The Struggle for the Soul of America

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: Re:

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 am
thedoc wrote:Borders will be erased when everyone else thinks like an American, you can't expect Americans to degenerate to the level of the savages and slaves (every other country) on Earth.
I think a lot of those 'savages' and 'slaves' would be happy if you just kept within yours and stopped killing them.
Americans would be happy when all those savages and slaves would stop exporting their stupidity to America.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:Americans would be happy when all those savages and slaves would stop exporting their stupidity to America.
You mean bringing back what you took to them.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 pm
thedoc wrote:Americans would be happy when all those savages and slaves would stop exporting their stupidity to America.
You're just upset because the UK was better at being a bully than America. The problem is that the UK wanted to go in and stay (until they were kicked out) and the US would go in try to fix the problem and leave. The US has no delusions of grandeur like the UK did.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:You're just upset because the UK was better at being a bully than America. ...
And could run things as well. If I'm upset about anything it's that my party went along with your stupidity despite what the FO told us about our history and the likely outcome.
The problem is that the UK wanted to go in and stay (until they were kicked out) and the US would go in try to fix the problem and leave. ...
How's that gone for you? And more importantly how do you think it's gone for those you've left behind.
The US has no delusions of grandeur like the UK did.
:lol: USA #1 USA #1 but there's the problem as you lumber about in a hissy fit with no sense of responsibility, like a big fat kid in a cowboy hat.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 am
thedoc wrote:You're just upset because the UK was better at being a bully than America. ...
And could run things as well.
Yes by enslaving the indigenous population and making their lives miserable, the british have had a lot of practice doing that, all because they thought they were better than other people, when in reality they were worse.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:Yes by enslaving the indigenous population and making their lives miserable, the british have had a lot of practice doing that, all because they thought they were better than other people, when in reality they were worse.
:lol: How are your native Americans doing? The slaves getting along well?

We were no better and no worse than most but at least we stayed the course and tried to administer our ideals through administration, administrations that most appear to have attempted to keep. You on the other hand seem to have a very short memory or is your support for fascist dictatorships in S. America been whitewashed from your Disney history, all those secret police, death squads, torture prisons forgotten? In the past couple of decades you've been responsible for the destruction of three countries and more than few million deaths and all because you acted out of pique and believe yourself 'fixing things'. Did you learn nothing from Vietnam and Korea? If you are going to act the Imperial power then you need to stay the course and not delude yourself about the task you are engaged in otherwise you just make things worse, cowboy builders indeedy.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

thedoc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 pm The US has no delusions of grandeur like the UK did.
Yeah, us Brits and our talk of Manifest Destiny, that's the problem.
thedoc wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:41 am Yes by enslaving the indigenous population and making their lives miserable, the british have had a lot of practice doing that, all because they thought they were better than other people
You really have no self awareness do you Doc? You're basically a self-basting turkey.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 am
thedoc wrote:Yes by enslaving the indigenous population and making their lives miserable, the british have had a lot of practice doing that, all because they thought they were better than other people, when in reality they were worse.
:lol: How are your native Americans doing? The slaves getting along well?

We were no better and no worse than most but at least we stayed the course and tried to administer our ideals through administration, administrations that most appear to have attempted to keep. You on the other hand seem to have a very short memory or is your support for fascist dictatorships in S. America been whitewashed from your Disney history, all those secret police, death squads, torture prisons forgotten? In the past couple of decades you've been responsible for the destruction of three countries and more than few million deaths and all because you acted out of pique and believe yourself 'fixing things'. Did you learn nothing from Vietnam and Korea? If you are going to act the Imperial power then you need to stay the course and not delude yourself about the task you are engaged in otherwise you just make things worse, cowboy builders indeedy.
The Americans learned from the Brit's but we never got as good at it as the Brit's did. At least we kept the misery confined to our own borders and didn't export it all around the world, wasn't the saying at one time "The Sun never set's on the British Empire" the Brit's made people miserable all over the world. Just to be accurate the Brit's are much worse than everyone else, also you've been listening to too much false news to have an accurate view of the world.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:...
The Americans learned from the Brit's but we never got as good at it as the Brit's did. ...
Your loss.
At least we kept the misery confined to our own borders and didn't export it all around the world, ...
S.America, the Caribbean, the Middle East, Asia, you seem to have exported a lot of misery outside of your borders.
wasn't the saying at one time "The Sun never set's on the British Empire" the Brit's made people miserable all over the world. ...
The saying was about the size of the Empire and the fact that the sun was shining upon it at somewhere at any time of the day. For sure we made a lot of people miserable, so miserable that they kept or at least paid lip service to democracy and the institutions left behind and all by accident as we had no great ideals to spread it :lol: Unlike your current bluster where you blunder in spouting bullshit about installing it but leave chaos in your wake.
Just to be accurate the Brit's are much worse than everyone else, also you've been listening to too much false news to have an accurate view of the world.
LMAO! 'False News', well we know whose arse your head is up. Let me correct your misconceptions, since the Empire was abandoned we've pretty much spent the time deconstructing and analyzing every aspect of our behaviour and history of those times, both the good and the bad and are well aware of ourselves in this respect. You 'Yanks' on the other hand have learnt fuck all from your history and mainly rewrite it through Disney and Hollywood to suit the myths and bullshit you believe about yourselves. Grow-up, as if you are going to act like an Imperial Empire blundering around destroying others then take on the responsibilities of governance as well but stop deluding yourself you are acting otherwise as its a farce. Me, I think the Trumpette may well take you back to isolationism as it is your preferred mindset, parochial, and I personally think this will be a bad thing but who knows, maybe the Chinese will run things better as they've had four thousand years of practice and at least we won't have to listen to the bluster anymore.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"the Swiss model (would) suit your system better I think."

Lord, the 'swiss model' is the last thing I want.

#

"I'm surprised not having medical insurance is a criminal offense over there?"

The 'individual mandate', until recently, was the defining aspect of the ACA. That was recently negated, but the rest of the atrocity stands.

#

"You mean you dodge paying your taxes?"

I pay both state and federal taxes. What I won't pay is the fine for failing to comply with the ACA.

#

"You think you could pay for cancer treatment or some other life-threatening illness or major surgery dur to an accident?"

Yep, and I've already explained how.

#

"Sounds risky, especially since you have a dependent?"

How so?

#

"And if you get a serious disease or have a major accident? How will you shop around in these cases?"

With a disease, I shop around. With major accident, I go to an emergency room (and get the bill in the mail [which I pay]).

#

"I don't think you the kind of Yank I'm thinking about."

Yeah, I think I am.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"The seeds of discontent lie in the USA's name. A nation that is truly united does not need "united" in its name; unity is a given."

The United States of America is called the United Stated of America cuz it is a nation comprised of individual, autonomous, states. Which is to say: Louisiana is not beholden to follow the insane internal policies of New York or California, and they are free to ignore Louisiana's. It makes for a disharmony and clunkiness...and thank goodness for that disharmony and clunkiness.

If you think the US is the devil 'now', imagine how demonic we'd be if we were efficient about things.

#

"Tensions have reached a point where another American civil war would seem more than likely in the next decade, resulting in further diminished global competitiveness and trust."

America is built for tension and combativness...our federal gov is designed to lurch and teeter...autonomous states guarantee grinding schisms between states and populations...none of this is new, yet everyone acts as though our perpetual disharmony just happened yesterday. America exists in a state of slow civil war all the time.

Again: none of this is new, and it's the heart of the peculiar democratic republic we are.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Americans would be happy when all those savages and slaves would stop exporting their stupidity to America.

You mean islam started in the US, got exported, and now is makin' its way back?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"How are your native Americans doing?"

Indians got the short end, yeah, but that was a long time ago...if they ain't cuttin' it today, that's on them.

#

"The slaves getting along well?"

Certainly, some of their ancestors are.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The Empire vs The Republic.

How old is the Empire?

How young is the Republic?

Mebbe comparing the two is wrong-headed.

The Empire had it's impulsive youth and now dodders.

The Republic has a way to go till it matures.

Bear with us (like you all have any damn choice... :D ).
FlashDangerpants

Re:

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:47 pm "The seeds of discontent lie in the USA's name. A nation that is truly united does not need "united" in its name; unity is a given."

The United States of America is called the United Stated of America cuz it is a nation comprised of individual, autonomous, states. Which is to say: Louisiana is not beholden to follow the insane internal policies of New York or California, and they are free to ignore Louisiana's. It makes for a disharmony and clunkiness...and thank goodness for that disharmony and clunkiness.

If you think the US is the devil 'now', imagine how demonic we'd be if we were efficient about things.
That's not really true. There's a thing called an Optimal Currency Area which requires both New York and California to send huge amounts of money to Louisiana every year. Otherwise Louisiana couldn't use the dollar as currency because the interest rates that allow rich states like NY and CA to prosper without overheating are too low for a pisspoor shithole state like Louisiana which needs loose monetary policy to survive.

Britain has an OCA, taxes from London pay for social services etc in Scotland so that they can use the pound without going bankrupt. The Eurozone doesn't have any monetary transfer mechanism which is why Greece went bust and the Germans have been such dicks about it.

You in the USA are more efficient in some of these matters than you like to think Henry, and as a result you are far less of the loose collective of individual states than you would like to imagine.