Human Intelligence

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Nick_A

Human Intelligence

Post by Nick_A »

How do you define human intelligence? What is it and how is it measured. Here is a typical explanation of intelligence. Is it sufficient for your or do you sense something is missing? Here is the opening pargraph.

https://www.britannica.com/science/huma ... psychology
Human intelligence, mental quality that consists of the abilities to learn from experience, adapt to new situations, understand and handle abstract concepts, and use knowledge to manipulate one’s environment.
HexHammer

Re: Human Intelligence

Post by HexHammer »

I define it by:
- above all high rationale!
- experience (not always necessary if highly intelligent)
- knowledge
- right kind of philosophical principles
- thinking hollistical
- thinking critical
- thinking logistically
- understanding the concept of relevance
..etc.

Too many impose arbitrary limits and grab their silly conclusions out of thin air, jumping to conclusions etc etc, so even highly intelligent people can't do very basic lawsuits.

In school we only learn to make overly simplistic conclusions "hat did the author mean by this and that", there's not any word by word nitpicking interpretation, thereby enabling students to do lawsuits.

They never understand systems, conjunctions between greater things, but only learn to calculate individually things.

We are at max 1% efficiency in our society.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Hex Hammer, you’ve provided characteristics necessary for human intelligence but what if there are more that we are normally closed to?
We know by means of our intelligence that what the intelligence does not comprehend is more real than what it does comprehend. ~ Simone Weil
What if she is right and a person can come to experience that the more we know, the more we see that we don’t know? If this is true, what then is human intelligence.

I’ve come to believe that it is entirely reasonable to accept that Plato’s divided line analogy as representative of the truth of universal structure.

Plato’s divided line divides the universe into two basic parts: the visible realm and the domain or our senses which enables us to form opinions as to the question of meaning, and the intellectual realm above the line which is the realm of objective knowledge we cannot experience with our senses.

Above the line we have the potential for noesis through impartial dianoia

noesis (immediate intuition, apprehension, or mental 'seeing' of principles)
dianoia (discursive thought)

Below the line our intelligence

pistis (belief or confidence)
eikasia (delusion or sheer conjecture)

My gut feeling is that human intelligence is declining since we are becoming closed to opening to the realm of knowledge since opinions and fantasy have become much more satisfying.

Human intelligence as I understand it can only be defined as the conscious unification of the experience objective knowledge and how it devolves into the realm of opinion. All else can only be partial truths. How many are willing to admit their lack of intelligence or as Socrates said: “I know nothing?”

Simone Weil describes what the realm of opinions must do for the sake of the wholeness of truth as opposed to self justification. This is very true as it relates to religion. The sacred ideas become devolved in society and become a part of the lower parts of the soul and lost in the realm of opinions. The intelligent seeker of truth must be willing to sacrifice opinions for the sake of the authentic religious experience.
The rôle of the intelligence—that part of us which affirms and denies and formulates opinions—is merely to submit. All that I conceive of as true is less true than those things of which I cannot conceive the truth, but which I love. Saint John of the Cross calls faith a night. With those who have had a Christian education, the lower parts of the soul become attached to these mysteries when they have no right to do so. That is why such people need a purification of which Saint John of the Cross describes the stages. Atheism and incredulity constitute an equivalent of this purification. Simone Weil
So which is more intelligent: the person who admits that regardless of what they know, “I know nothing” or the experts who impress people with their opinions as to human meaning and purpose?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Nick_A wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 amHex Hammer, you’ve provided characteristics necessary for human intelligence but what if there are more that we are normally closed to?
Specify question please, doesn't make sense!
We know by means of our intelligence that what the intelligence does not comprehend is more real than what it does comprehend. ~ Simone Weil
This is pure nonsense and babble, sounds VERY philosophically to the average person, but to people with high rationale it's garbage!
What if she is right and a person can come to experience that the more we know, the more we see that we don’t know? If this is true, what then is human intelligence.
Just because I lack knowledge of how to fly an aeroplane, or do surgery, then what I already know won't be diminished, it's hysterical navel gazing!
I’ve come to believe that it is entirely reasonable to accept that Plato’s divided line analogy as representative of the truth of universal structure.

Plato’s divided line divides the universe into two basic parts: the visible realm and the domain or our senses which enables us to form opinions as to the question of meaning, and the intellectual realm above the line which is the realm of objective knowledge we cannot experience with our senses.

Above the line we have the potential for noesis through impartial dianoia
[..]
I really cry inside when people believe in such blatant nonsense, then it's proof of them not understanding the concept of relevance, but see things individually and thus can't think holistically.
People needs to trash this outdated garbage because that's how people with savant syndrome views the world, and they lack basic rationality.
Human intelligence as I understand it can only be defined as the conscious unification of the experience objective knowledge and how it devolves into the realm of opinion. All else can only be partial truths. How many are willing to admit their lack of intelligence or as Socrates said: “I know nothing?”
Computers has now passed Turing Tests of a teen I think it's now about 15 or higher, and can do secretary work, can order reservations at restaurants etc.

Machines doesn't have consciousness, so your proposition is flawed.

"objective knowledge/truth" is an imaginary carrot only cozy chatters will chase. I see each week science articles be rewritten, either because new findings contradicts the old, or there has been fraud etc, least 40% of all science articles contains in various degree errors to great errors.
This is why we still spend billions around the world on researching the same things over and over.
Simone Weil describes what the realm of opinions must do for the sake of the wholeness of truth as opposed to self justification. This is very true as it relates to religion. The sacred ideas become devolved in society and become a part of the lower parts of the soul and lost in the realm of opinions. The intelligent seeker of truth must be willing to sacrifice opinions for the sake of the authentic religious experience.
Incoherent babble and circular reasoning, pure garbage!
The rôle of the intelligence—that part of us which affirms and denies and formulates opinions—is merely to submit. All that I conceive of as true is less true than those things of which I cannot conceive the truth, but which I love. Saint John of the Cross calls faith a night. With those who have had a Christian education, the lower parts of the soul become attached to these mysteries when they have no right to do so. That is why such people need a purification of which Saint John of the Cross describes the stages. Atheism and incredulity constitute an equivalent of this purification. Simone Weil
Ditto.
So which is more intelligent: the person who admits that regardless of what they know, “I know nothing” or the experts who impress people with their opinions as to human meaning and purpose?
/facepalm! ..the intelligent is the more intelligent, than the person who only have self reflection and are modest and humble enough to admit own ignorance.

Who do you want to do surgery on you, the ignorant or the highly educated surgeon? You would ofc as a good phi ..eh cozy chatter, choose the glaring ignorant that says "I know nothing".

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by HexHammer on Tue May 29, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Hex Hammer

I appreciate your honesty. Unfortunately for the young your opinion is all too dominant in institutions of child abuse called schools and often result in spirit killing and metaphysical repression justified in modern society as education.

Who do you want to do surgery on you, the ignorant or the highly educated surgeon? You would ofc as a good phi ..eh cozy chatter, choose the glaring ignorant that says "I know nothing".
The choice you offer simply doesn't have to exist. There is no reason why a highly educated surgeon can't admit that in matters of objective human meaning and purpose he knows nothing. Such a person will have demonstrated human intelligence. They will have respected the complimentary relationship between science and the essence of religion. Such people are rare and modern education is doing its best to destroy the potential in the young making such people even more rare in the future. The collective result must have the lawful effect of diminishing human intelligence.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Nick_A wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:25 pmI appreciate your honesty. Unfortunately for the young your opinion is all too dominant in institutions of child abuse called schools and often result in spirit killing and metaphysical repression justified in modern society as education.
Out in the real world people die due to complete incompetent well meaning people doing very important work, but they fail to understand that they are the problem and should find another job, because they simply don't have the required skills or competence. Empires falls and big business close.

If they actually had the simple self reflection skills and humbleness to admit that they are unsuited to do what they love to do, then humanity would move forward, so what point is it to say "I know nothing" when what they really should say, "do I have the required skill to do what I love to do, and if no, then I should do something else"!!!
The choice you offer simply doesn't have to exist. There is no reason why a highly educated surgeon can't admit that in matters of objective human meaning and purpose he knows nothing. Such a person will have demonstrated human intelligence. They will have respected the complimentary relationship between science and the essence of religion. Such people are rare and modern education is doing its best to destroy the potential in the young making such people even more rare in the future. The collective result must have the lawful effect of diminishing human intelligence.
Thereby you defeat your own point.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Nick_A wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 am How do you define human intelligence? What is it and how is it measured. Here is a typical explanation of intelligence. Is it sufficient for your or do you sense something is missing? Here is the opening pargraph.

Human intelligence, mental quality that consists of the abilities to learn from experience, adapt to new situations, understand and handle abstract concepts, and use knowledge to manipulate one’s environment.
Ability to act and create based on experience.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

bahman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 am
Nick_A wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 am How do you define human intelligence? What is it and how is it measured. Here is a typical explanation of intelligence. Is it sufficient for your or do you sense something is missing? Here is the opening pargraph.

Ability to act and create based on experience.
Doesn't a lion have the same ability to act and create based on experience? If so, what separates human intelligence from animal intelligence?
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

bahman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 amAbility to act and create based on experience.
This describe retards too, so what's the difference between retards and highly intelligent people?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

HexHammer wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 pm
Nick_A wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:25 pmI appreciate your honesty. Unfortunately for the young your opinion is all too dominant in institutions of child abuse called schools and often result in spirit killing and metaphysical repression justified in modern society as education.
Out in the real world people die due to complete incompetent well meaning people doing very important work, but they fail to understand that they are the problem and should find another job, because they simply don't have the required skills or competence. Empires falls and big business close.

If they actually had the simple self reflection skills and humbleness to admit that they are unsuited to do what they love to do, then humanity would move forward, so what point is it to say "I know nothing" when what they really should say, "do I have the required skill to do what I love to do, and if no, then I should do something else"!!!
Thereby you defeat your own point.
My point is that human intelligence is the result of knowledge of facts within a human perspective. We disagree as to what a human perspective is.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Nick_A wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 4:18 am[..]human intelligence is the result of knowledge of facts within a human perspective. We disagree as to what a human perspective is.
I beg to differ, we don't disagree on what human perspective is.

Humans can have "intuition" which bypasses the need of facts, besides many areas only offer theories, therefore your proposition is flawed.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick, I tend to agree with Hex on this one.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Please excuse my ignorance, but as I review the posts up 'til now, I don't see anything that is not already included under Sternberg's definition.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

commonsense wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pmPlease excuse my ignorance, but as I review the posts up 'til now, I don't see anything that is not already included under Sternberg's definition.
Laws of the Cozy Chatter!
- Thou shalt never read up on stuff and make an enlightened conclusion! Especially not all the laughable branches of science!
- Thou shalt make other hand feed you information and be satisfied with being under informed with potential flawed and biased information, from fellow cozy chatters.
- Thou must search for the Holy Grail! A nonexistent truth, and best an Objective Truth.
- even if all your truths are shot down and it's revealed that Thou art utterly incompetent, Thou must ignore it and continue till Judgement Day!
- Thou shalt dwell in outdated philosophy that has no relevance in modern society.
- Thou shalt ignore the wiseman and follow the fool that makes pretty poetic alluring truths.
- Thou shalt make unnecessary long posts instead of short sharp to the point posts.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:39 pm Please excuse my ignorance, but as I review the posts up 'til now, I don't see anything that is not already included under Sternberg's definition.
Most do agree with Hex concerning human intelligence. They don’t distinguish between human and social intelligence so naturally define human intelligence in relation to adapting to social trends.
Those who believe Plato offers a very necessary description of the human condition for seekers of truth believe that human as opposed to social intelligence refers to the awareness of our potential to heal the human condition and leave the confines of Plato’s cave. From this perspective Simone Weil describes the insufficiency of social intelligence.
"The difference between more or less intelligent men is like the difference between criminals condemned to life imprisonment in smaller or larger cells. The intelligent man who is proud of his intelligence is like a condemned man who is proud of his large cell." ~ Simone Weil
Social intelligence is necessary for a balanced personality able to adapt to and prosper within cave life. In contrast, human intelligence begins with the gradual awareness of the detrimental human condition as it exists within us. A person experiences that they have become slaves to imagination sustaining the human condition and social norms and seeks freedom from their attachments to the shadows on the wall. Social intelligence IMO is defined by the ability to adapt to the shadows while human intelligence is defined by freedom from attachments for the sake of experiencing what we are in relation to objective human and universal potential.