Materialism cannot be true

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: Materialism cannot be true

Post by bahman »

jayjacobus wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:05 am No, I disagree. Actually I think that hypothesis is not only wrong but has no foundation.
So you think that your body and Earth move separately?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Troll wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 am
“Entropy is a macroscopic concept which allows us to formulate the relation between macroscopic variable of a system. Everything can be described in term of configuration and motion of matter. That is the claim of materialist.”
Although, there is a problem. Does mater refer to something one can see, and that is causal, or to the object of maths and functions? Function can be considered as replacing the natural notion of causation. maths of modern physics as replacing the “world picture” of human beings and their folk sense data.
Materialism claims that matter is subject to causality and its behavior can be explained by mathematics.
Troll wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 am
1) Consciousness is the result of physical process, 2) There is only one process, 3) Therefore there should be only one consciousness, 4) 3 is false therefore 2 is wrong (1 cannot be wrong).
The process is the rule about how the material moves. It acts on the material. Which is many. If the consciousness is material, then it is material that dances differently under the one rule of motion. A feather moves differently than a stone, when there is air. Gravity is said to be unitary.
The problem that I am raising is that you see motion in everything. It is a single motion since everything is connected by forces.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

It doesn't matter what consciousness is made of. Consciousness is about the world and the human who is conscious. That's the purpose of consciousness (sort of).
Troll

Post by Troll »

I don't see any content to the way you are using the word "material". Consciousness is simply a name for the existence of the world. How would you make a distinction? There's no experience that ins't conscious. The theory of material has to do with a kind of systematic removal of the human sense of the world. I taste sugar as sweet, but is sugar sweet? A bug doesn't taste sweetness there. I see an object in colours, but a dog sees no colours. Locke still assumed what is rather natural to assume, that solidity or touch was not a human sense like sight or hearing. But, when one really thinks about it, touch too is a human thing. The material was thought as something beyond the human, but it's questionable whether it is thinkable at all; whether one can speak of a thing-in-itself at all. The concept is still alive because in physics mathematical objects, which have no sensual existence, are widely assumed in mental reflection to be the thing-in-itself.
bahman

Post by bahman »

jayjacobus wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:38 pm It doesn't matter what consciousness is made of. Consciousness is about the world and the human who is conscious. That's the purpose of consciousness (sort of).
What you said has no relevance to our discussion.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Troll wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:51 pm I don't see any content to the way you are using the word "material". Consciousness is simply a name for the existence of the world. How would you make a distinction? There's no experience that ins't conscious. The theory of material has to do with a kind of systematic removal of the human sense of the world. I taste sugar as sweet, but is sugar sweet? A bug doesn't taste sweetness there. I see an object in colours, but a dog sees no colours. Locke still assumed what is rather natural to assume, that solidity or touch was not a human sense like sight or hearing. But, when one really thinks about it, touch too is a human thing. The material was thought as something beyond the human, but it's questionable whether it is thinkable at all; whether one can speak of a thing-in-itself at all. The concept is still alive because in physics mathematical objects, which have no sensual existence, are widely assumed in mental reflection to be the thing-in-itself.
So what is your answer to OP. Do you believe that matter creates experience? Why?
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Troll wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:51 pm I don't see any content to the way you are using the word "material". Consciousness is simply a name for the existence of the world. How would you make a distinction? There's no experience that ins't conscious. The theory of material has to do with a kind of systematic removal of the human sense of the world. I taste sugar as sweet, but is sugar sweet? A bug doesn't taste sweetness there. I see an object in colours, but a dog sees no colours. Locke still assumed what is rather natural to assume, that solidity or touch was not a human sense like sight or hearing. But, when one really thinks about it, touch too is a human thing. The material was thought as something beyond the human, but it's questionable whether it is thinkable at all; whether one can speak of a thing-in-itself at all. The concept is still alive because in physics mathematical objects, which have no sensual existence, are widely assumed in mental reflection to be the thing-in-itself.
You are being restricted by the OP. He seems to think that is right.
Troll

Post by Troll »

"The problem that I am raising is that you see motion in everything. It is a single motion since everything is connected by forces."
It's not necessary to think motion causally. That something causes something. Cause is an answer to the question: "Why?". The question can be withheld. Change does not require cause or a mover to be intelligible. Or, in your contention, multiple movers. The question about why that door slammed shut, the Why?, is concerned with a change (there is a change, and then the question comes in). Questions about the Why are Metaphysical in the traditional sense. They require us to appeal to reason and judgment.

The Materialist view, if that means the now powerful conception of physics, sensu stricto, is metaphysically neutral. Metaphysically neutral does not mean the same thing as non-metaphysical. Questions about the Why have no place in a physical description of the How, e.g., of how a stone moves under the conditions of a vacuum. "Forces" are mathematical conceptions. They replace Cause, the Why, with the Function, i.e., N = Fx. There is no causality in physics. Ergo, one can not contradict it by claiming there must be multiple movers, or inner sources of the causes of change.

This is an apodictic feature of physics, which is also, if one likes, true: Metaphysical questions don't enter in. So it is very important that we ask, are we speaking of Philosophic Materialism, as in Locke, or Materialism in the sense it is applied to the metaphysically neutral Physics? The one is a matter for argument, the other is a fact of math. The Why, as cause, takes no expression in the maths used by physicists.

The "neutrality" means that mathematical representation remains within the region of Metaphysics, and yet the Why, the essential feature of Metaphysics, can not pierce it. The "it happens" of the "neutrality" is, as it were, the photographic negative of the everyday attitude which treats the Whys of daily life as a matter of course and thoughtlessly without asking into their ground.
Last edited by Troll on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Troll

Post by Troll »

"So what is your answer to OP. Do you believe that matter creates experience? Why?"
One has to sort out the question concerning what "matter" means.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

The short answer is events cause experience through the brain to consciousness. All three are required for there to be experience.

Matter is necessary to be events. So is time.
Troll

Post by Troll »

"The short answer is events cause experience through the brain to consciousness. All three are required for there to be experience.

Matter is necessary to be events. So is time."
Asinine prattle with no content. One has to take the question of the meaning of one's terms seriously to say anything at all. Only then do necessary questions show themselves.
Serendipper

Post by Serendipper »

Troll wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 pm
"So what is your answer to OP. Do you believe that matter creates experience? Why?"
What do you think it means?

What is matter? Nevermind. What is mind? Don't matter.

How can we have one without the other?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Troll wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 pm
"The problem that I am raising is that you see motion in everything. It is a single motion since everything is connected by forces."
It's not necessary to think motion causally. That something causes something. Cause is an answer to the question: "Why?". The question can be withheld. Change does not require cause or a mover to be intelligible. Or, in your contention, multiple movers. The question about why that door slammed shut, the Why?, is concerned with a change (there is a change, and then the question comes in). Questions about the Why are Metaphysical in the traditional sense. They require us to appeal to reason and judgment.

The Materialist view, if that means the now powerful conception of physics, sensu stricto, is metaphysically neutral. Metaphysically neutral does not mean the same thing as non-metaphysical. Questions about the Why have no place in a physical description of the How, e.g., of how a stone moves under the conditions of a vacuum. "Forces" are mathematical conceptions. They replace Cause, the Why, with the Function, i.e., N = Fx. There is no causality in physics. Ergo, one can not contradict it by claiming there must be multiple movers, or inner sources of the causes of change.

This is an apodictic feature of physics, which is also, if one likes, true: Metaphysical questions don't enter in. So it is very important that we ask, are we speaking of Philosophic Materialism, as in Locke, or Materialism in the sense it is applied to the metaphysically neutral Physics? The one is a matter for argument, the other is a fact of math. The Why, as cause, takes no expression in the maths used by physicists.

The "neutrality" means that mathematical representation remains within the region of Metaphysics, and yet the Why, the essential feature of Metaphysics, can not pierce it. The "it happens" of the "neutrality" is, as it were, the photographic negative of the everyday attitude which treats the Whys of daily life as a matter of course and thoughtlessly without asking into their ground.
In physics, the forces are mathematical things which describe how causality work. The forces can be expressed in term of functions.

Materialists claim that everything is made of matter and any phenomena, including consciousness, can be describe in term of interaction between pieces of matter and pieces' motion.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Troll wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:41 pm
Matter is a thing that everything is made of it.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Troll wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 pm
"The short answer is events cause experience through the brain to consciousness. All three are required for there to be experience.

Matter is necessary to be events. So is time."
Asinine prattle with no content. One has to take the question of the meaning of one's terms seriously to say anything at all. Only then do necessary questions show themselves.
Asinine prattle? really? Are you sure you want to piss me off?

He’s the kind of a man you’d use as a blueprint to build an idiot.