What age are we in?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

QuantumT

What age are we in?

Post by QuantumT »

500 years from now, in the year 2518, what do you think they will call our age? The 19th to the 21st century (give or take)?

The electric age?
The technological age?
The computer age?
The nuclear age?

Or will they extend the medieval age to the 21st?
Impenitent

Re: What age are we in?

Post by Impenitent »

they'll call it the age when the space aliens made first contact...

then again

-Imp
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Impenitent wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm they'll call it the age when the space aliens made first contact...

then again

-Imp
I'd pop that champagne before it gets too old. Contact? I doubt it.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

QuantumT wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:28 pm 500 years from now, in the year 2518, what do you think they will call our age? The 19th to the 21st century (give or take)?

The electric age?
The technological age?
The computer age?
The nuclear age?

Or will they extend the medieval age to the 21st?
How about the "Age of Stupidity", I can't believe that so many stupid people were in charge.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

QuantumT wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm
Impenitent wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm they'll call it the age when the space aliens made first contact...

then again

-Imp
I'd pop that champagne before it gets too old. Contact? I doubt it.
I agree, "Lets break out the booze and have a ball, if that's all there is."
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

thedoc wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 pm How about the "Age of Stupidity", I can't believe that so many stupid people were in charge.
So, the Trump age?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

QuantumT wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 pm
thedoc wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:53 pm How about the "Age of Stupidity", I can't believe that so many stupid people were in charge.
So, the Trump age?
Trump is only the most recent in a long line of the 'best of the worst', I'd rather have Trump in charge than Killiry. I have often said that an election is choosing the best of the worst, those who should be in office don't want it and those who want to be in office shouldn't.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

thedoc wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:08 pm those who should be in office don't want it and those who want to be in office shouldn't.
Someone said: The world will be happy, when power is in the hands of those who don't want it.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The beige age.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

thedoc wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:08 pm
QuantumT wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 pm
So, the Trump age?
Trump is only the most recent in a long line of the 'best of the worst', I'd rather have Trump in charge than Killiry. I have often said that an election is choosing the best of the worst, those who should be in office don't want it and those who want to be in office shouldn't.
And it was Hillary whose lust for power oozed out of every pore while Trump didn't even seem to want the job. That must have made defeat even harder for her to take :lol:
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greta

Post by Greta »

In terms of geological periods we are in the:

Phanerozoid Eon - from about the last 500m years, the age of plants and animals
Cenozoic Era - from about 70m years, the age of mammals
Quatenary Period - from about 2.5m years ago, something technical to do with ice sheets
Holocene Epoch - from about 12k years ago to today. It's also being referred to as the Holocene extinction event.

In terms of archaeological periods we are in the Information Age (from 1970 on) and the Big Data Age (2001 on).

However, if humans die out and rats evolve to replace us, when their naturalists observe major large sedimentary structures they will find a thin band infused with a strange substance. They might see our time as the Plastic Era :)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 am In terms of geological periods we are in the:

Phanerozoid Eon - from about the last 500m years, the age of plants and animals
Cenozoic Era - from about 70m years, the age of mammals
Quatenary Period - from about 2.5m years ago, something technical to do with ice sheets
Holocene Epoch - from about 12k years ago to today. It's also being referred to as the Holocene extinction event.

In terms of archaeological periods we are in the Information Age (from 1970 on) and the Big Data Age (2001 on).

However, if humans die out and rats evolve to replace us, when their naturalists observe major large sedimentary structures they will find a thin band infused with a strange substance. They might see our time as the Plastic Era :)
If that decreasing time-span of intervals continues, then everything will happen all at once, then everyone will be in The Age of the Present, instead of The Age of the Presents.

Could the forces that caused the Krakabigtoa eruption repeat in Hawaii?
It appears that Hawaii is inside the Ring of Fire, and not on the ring itself.
commonsense

The Age of Dumbing Down and the Crisis of Trust.

Post by commonsense »

Never has the deliberate attempt to devalue intelligence and promote mediocrity been as ubiquitous as now. The under-educated, average Joes may outnumber the elite, but the intellect of the few should outweigh the uninformed beliefs of the masses.

The wise are not consulted for difficult problems. They are mocked for lack of social or physical prowess, or for liking thinking and learning. Of course, the techies do not admire intellectual laziness, but their minds are focused on the digital. Certainly, the smartest of the techies empower the average Joe to organize his whole life on his mobile phone, but that phone eventually does Joe's thinking for him.

Worse yet, since Joe lacks critical thinking skills, he accepts the viewpoint of the longest and loudest message, no matter how cogent the rebuttal. That message is considered to be the honest truth, because its less taxing to adhere to it than to think about it. Trust is awarded to that easy, believable, pervasive message, because it is a comfort not to have to be analytical.

Sure, there are other distinctive attributes of the day, but none so far-reaching. No, it is the widespread assassination of intelligence and truth that best distinguishes this age from the others.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Many comedians say we’re in The Humorless Age.

They won’t even work college campuses anymore.
That used to be a venue for edgy comics.

Too much PC these days.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

The Age of Confusionism