Self determination

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Self determination

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Should every person have complete determination - the right to make decisions for him- or herself? And what about the animals?

Can consistent rules be drawn to cover every situation?

PhilX 🇺🇸
-1-

Re: Self determination

Post by -1- »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:55 am Should every person have complete determination - the right to make decisions for him- or herself? And what about the animals?

Can consistent rules be drawn to cover every situation?

PhilX 🇺🇸

If you need to obey rules -- be they consistent or in~ -- then you are not self-determined.

It's like asking, who created god, and what were the parameters for the initial design.

Which brings us to the very nagging question: is god a species to itself? If yes, is it a mammalian species? (I shudder to think of the alternatives.)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

-1- wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 am Which brings us to the very nagging question: is god a species to itself? If yes, is it a mammalian species? (I shudder to think of the alternatives.)
What if God is not a species but a being unto itself?
-1-

Post by -1- »

thedoc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 am What if God is not a species but a being unto itself?
I don't know if that is possible for a living thing. To have consciousness, you need a soul, and for a soul, you need life. To be alive, you need to belong to a species. Otherwise how would you gain life?
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

-1- wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:47 am
thedoc wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:48 am What if God is not a species but a being unto itself?
I don't know if that is possible for a living thing. To have consciousness, you need a soul, and for a soul, you need life. To be alive, you need to belong to a species. Otherwise how would you gain life?
You are applying human logic to God and there is no reason to expect that God is bound by human logic.
-1-

Post by -1- »

thedoc wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm
You are applying human logic to God and there is no reason to expect that God is bound by human logic.
Wow... you are denying and approving at the same time that I apply human logic to God.

This is exactly what I got myself into hot water about in another debate. There I said that if you show a Christian something which is green, and the Bible says it is red, then the Christian will call that thing red.

Here, you are telling me not to apply reason to describe God, but saying at the same time that God is bound by reasonable thought.

Which line of the bible were you quoting here? It's worth repeating to my street-preacher friends. (I have three such.)
-1-

Post by -1- »

-1- wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 pm
thedoc wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm
Wow... you are denying and approving at the same time that I apply human logic to God.

This is exactly what I got myself into hot water about in another debate. There I said that if you show a Christian something which is green, and the Bible says it is red, then the Christian will call that thing red.

Here, you are telling me not to apply reason to describe God, but saying at the same time that God is bound by reasonable thought.

Which line of the bible were you quoting here? It's worth repeating to my street-preacher friends. (I have three such.)
Oops.

DO I EVER BURN IN SHAME.

I misread "to expect" as "to, except".

It looks like I was the stupid one this time.

I am ready to admit that. I was stupid as I did not read the quote properly by myself.

My apologies.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

We should all learn form our mistakes and our successes, the trick is to always learn, those who do not learn aren't paying attention.
You are doing good, keep it up.