What age are we in?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Greta » Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 pm

Walker wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm
Many comedians say we’re in The Humorless Age.

They won’t even work college campuses anymore.
That used to be a venue for edgy comics.

Too much PC these days.
Yes, with many audiences one dare not say anything about the military, the flag, gun laws, climate change, abortions, euthanasia or capitalism.

The fact is that EVERYONE is quick to be offended and to play the outrage game, not just one side, a great example being the recent banning of words in the White House.

Dubious
Posts: 1906
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Dubious » Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 am

The age which will determine the future more than any other.

Walker
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Walker » Thu May 24, 2018 10:09 am

Greta wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 pm
Walker wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm
Many comedians say we’re in The Humorless Age.

They won’t even work college campuses anymore.
That used to be a venue for edgy comics.

Too much PC these days.
Yes, with many audiences one dare not say anything about the military, the flag, gun laws, climate change, abortions, euthanasia or capitalism.

The fact is that EVERYONE is quick to be offended and to play the outrage game, not just one side, a great example being the recent banning of words in the White House.
It’s the Age of Spin.

Spin fits select facts into a narrative to support a preconception of how things should be, or should not be.

Philosophy sniffs out less restricted truth.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.”
- Dickens

HexHammer
Posts: 3007
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: What age are we in?

Post by HexHammer » Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 am

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 am
And it was Hillary whose lust for power oozed out of every pore while Trump didn't even seem to want to the job. That must have made her defeat even harder for her to take :lol:
Too true! That witch shall burn and all her fans shall be judged!

Walker
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Walker » Thu May 24, 2018 11:28 am

Greta wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 pm
Yes, with many audiences one dare not say anything about the military, the flag, gun laws, climate change, abortions, euthanasia or capitalism.

The fact is that EVERYONE is quick to be offended and to play the outrage game, not just one side, a great example being the recent banning of words in the White House.
Acceptable positions on campus that don’t require a safe zone: (and, there's no outrage in the pointing to what everyone knows.)

The military: against it.

The flag: a rag.

Gun laws: not enough of them if they don’t result in confiscation.

Climate change: alarmist is good, all else is bad.

Abortions: Yes, on demand.

Euthanasia: Yes.

Capitalism: No.

*

It's not too difficult to predict what a liberal will say about any current event cycling in the news.

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Greta » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 pm

Walker wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:28 am
Greta wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:13 pm
Yes, with many audiences one dare not say anything about the military, the flag, gun laws, climate change, abortions, euthanasia or capitalism.

The fact is that EVERYONE is quick to be offended and to play the outrage game, not just one side, a great example being the recent banning of words in the White House.
Acceptable positions on campus that don’t require a safe zone: (and, there's no outrage in the pointing to what everyone knows.)

The military: against it.

The flag: a rag.

Gun laws: not enough of them if they don’t result in confiscation.

Climate change: alarmist is good, all else is bad.

Abortions: Yes, on demand.

Euthanasia: Yes.

Capitalism: No.

*

It's not too difficult to predict what a liberal will say about any current event cycling in the news.
I originally posted a similar straw person list regarding Fox acolytes such as yourself.

However, I would rather just say what an utter dickhead you have been for turning what could have been an interesting chat about real things into another of your beloved cookie-cutter political debates.

I know your strategy now - you aim to kill all hated "progressives" through sheer boredom. Your beloved Nobel wannabe nominee Trump will be most impressed with you, I'm sure.

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 3628
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: right here

What age are we in?

Post by henry quirk » Fri May 25, 2018 12:29 am

Aquarius.









damn, the set-up on this was obvious

Walker
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Walker » Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 am

Greta wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 pm
I originally posted a similar straw person list regarding Fox acolytes such as yourself.

However, I would rather just say what an utter dickhead you have been for turning what could have been an interesting chat about real things into another of your beloved cookie-cutter political debates.

Straw man? Those are all issues you named, I wrote the liberal response to the issues you named, and I can assure you, I correctly stated the liberal position on each, thus injecting relevance and specificity into your generalization. You’ll find many real men who agree.

I don’t watch the Fox much, not for a good while, although I’ve seen it and suspect they may be watching me by some of the things I’ve heard.

Your disagreeable disagreement has caused you a loss of perspective. I wrote nothing untoward. Could be your irrational outrage is trying to break free and is affecting your perception, and voice by the way. Dickhead? Good grief. Not my fault Progs are the way they are, with cookie-cutter knee-jerking attempts to fit reality into their narrative.


I know your strategy now - you aim to kill all hated "progressives" through sheer boredom. Your beloved Nobel wannabe nominee Trump will be most impressed with you, I'm sure.

Hate the sin, not the Prog.

The regressive Progressives are likely to die off from insanity or HBP.

President Trump is not my beloved, but he is a good man, and a good president. History will verify.

That would be great if he was impressed because he’s generous, however, I’m not worthy of his time. I have nothing that he needs or wants.

Walker
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Walker » Fri May 25, 2018 10:26 am

Greta wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 am
In terms of geological periods we are in the:

Phanerozoid Eon - from about the last 500m years, the age of plants and animals
Cenozoic Era - from about 70m years, the age of mammals
Quatenary Period - from about 2.5m years ago, something technical to do with ice sheets
Holocene Epoch - from about 12k years ago to today. It's also being referred to as the Holocene extinction event.

In terms of archaeological periods we are in the Information Age (from 1970 on) and the Big Data Age (2001 on).

However, if humans die out and rats evolve to replace us, when their naturalists observe major large sedimentary structures they will find a thin band infused with a strange substance. They might see our time as the Plastic Era :)
In terms of geological periods ...

... the Holocene extinction event.


Apparently the tectonic plate boundary in the Hawaii area is different than Indonesia.
https://geology.com/usgs/hawaiian-hot-spot/

Krakatoa – plates colliding head on.
Hawaii – a plate rubbing over a hot spot, theorized relatively recently, so likely the science isn’t settled.

Hopefully for Hawaii, less chance of an explosion, but the molten rock flowing like honey is still cause for those stuck in paradise to endure a visit to the land-locked mainlands, at least until mother nature’s hot flash passes.
Greta wrote: ... for turning what could have been an interesting chat about real things ...
Volcanoes are real things, lives are at stake, and the opportunity for that interesting chat was passed over.

But don't worry.
I get the drift of what you're saying.

Walker
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Walker » Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am

An age of polarizing tribalism.

commonsense
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: What age are we in?

Post by commonsense » Fri May 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Fake News

User avatar
QuantumT
Posts: 619
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:45 pm
Contact:

Re: What age are we in?

Post by QuantumT » Fri May 25, 2018 6:51 pm

commonsense wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:38 pm
Fake News
Please stick to Twitter, Mr. POTUS :mrgreen:

User avatar
bahman
Posts: 1392
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: What age are we in?

Post by bahman » Fri May 25, 2018 7:31 pm

QuantumT wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm
500 years from now, in the year 2518, what do you think they will call our age? The 19th to the 21st century (give or take)?

The electric age?
The technological age?
The computer age?
The nuclear age?

Or will they extend the medieval age to the 21st?
The age of wisdom, hopefully in early future.

commonsense
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: What age are we in?

Post by commonsense » Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 pm

bahman wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:31 pm
QuantumT wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm
500 years from now, in the year 2518, what do you think they will call our age? The 19th to the 21st century (give or take)?

The electric age?
The technological age?
The computer age?
The nuclear age?

Or will they extend the medieval age to the 21st?
The age of wisdom, hopefully in early future.
Sorry, but no. As I said before, it will be the Age of Fake News. :lol:

User avatar
Greta
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Greta » Fri May 25, 2018 11:54 pm

Walker wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am
An age of polarizing tribalism.
That's just the usual pre-war state rather than an age. What is war but physically expressed intensely polarised tribalism? One clue is the sense that at least one side sees the other as not human; killing sub-humans is less tragic than killing humans, seemingly.

For whatever reason, Fox is very keen for another war. Given Murdoch's passion for political control, that's not just about sales. Arms and fossil fuel companies appear to be quietly involved behind the scenes in the beating drums of war.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests