What is love?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: What is love?

Post by Gary Childress »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:36 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:27 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:42 pm :lol: Even if it were the case that my virtual soul mate online should find you unattractive, I have to say, I can see why other men would find you attractive, Platonically at least. :D
This is not making any sense, please could you clarify what you are talking about?
Horny men make no sense.
:lol: only when we're horny.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Seriously, though. I'm just playing around. I'm not really horny right now. Just shooting the breeze. When a guy doesn't have a mate, at least he can make believe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

_
Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies

-Aristotle
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

MagsJ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:19 pm _
Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies

-Aristotle
Or maybe it's two souls inhabiting one body. I need mini-me! :mrgreen:

Sorry, humor is all I have that's keeping me reasonably sane at this point.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

agape, paternal and maternal 'love' is the sublimated instinct to protect and want to be protected that underlies social behavior. that instinct is developed necessarily becuz of how long it takes to raise childrens.  erotic love is like what N called the spiritualization of sex and sensuality. al pacino said love is biochemically no different than consuming large quantities of chocolate.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Baby don't hurt me.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

nice
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:02 pm
MagsJ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:19 pm Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies

-Aristotle
Or maybe it's two souls inhabiting one body. I need mini-me! :mrgreen:
..a beautiful thought/a thing. 🥰
Sorry, humor is all I have that's keeping me reasonably sane at this point.
I ain’t judging.. I’m sure Bae is out there, for you.
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:21 pm Baby don't hurt me.
That was my first thought for a reply, but I evaded going there/saying that. :lol:
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I don't have the scruples you do, clearly
MagsJ

Post by MagsJ »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:55 pm I don't have the scruples you do, clearly
ROFL!

.I didn’t say that I wasn’t sorely tempted tho..🤭
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:24 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:41 pm That's definitely true. I tried a few times to play when I was younger and didn't have much idea where the ball would end up. All those fidgets and uncoordinated movements of my arms as I swung didn't seem to serve the purpose of getting the ball to where I wanted it until I got a little more accustomed to it, then I could at least manage to intentionally hit a ball roughly in any of four cardinal directions, front, left, right, or backward
My only experience of golf was when my brother-in-law thought I would enjoy a session on a driving range, and I was too polite to say I hated the idea. They gave me a bucket full of balls and a special stick to hit them with. I whacked a few balls into a field until my fear of a dislocated shoulder cured my politeness. There was a tractor with a metal cage around tha cab, which was driving around the field scooping up all the golf balls. I assumed the object of the exercise was to hit the tractor, but found out later that it wasn't, which then left me wondering what other possible reason there could have been for hitting the balls into the field. :?
Harbal, that’s horrible. That is not how to take it higher. Any slob off the street or artist can wonder, however this is philosophy country. Philosophers are distiguished by their ability to conclude.

This is how to do it, which coincidentally, is how the denizens around the Lake greeted one another. How.

As Wonder tells us, from the beginning time has known to move on. Eventually the tribes moved on from Lake Stupid and were replaced by other tribes. Redheads, yellowheads, brownheads, even whiteheads and blackheads, in addition to atheists, theists, and all the other tribes of “IST” who replaced the redskins. The same events repeat themselves with different players. Redheads now sometimes traveled across the big pond with hopes of joining a soulmate living in another tribe, in nirvana.

Time has not moved on far enough to change the climate so The Lake remains and the legend of The Brave has not only grown grander in these modern times, it has been absorbed into the DNA of all humans and become a primary characteristic that gets activated by secondary conditions such as the luxuries of tolerance, diversity, and worldwide trust. There is a debate whether the legend of The Lake caused what happened next, or whether the legend has persisted by mirroring a human tendency, a tendency that has become a critical factor in the ordering of purpose and action.

That tendency that has become inherent and gets activated by secondary conditions is called The Pilgrimage. Folks have an inherent tendency to travel in order to pay homage. This is an act of reverence and to make that a happy time the journey becomes a celebration. The object of homage, varies. Popular Pilgrimage sites are of course the old ones of religion. New Pilgrimage sites pay homage to the new objects of reverence. Some of these sites are Las Vegas, Disney World, Davos, national parks, Apple Stores, Burning Man, Cherry Blossoms in DC, Battery Land, and so on. Due to the worship gene, most anything can become an object of reverence. In this sense people are like ducklings and will follow most any mother … as their leader.

Like Virtual Reality (VR), and unlike pilgrimages of olden days, virtual homages require relatively little physical movement, if any. One easy access to the Lake Stupid portal from whence the journey launches is Doublethink, and true to its name one must be sophisticated in order to practice Doublethink.

As you can doubtlessly imagine, because of the negative connonations associated with its translated name, Lake Stupid also has many other names. Other translations. These are easily accepted because those who pay homage to The Lake do so with the irony required to live a sophisticated life in Bizarro World without borders.
Last edited by Walker on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:21 pm Baby don't hurt me.
For ego inflating that's second only to, ouch!
Walker

Post by Walker »

What are some popular celebrations and events at The Lake, when the Lake has become a Pilgrimage Endpoint?

1. The race across the lake.
2. Watching Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf to witness, Ouch.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:56 pm
Walker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:43 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:48 am "everything has a purpose"
Every movement of your body has a purpose. When your mind is at peace, the purpose of each movement is apparent, from scratching your nose, to living up to one's expectations of oneself (or not).
Well, that's not always the case, something like tardive dyskinesia doesn't, however, I'll grant you that most other movements seem to.
Yes, it is the case. Everything, including every movement you make, has a purpose. What is not always the case is you knowing the purpose.

The consistent practice of still mind and body makes this as obvious as the sky and the earth.

Funny, you have not asked the name of The Brave.