Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp& ... CgTyqsYAOA

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL
Philosophy Explorer

Re: Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Greatest I am wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 pm Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL
Donations aren't forced, US government doesn't fund religion, religion doesn't make promises enforceable by law. I don't see it as a duty of government, in fact the Constitution has it as a separation of church and government. Are you proposing this as an amendment to the Constitution?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

ask the Saudis

-Imp
henry quirk

LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE!

Post by henry quirk »

If Sam ain't takin' money out of your pocket, food off your table, or shingles from the roof over your head LEAVE HIM BE to wallow in whatever religion he finds appealing!

All the goddamned busy bodies so eager to butt in.

The Magic Jew, He said: You hypocrites! You worry so about the speck in your brother's eye and are ignorant of the log in your own! Go take the log from your own eye, only then are you fit to concern yourself about the speck in another's eye!

The Gardener, he said: quit worrying about my garden and go tend to your own, you motherfucker.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Actually they are 'takin' money out of your pocket' because they get to pay no taxes. Someone has to cover the cost (guess who).
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, but I cheat on mine, so... :wink:
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

I suppose if one wants to abandon freedom of speech and freedom of conscience as well a freedom of religion, then one would advocate for government regulating the content of religious speech.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:43 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:33 pm Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Do you?

Regards
DL
Donations aren't forced,

I did not say they were.
US government doesn't fund religion,

Not directly but they help them financially with tax exemptions that create a shortfall that the non-believers have to end up paying.
religion doesn't make promises enforceable by law.
I did not say they did.
I don't see it as a duty of government, in fact the Constitution has it as a separation of church and government. Are you proposing this as an amendment to the Constitution?
Not at all. I just want fraud laws enforced.

Separation of church and state has nothing to do with our governments abrogating their duty to protect the population from fraudsters and lawbreakers.

PhilX 🇺🇸
Think of the Golden Rule.
What should you and governments be doing against those who lie to our most gullible for profit just like all con men do?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Impenitent wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:08 pm ask the Saudis

-Imp
Are you saying your government is a theocratic one?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Re: LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE!

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:18 pm If Sam ain't takin' money out of your pocket, food off your table, or shingles from the roof over your head LEAVE HIM BE to wallow in whatever religion he finds appealing!

All the goddamned busy bodies so eager to butt in.

The Magic Jew, He said: You hypocrites! You worry so about the speck in your brother's eye and are ignorant of the log in your own! Go take the log from your own eye, only then are you fit to concern yourself about the speck in another's eye!

The Gardener, he said: quit worrying about my garden and go tend to your own, you motherfucker.
Sam is taking money out of your pocket as you have to help subsidize the tax downfall created by religious tax breaks.

Further, you do not seem to care at all about your neighbor being lied to for his money.

Nice morals pal. Not.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Re:

Post by Greatest I am »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:50 pm Yeah, but I cheat on mine, so... :wink:
Not surprising with your lack of a moral sense.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Science Fan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:20 pm I suppose if one wants to abandon freedom of speech and freedom of conscience as well a freedom of religion, then one would advocate for government regulating the content of religious speech.
Have you not noted that governments already limit what religions can do?

Every law is a limit to what people can and we have laws in place to limit religions.

We also have frauds laws in place that just are not being enforced.

Or don't you see those who perpetually lie to people for their money as frauds?

Regards
DL
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

DL,

Meh.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

GIA said:

"Not directly but they help them financially with tax exemptions that create a shortfall that the non-believers have to end up paying."

But the believers also pay so no need to single them out.
Also the poor don't pay taxes. I also don't see where the religions are getting funded by the US government as it's in accord with the principle of separation of religion from government. Not taxing doesn't mean the religions are getting paid or funded by the US government.

Are you looking for an amendment?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Science Fan

Post by Science Fan »

Greatest: There has always been a distinction between speech and action. Basically, freedom of speech protects the content of the speech. So, one cannot use a bullhorn at 2 a.m. to start preaching, that limitation on waking people up who are trying to sleep, however, has nothing to do with the content of the speech itself. The opening post in contrast asked about government regulating the content of speech based on religious fraud. That would involve a serious violation of the First Amendment protections we have in the USA.