Free will is real

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Free will is real

Post by bahman »

We are all sure about the fact that thought precedes act and the fact that they are different. There is therefore a point in which there is neither thought nor act. Lets call this point the decision point. This point cannot be affected by thought because otherwise it is a part of chain of thought. Therefore decision is free.
Last edited by bahman on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impenitent

Re: Free will is real

Post by Impenitent »

reflexively free is not cognitively free

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 pm reflexively free is not cognitively free

-Imp
What is reflexively free?
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

There are a number of instances where neuroscience has shown behavior occurs without any thought. Like a person who hit their thumb with a hammer, they will move their hand away after the hit. When asked why they did this, they will say because it hurt. Yet, the thumb is actually moved away before any pain occurs. Or, touch your finger to your nose and see if you think the feeling of contact occurred simultaneously, as opposed to the feeling that the finger was touched occurred after the nose was touched, because the nerve route was longer for the finger?

While science has yet to show that free-will does or does not exist, despite the new-atheist community fixated on the claim that science has ruled out free-will, it is an open question. In fact, the vast majority of neuroscientists don't even want to spend time addressing it because they are too busy struggling with how the brain actually works. But, even though free-will remains as an open question, we still know that numerous human actions occur without any thought directing them. Like reflexes, as another common example.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Science Fan wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:33 pm There are a number of instances where neuroscience has shown behavior occurs without any thought. Like a person who hit their thumb with a hammer, they will move their hand away after the hit. When asked why they did this, they will say because it hurt. Yet, the thumb is actually moved away before any pain occurs. Or, touch your finger to your nose and see if you think the feeling of contact occurred simultaneously, as opposed to the feeling that the finger was touched occurred after the nose was touched, because the nerve route was longer for the finger?

While science has yet to show that free-will does or does not exist, despite the new-atheist community fixated on the claim that science has ruled out free-will, it is an open question. In fact, the vast majority of neuroscientists don't even want to spend time addressing it because they are too busy struggling with how the brain actually works. But, even though free-will remains as an open question, we still know that numerous human actions occur without any thought directing them. Like reflexes, as another common example.
What do you think of my argument?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

freewill is overated (the whole philosophical debate bores me).

man - who is an animal - has no more freewill than the rest of his "family".

he just has a bigger brain - that brain is still a product of evolution and so he has no freewill, and is constrained by all the born instincts the rest of his family has.

"reason" you say!!!!!!!!

ya, what about it? maybe it is overrated and just another instinct.

I find the whole "we have freewill" proclaimation as Hubris myself
bahman

Post by bahman »

gaffo wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:13 am freewill is overated (the whole philosophical debate bores me).

man - who is an animal - has no more freewill than the rest of his "family".

he just has a bigger brain - that brain is still a product of evolution and so he has no freewill, and is constrained by all the born instincts the rest of his family has.

"reason" you say!!!!!!!!

ya, what about it? maybe it is overrated and just another instinct.

I find the whole "we have freewill" proclaimation as Hubris myself
What do you think of my argument?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

It does seem to be a rather silly thing to agonise over. What difference does it make?
henry quirk

"What difference does it make?"

Post by henry quirk »

As a real, flesh and bone, free will, I think it makes a whole whack of difference.

If I'm bio-automata (more specifically, if I can be convinced I'm nuthin' but bio-automata) then any objections I have to being used as resource or instrument are baseless.

If, however, I'm a free will (an agent in the world; self-owned, self-directing [autonomous]) then my objections to being used, directed, devalued have foundation.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Since your argument is based on at least one false premise, your argument cannot justify your conclusion. Your conclusion may be right, but your argument cannot justify it when based on at least one false premise.
Atla

Re: "What difference does it make?"

Post by Atla »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:07 pm If I'm bio-automata (more specifically, if I can be convinced I'm nuthin' but bio-automata) then any objections I have to being used as resource or instrument are baseless.
Ehh, why? Nothing changes, you can still have your objections all the same. That too is predetermined.
henry quirk

"one false premise"

Post by henry quirk »

Which is?
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Henry: I already explained the false premises above. I'm not going to repeat myself to benefit someone who hasn't read the thread.
henry quirk

"predetermined"

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, that's the thing: I'm not; you're not; and the folks who work so hard to convince others that they are, aren't either (and they damn well know it). But: convince a man that's he's just a bit of programmed organic matter and you can use him as you like.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sci,

I read the thread.

Was this...

Since your argument is based on at least one false premise, your argument cannot justify your conclusion. Your conclusion may be right, but your argument cannot justify it when based on at least one false premise.

...directed at me?

If so: I'm not seein' how this...

There are a number of instances where neuroscience has shown behavior occurs without any thought. Like a person who hit their thumb with a hammer, they will move their hand away after the hit. When asked why they did this, they will say because it hurt. Yet, the thumb is actually moved away before any pain occurs. Or, touch your finger to your nose and see if you think the feeling of contact occurred simultaneously, as opposed to the feeling that the finger was touched occurred after the nose was touched, because the nerve route was longer for the finger?

...has any bearing on this...

As a real, flesh and bone, free will, I think it makes a whole whack of difference.

If I'm bio-automata (more specifically, if I can be convinced I'm nuthin' but bio-automata) then any objections I have to being used as resource or instrument are baseless.

If, however, I'm a free will (an agent in the world; self-owned, self-directing [autonomous]) then my objections to being used, directed, devalued have foundation.

And, if not: then fuggedaboutit.