Think positive

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Think positive

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Can you always think positive, or should you, possibly because it's not realistic to do so?

PhilX 🇺🇸
QuantumT

Re: Think positive

Post by QuantumT »

You absolutely should!

The collapse of the wave function (double slit experiment) shows that our observing creates our reality, and an experiment with meditation suggests strongly that even our attention has an impact:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... mes-of-the

Many many people experience that a positive attitude improves their lives, while a negative attitude sends them into a downwards spiral. I do not believe that is coincidental. You actually do create your own happiness.
Last edited by QuantumT on Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

A negative, hateful attitude opens the door for evil to possess mind and body.
QuantumT

Post by QuantumT »

Walker wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:10 pm A negative, hateful attitude opens the door for evil to possess mind and body.
Evil is a bit gloomy. Maybe sentimentality is a better word. Many people deal with that, and it's not evil, just annoying.
Troll

Post by Troll »

Evil is a bit gloomy. Maybe sentimentality is a better word. Many people deal with that, and it's not evil, just annoying.
Evil can mean extremely harmful to humans. No need to be so bigoted, if I may say so, with respect to all that rings of the western tradition.

Should one "think positive"? Can one? I would say we are limited very severely by our characters. However, if it were good to "think positive", one might do it as much or as little as one's nature allows. Is it good? I'm not sure, can you give one example? The question is too vague and general to bring out the difficulties or to think one way or another about it without excessive assumptions about what is meant.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Troll wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 am
Evil can mean extremely harmful to humans. No need to be so bigoted, if I may say so, with respect to all that rings of the western tradition.

Should one "think positive"? Can one? I would say we are limited very severely by our characters. However, if it were good to "think positive", one might do it as much or as little as one's nature allows. Is it good? I'm not sure, can you give one example? The question is too vague and general to bring out the difficulties or to think one way or another about it without excessive assumptions about what is meant.
Many of my questions are general or "vague" as you would put it. This is to help generate discussion and explore different topics.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Troll

Post by Troll »

One can't really agree or disagree without something more exact. I think you will sink in vapid answers, if one assumes to know what you mean each in their own airy think tank. That is what philosophy, as Platonic dialectic, is for, ascending from the ordinary vagueness of the airhead. And only then, after long circumlocutions, perhaps, retracing to it in the diaphanous white clouds of wonder.

What do you mean by "think positive"? I find this, a strange, if commonplace, notion. That I should focus on the possibility that you sieze the chance to philosophize according to the style of a Socrates!?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Can you always think positive or should you possibly because it is not realistic to do so
Pragmatic thinking is better than positive thinking because pragmatism actually works
While positive thinking is a good thing it will not always result in the desired outcome
duszek

Post by duszek »

In therapies people are invited to get in touch with the repressed material in their minds.
The goal is to become more free and happy.

Could it be that positive thinking is soul-destroying because negative emotions are not allowed to surface ?
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

I'm having a rather Jordan Peterson view on this. The shit is out there and keeps coming. There are no positive opposite of "catastrophy", most positive things we have to create for ourselves(Well, nature in May in Scandinavia is definitely a plus). But we have to make the world a good place.