"Others-have-it-worse-than-you"-fallacy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skip

Re: "Others-have-it-worse-than-you"-fallacy

Post by Skip »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 pm The explanation is a bit reminiscent (or the other way around) of the Shakespearean adage, "The child is father to the man."
No, that just means that people don't change their basic character, but what happens in childhood influences what will be in adulthood; that you can see in a child's behaviour what kind of adult he will become if he has good guidance and what kind, if he has bad guidance.

What I mean is that, everyt successful person has had some help from other people, and that he ought to give credit.

I don't think Clinton-bashing is particularly relevant here.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Skip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 pm
-1- wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 pm The explanation is a bit reminiscent (or the other way around) of the Shakespearean adage, "The child is father to the man."
No, that just means that people don't change their basic character, but what happens in childhood influences what will be in adulthood; that you can see in a child's behaviour what kind of adult he will become if he has good guidance and what kind, if he has bad guidance.

What I mean is that, everyt successful person has had some help from other people, and that he ought to give credit.

I don't think Clinton-bashing is particularly relevant here.
The similarity lies in the fact that there is a source support, and there is excess output which one can turn into source support for future start-ups (in whatever endeavour). So the gift is given, and is not returned, but gifting is given again to strangers (or offspring) without an expectation of return.

The child is father to the man is another gifting... shaping the future from the present. The father can't shape the child (since it's himself)... he is gifted by his earlier self, but he can't return the favour.

It's not all that obvious, but it's there.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Skip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 pm I don't think Clinton-bashing is particularly relevant here.
I don't bash the Clintons. He is fine with me, he was an okay prez. He was okay because he did not send troops to raze far-away cultures to rabble, like that EVIL INCARNATE WAR CRIMINAL WITH CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY, GEORGE W BUSH on drummed up, false reasons. Prez Clinton did cheat on his wife, which I condone because she is a witch in my opinion. I patently can't stand her. She allowed Trump's presidency, by standing in the way of Bernie Sanders's becoming the party nominee. THAT"s the sin I can't forgive her. She bought the electorate votes, with hard cold cash, she did not win the nomination on merit. I hate her.

I don't think there is any conspiracy theory in this opinion.

I strictly stay away from politics and politicizing, because politics is even dirtier than show biz. And there are real assholes in show biz. Just despicable little bottom-feeding scum.
Skip

Post by Skip »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 pm
The similarity lies in the fact that there is a source support, and there is excess output which one can turn into source support for future start-ups (in whatever endeavour). So the gift is given, and is not returned, but gifting is given again to strangers (or offspring) without an expectation of return.
Yeah, that, too: paying it forward.
But also, acknowledging that we are social animals with a long maturation period and a high degree of interdependence. You can only get out of a community or society what its members contribute. If more of them take more than they give, the society, the nation, the empire, the entire civilization will decline and die.
I don't bash the Clintons.
No, Walker does. Without apparent apropos.
He was an okay president
Actually, quite a good one, in several ways, including financial management, which the Republican's could not countenance.

(....rabble....rubble, ruble....oh, those pesky vowels! )
-1-

Post by -1- »

Skip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:42 pm
He (Mr. Clinton) was an okay president
Actually, quite a good one, in several ways, including financial management, which the Republican's could not countenance.

(....rabble....rubble, ruble....oh, those pesky vowels! )
Maybe that's why he set up the fund or whatever... he is good at finances. All finances start with a good, solid, personal finance background. Dollar in, dollar out, no two ways about that. Maybe his parents gave him one dollar for a week's worth of cafeteria food, and told him to spend it wisely. I don't know.

I think countenance means "face" only in the noun sense... it can't be used as a verb, much unlike "face" can.

And the plural of Republicans is written without the grocer's comma.

I'd rather die first than correct a native speaker's English, but entre nous it's okay, I hope.
Skip

Post by Skip »

-1- wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 pm
I think countenance means "face" only in the noun sense... it can't be used as a verb, much unlike "face" can.
verb
verb: countenance; 3rd person present: countenances; past tense: countenanced; past participle: countenanced; gerund or present participle: countenancing

admit as acceptable or possible.
"he was reluctant to countenance the use of force"
synonyms: tolerate, permit, allow, agree to, consent to, give one's blessing to, go along with, hold with, put up with, endure, stomach, swallow, stand for; formalbrook
"he would not countenance the use of force"
And the plural of Republicans is written without the grocer's comma.
typographical error: I was concentrating on the avoidance of "repugs"
I'd rather die first than correct a native speaker's English,
Really? Seems a trivial kind of suicide.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Skip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:14 pm
-1- wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 pm
I'd rather die first than correct a native speaker's English,
Really? Seems a trivial kind of suicide.
A: Re: countenance, verb: I stand corrected. I was wrong.

B: Suicide for the stated reason: redundant. If I don't, they will kill me. (So to speak. Both suicide and killing are figurative hyperboles.)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Well, I'll just say that I only have my awareness, not anyone else's. So I must base my view of the world on, well, my view. So whilst some have it worse or better, all that matters is how I have it.

Fairly straight forward.

(Hello to all, btw.)