What could be better than a marriage?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

What could be better than a marriage?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Often they're regarded as special relationships. Supposed to be the backbone of society and countries.

How do you feel about it?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Eodnhoj7

Re: What could be better than a marriage?

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:51 pm Often they're regarded as special relationships. Supposed to be the backbone of society and countries.

How do you feel about it?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Just look at the failed state of marriage in western countries...and look at the problems the western countries have.....

I know from practical and personal experience, as a millennial, it is quite difficult going through the "marriage" process, or even dating for that matter.

Part of this is because of the lack of social etiquette for both sides, male and female, neither seem to really understand what to do or how to approach the situation. This leads to further complications, not that relationships aren't complicated enough already, in the respect it is a "meta-guessing game" where both sides are guessing about the guessing.

The sex component is complicated because it is given so easily. Most relationships the couples are having sex within a relatively quick period of time, if that is not how they started. The problem occurs is that these relationships not only "fizzle" out but fundamentally cause damage for further relationships and cause a "fracturing" within the psyche.

On the other hand the couple going through the dating process is not even doing so with a sense of marriage or lasting relationship in mind. This leads to a continual habit of broken relationships where the "norm" is that the couple is together for "x" amount of time until one of the parties involved decides to "upgrade". From my observation this "upgrade" is usually from the woman's side however applies sometimes to men as well.

The women have unrealistic expectations of the men they date in the respect that a degree of "perfection" is demanded from him in all respects of life. The problem, I believe has to do with the fact not only are many of the women over-materialistic, but they are trying to make up for failed prior relationships...specifically with their fathers.

The men want model's but can generally do with less. Most men however have a self-image problem in their ability to integrate within a society that has not only no place but generally seems to process them out. This messes with the identities of most men, which in turn hurts the relation.

I know from personal experience it is actually easier to get laid then it is to be able to find any lasting relationship that is mutually beneficial. I have found it easier to find a woman who want's to blow me rather than just show a basic act of kindness...it becomes disgusting after awhile and in all truth I have a very low opinion of women.
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

According to biology, the best marriages are between either third or fourth cousins. This provides a close genetic connection, without being so close that it is harmful. Rather odd then that so few people actually marry their third of fourth cousin. In the Arab world, first-cousin marriages are common, and harmful. In the western world, few marry any cousin.
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:26 pm According to biology, the best marriages are between either third or fourth cousins. This provides a close genetic connection, without being so close that it is harmful. Rather odd then that so few people actually marry their third of fourth cousin. In the Arab world, first-cousin marriages are common, and harmful. In the western world, few marry any cousin.
Interesting SF. I was given to understand that it wasn't harmful to have sex with anyone genetically close.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

PE: Having sex with them may not be harmful, but having children with them is. Too closely related, and problems arise, and too distantly related and other problems can also arise, like incompatible immune systems. I can't recall all the details, and I'm not a biologist, but from my reading, it appears the optimal marriages from a biological standpoint, including getting along psychologically, are somewhere between 3rd and 4th cousin marriages. I was surprised when I first read that, because I was thinking, if true, then we should see a lot of such marriages, but we hardly see any of them.
Philosophy Explorer

Science Fan wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm PE: Having sex with them may not be harmful, but having children with them is. Too closely related, and problems arise, and too distantly related and other problems can also arise, like incompatible immune systems. I can't recall all the details, and I'm not a biologist, but from my reading, it appears the optimal marriages from a biological standpoint, including getting along psychologically, are somewhere between 3rd and 4th cousin marriages. I was surprised when I first read that, because I was thinking, if true, then we should see a lot of such marriages, but we hardly see any of them.
That's what I meant SF so I stand corrected on the pregnancy part.

PhilX 🇺🇸