The Struggle for the Soul of America

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: The Struggle for the Soul of America

Post by attofishpi »

Dubious wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:32 am Trump made one doubt America actually has one. Somehow it seemed to have gotten dismembered by a vortex of lies, corruption, cowardice and nepotism, while proclaiming he takes no responsibility for anything. etc, etc, etc. He's the kind of low-life fucker who should be taken to back of the barn, shot through his lying mouth, cremated and his ashes thrown in a landfill where it properly belongs. Forget a state funeral unless the horse poops on his coffin.
Well said. I cannot believe that some in this thread are so blind to the makings of a dictator and the erosion of democracy.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:00 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:09 am
Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:42 am Let's face it. If the Dems win the Georgia runoffs because of these corrupt mail in votes, then they take over the senate and the supreme court will blossom to thirteen members while puerto Rico and Washington DC become states adding four more democratic senators. Time to pack it in, Liberty had good run. It was noble experiment but now "give us Barabbas"
I hear you

just remember: after the soap box, the ballot box, and the jury box have been exhausted, there's one, final, box to *ahem* rifle 'round in

remember P. Henry

don't despair, be resolved
I can imagine one young man remembering the fireplace and looks above it at Granddaddy's gun. He wonders why it must come down to this.

My grandfather was part of a well known Russian family in the Imperial Russian Navy. He escaped to America in pursuit of freedom while being shot at by the communists. Now it looks like America is devolving into what my Grandfather escaped from. How ironic. The attraction to slavery apparently makes liberty impossible for society to escape from.
ain't no leash on my neck

are you wearin' a leash, Nick?

no?

then the fat chick ain't wailed yet
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:28 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:42 am

Let's face it. If the Dems win the Georgia runoffs because of these corrupt mail in votes, then they take over the senate and the supreme court will blossom to thirteen members while puerto Rico and Washington DC become states adding four more democratic senators. Time to pack it in, Liberty had good run. It was noble experiment but now "give us Barabbas"
I hear you

just remember: after the soap box, the ballot box, and the jury box have been exhausted, there's one, final, box to *ahem* rifle 'round in

remember P. Henry

the main thing is to take care of your self and your son by keeping within the law.
no, B, that ain't the main thing at all
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:00 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:00 am

I hear you

remember P. Henry

I can imagine one young man remembering the fireplace and looks above it at Granddaddy's gun. He wonders why it must come down to this.

My grandfather was part of a well known Russian family in the Imperial Russian Navy. He escaped to America in pursuit of freedom while being shot at by the communists. Now it looks like America is devolving into what my Grandfather escaped from. How ironic. The attraction to slavery apparently makes liberty impossible for society to escape from.
ain't no leash on my neck

are you wearin' a leash, Nick?

no?

then the fat chick ain't wailed yet
Quite true. I'm just referring to something far deeper. I wrote of it on page two of this thread. From an interview with Jacob Needleman
The students with me were speaking vehemently against America, and suddenly he said, in a way that commanded complete attention, “You don’t know what you have here.” He stunned everybody. There was a chilling moment of complete silence. Coming from this man of wisdom and depth of spiritual understanding, his words settled in on us like a great question, a deep spiritual shock that made us think and wonder.
The reality is that we don't know what we have here and modern progressive education makes sure it is dumbed out of young minds. That is the horror of it. When people have forgotten "what we have here" then they seek to destroy it. My grandfather's escape to America will eventually prove futile on a large scale simply because the young no longer know "what you have here."
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:42 am

Let's face it. If the Dems win the Georgia runoffs because of these corrupt mail in votes, then they take over the senate and the supreme court will blossom to thirteen members while puerto Rico and Washington DC become states adding four more democratic senators. Time to pack it in, Liberty had good run. It was noble experiment but now "give us Barabbas"
I hear you

remember P. Henry

the main thing is to take care of your self and your son by keeping within the law.
The law only works for people who respect the value of blind justice and equality under the law. It cannot work for agenda driven people. By definition agenda driven people have no use for blind justice. It just gets in its way.

Trump spoke of making America great again. This includes respect for blind justice. Agenda driven people don't want it. How then to defend American principles and values which make liberty possible? Being cutsey pooh in these times doesn't work since the agend is violently opposed to liberty. Just read the Cloward–Piven strategy and it will become clear.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm

I hear you

remember P. Henry

The law only works for people who respect the value of blind justice and equality under the law. It cannot work for agenda driven people. By definition agenda driven people have no use for blind justice. It just gets in its way.

Trump spoke of making America great again. This includes respect for blind justice. Agenda driven people don't want it. How then to defend American principles and values which make liberty possible? Being cutsey pooh in these times doesn't work since the agend is violently opposed to liberty. Just read the Cloward–Piven strategy and it will become clear.
Who are the agenda driven people whom you reference here?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

commonsense wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:03 pm
Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm

Who are the agenda driven people whom you reference here?
All those who support SauL Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" and the Cloward-Piven strategy.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The reality is that we don't know what we have here and modern progressive education makes sure it is dumbed out of young minds. That is the horror of it. When people have forgotten "what we have here" then they seek to destroy it. My grandfather's escape to America will eventually prove futile on a large scale simply because the young no longer know "what you have here."

nah, I don't believe that

listen...you hear the fat chick?

I don't
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:19 pm The reality is that we don't know what we have here and modern progressive education makes sure it is dumbed out of young minds. That is the horror of it. When people have forgotten "what we have here" then they seek to destroy it. My grandfather's escape to America will eventually prove futile on a large scale simply because the young no longer know "what you have here."

I don't
I agree but we also need enough people to struggle for America. Trump spoke of the indoctrination in modern education and how it creates radicals. How many college kids could answer the question: "Do you know what you have here?" The fat chick hasn't sung yet but we have to help her get back on the stage. Trump is just one person reminding us of problem. We can think of ourselves but how to defend the principles and values essential for liberty if we don't know what we have here?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

how to defend the principles and values essential for liberty(?)

we're in the time of the third box

if there is no redress: we're left with the fourth box

this is the sad, sour truth of things
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick_A wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:38 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:19 pm The reality is that we don't know what we have here and modern progressive education makes sure it is dumbed out of young minds. That is the horror of it. When people have forgotten "what we have here" then they seek to destroy it. My grandfather's escape to America will eventually prove futile on a large scale simply because the young no longer know "what you have here."

I don't
I agree but we also need enough people to struggle for America. Trump spoke of the indoctrination in modern education and how it creates radicals. How many college kids could answer the question: "Do you know what you have here?" The fat chick hasn't sung yet but we have to help her get back on the stage. Trump is just one person reminding us of problem. We can think of ourselves but how to defend the principles and values essential for liberty if we don't know what we have here?
How can you tell when somebody is trying to mislead you? Nick ,and Henry, are victims of mis-selling. Do either of you know what divisive means?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:57 pm

I don't
How can you tell when somebody is trying to mislead you? Nick ,and Henry, are victims of mis-selling. Do either of you know what divisive means?
ever consider, B, that mebbe you're the who has been, is bein', misled?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:08 pm
Dubious wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:32 am Trump made one doubt America actually has one. Somehow it seemed to have gotten dismembered by a vortex of lies, corruption, cowardice and nepotism, while proclaiming he takes no responsibility for anything. etc, etc, etc. He's the kind of low-life fucker who should be taken to back of the barn, shot through his lying mouth, cremated and his ashes thrown in a landfill where it properly belongs. Forget a state funeral unless the horse poops on his coffin.
Well said. I cannot believe that some in this thread are so blind to the makings of a dictator and the erosion of democracy.
Both weird and ironic that most of those who apply for American citizenship are out to defend democracy while half of those who call themselves Americans want to defeat it. Biden is merely a hiatus. The U.S. is going down. Differences are too extreme to be reconciled turning the United part of the United States into an oxymoron. This diminishes the West relative to the East who wish precisely for such an outcome to happen.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

I don't
You are implying that liberty and the Constitution are not worth defending. It is divisive to do so? Freedom of thought is what got Socrates killed, He was divisive and disturbed the peace
“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” ~ Barry Goldwater
Yes defense of liberty is divisive. It is insulting and intolerable to those opposing liberty. Some prefer moderation and the slow politically correct descent into statist slavery. You have to choose: liberty or slavery.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:44 am

You are implying that liberty and the Constitution are not worth defending. It is divisive to do so? Freedom of thought is what got Socrates killed, He was divisive and disturbed the peace
“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” ~ Barry Goldwater
Yes defense of liberty is divisive. It is insulting and intolerable to those opposing liberty. Some prefer moderation and the slow politically correct descent into statist slavery. You have to choose: liberty or slavery.
But liberty is inconsistent with equality. The thing we need to do is find a happy enough balance between liberty and equality. And finding a happy enough balance is what democracy is for.

Your term "statist slavery" is part of the populist vocabulary. America is a democratic country so that term tells a lie.