Know-how, is it worthy of getting in total?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Troll

Know-how, is it worthy of getting in total?

Post by Troll »

Is it better to know how, than not to know how, in all things? If we assume that those who can speak a language know that language, or, what is the same, know how to speak it, or the behavior that is that speaking, that there are languages, and that they are known by the speakers, do we have, thereby a model that can go for all knowing? Fixing engines, managing large companies, teaching students the theories of Milton Friedman and how to play the music of Stockhausen? And also how to play the flute, and the subject matter of the field of gender fluidity studies? And in addition how to cut hair in the way licensed stylists do. If in each case we have a know how, is it best to know as many things as can be? Indeed, even to know in the superlative fulsomeness of a total knowing of all arts and know-hows, and subject matters?
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Know-how, is it worthy of getting in total?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Troll wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 pm Is it better to know how, than not to know how, in all things? If we assume that those who can speak a language know that language, or, what is the same, know how to speak it, or the behavior that is that speaking, that there are languages, and that they are known by the speakers, do we have, thereby a model that can go for all knowing? Fixing engines, managing large companies, teaching students the theories of Milton Friedman and how to play the music of Stockhausen? And also how to play the flute, and the subject matter of the field of gender fluidity studies? And in addition how to cut hair in the way licensed stylists do. If in each case we have a know how, is it best to know as many things as can be? Indeed, even to know in the superlative fulsomeness of a total knowing of all arts and know-hows, and subject matters?
If your goal is to be a know-it-all, I would answer yes. However once you go through that door, you can't go back. I have an excellent model in my field, but it means being alone in that respect and there is a great danger with it.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 am
Troll wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 pm Is it better to know how, than not to know how, in all things? If we assume that those who can speak a language know that language, or, what is the same, know how to speak it, or the behavior that is that speaking, that there are languages, and that they are known by the speakers, do we have, thereby a model that can go for all knowing? Fixing engines, managing large companies, teaching students the theories of Milton Friedman and how to play the music of Stockhausen? And also how to play the flute, and the subject matter of the field of gender fluidity studies? And in addition how to cut hair in the way licensed stylists do. If in each case we have a know how, is it best to know as many things as can be? Indeed, even to know in the superlative fulsomeness of a total knowing of all arts and know-hows, and subject matters?
If your goal is to be a know-it-all, I would answer yes. However once you go through that door, you can't go back. I have an excellent model in my field, but it means being alone in that respect and there is a great danger with it.

🇺🇸PhilX🇺🇸
PX is right. Also, if you mean, "On the whole, is it worthy of getting know-how?", than you would be a know-a few-things instead of a know-it-all. I would still say that it is not worth your time. More important is to know how to find the know-how when you need it. Otherwise, there are just too many things to remember and you will have gone through that door and you would be alone.
Troll

Post by Troll »

"If your goal is to be a know-it-all, I would answer yes."
Doesn't that amount to dodging the question? Instead of putting questions to ourselves we provide formulas about an imaginary "subject" or "individual". This is a general problem given the assumed or de facto existentialist reasoning we all swim in.