking, and playing around like some of the others here. I apologize if I may have interrupted anything important.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:24 pm I assumed the object of the exercise was to hit the tractor, but found out later that it wasn't, which then left me wondering what other possible reason there could have been for hitting the balls into the field. :?
:lol: Ah! Now see THAT might offer me some fun in playing golf: aiming at visibly moving targets! Nah... not even that is enough to make me want to play either.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm :lol: Even if it were the case that my virtual soul mate online should find you unattractive, I have to say, I can see why other men would find you attractive, Platonically at least. :D
Horny men make no sense.