Is it possible to live a normal life?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Is it possible to live a normal life?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I'm not going to try to define it. I'm only asking if it can be lived?

PhilX 🇺🇸
Nick_A

Re: Is it possible to live a normal life?

Post by Nick_A »

Since we create our own reality we cannot be abnormal. No matter what we do we are normal for life in Plato's cave where all expressions of normality take place.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 am Since we create our own reality we cannot be abnormal. No matter what we do we are normal for life in Plato's cave where all expressions of normality take place.
In that case I guess Plato's cave would make even you normal. No wonder you get so many replies from people who are just as normal as you are! :lol:
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 am
Nick_A wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 am Since we create our own reality we cannot be abnormal. No matter what we do we are normal for life in Plato's cave where all expressions of normality take place.
In that case I guess Plato's cave would make even you normal. No wonder you get so many replies from people who are just as normal as you are! :lol:
If I were married and had a son we would be known as Mr. and Mrs. Normal with their son Ab. The kid would have potential.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:35 am
Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 am
If I were married and had a son we would be known as Mr. and Mrs. Normal with their son Ab. The kid would have potential.
Could be but first you have to teach Ab the meaning of the word SECULAR and the many different comparisons and viewpoints contained within its domain vis-a-vis any single meaning you denote and keep repeating like a machine on perpetual rewind.

Without that perspective every single post of yours becomes worthless through distortion, defunct in proportionality as if reflected in a circus mirror.

Your usual responders seemingly know that as well, the difference being I find it mind paralyzing attempting to constantly drill into one so petrified in its pristine enlightenment as yours. Clearly, no one is ever going to extract a live fish under that level of ice.

You remind me of this...

If Philosophy as "love of wisdom" would be what really goes on here, you would have been ignored out of existence long ago but instead it seems some of the "intelligentsia" still find you stimulating ever ready to respond to every insane abstraction you make. As long as they remain there will be every opportunity for you to propagate your sermons on enlightenment by constantly misusing the same words and concepts ad infinitum.

Instead of puking, some just love getting dizzy on merry-go-rounds!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dubious

Secularism has one essential meaning. Naturally it can be expressed in many ways and people argue them but it really only has one essential meaning which many find offensive.

Secularism is concerned with worldly activities. It is concerned with what we DO. In contrast a universal perspective is concerned with what we ARE – the quality of our “being” in a universal perspective. Consider this idea in the contest of the Buddhist parable of the Burning House

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/buddhism ... house.html

The burning house is the secular world caught up in all its contradictions. It can produce great works of compassion one day and be guilty of all the results of jealousy, greed, and prestige on the next. It is a madhouse. But people are caught up by habit in the madhouse and fight endlessly over what to do. In the sutra, the wealthy man knowing the children are so caught up with things within the burning house coaxes them out of the house through deception. You may argue that “expedient means” is ethically wrong but that is another issue.

The point I am making is tht there is an essential difference between secularism and its concerns for what we do in an earthly context and universalism which is the concern for what we ARE in a universal context.

You prefer to endlessly argue over various expressions of secular concepts but the real love of wisdom begins with consciously experiencing what we ARE: “Know Thyself” You prefer to argue about what is going on in the burning house and I am bringing up the question of how to get out of the burning house by acquiring a universal perspective. Of course it is offensive and real philosophy is offensive which is why Socrates had to be killed. The Great Beast can only maintain its power through psychological slavery to the burning house. It doesn’t like those willing to disturb the peace. Young Ab Normal will soon learn that his questions will earn the ugliest responses when he enters a secular university desiring to tell him what to do.