For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: The Struggle for the Soul of America

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:33 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:33 am
100% of your life is whatever you have chosen to make of it. Whatever you are born with and whatever environment you are provided are only raw materials that cause nothing except what you choose to do with them.

Everyone likes to blame their heredity, their society, their childhood, and their experience for what they are, but they are just excuses for not doing the hard work of making something of one's life.
So if you are born severely autistic it's your own fault for not snapping out of it?
So you consider being autistic a fault?

If someone has a handicap (and 99% of those who claim them just have conditions others have without compliant and live quite successfully), does that mean someone is at fault?

If I have a physical defect that prevents me from doing at least the minimum necessary to sustain my own life, I will die. It has nothing to do with, "fault." It's just a fact.

If I am able to at least do enough to sustain my own life, and I don't, I will die, and that's my own fault.
If you are born to an impoverished immigrant mother and have a deprived childhood, is it your fault and would you become successful if you only try hard enough?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:44 pm So if you are born severely autistic it's your own fault for not snapping out of it?

If someone has a handicap (and 99% of those who claim them just have conditions others have without compliant and live quite successfully), does that mean someone is at fault?

If I have a physical defect that prevents me from doing at least the minimum necessary to sustain my own life, I will die. It has nothing to do with, "fault." It's just a fact.

If I am able to at least do enough to sustain my own life, and I don't, I will die, and that's my own fault.
If you are born to an impoverished immigrant mother and have a deprived childhood, is it your fault and would you become successful if you only try hard enough?
Deprived of what? If I use whatever it is you call a deprived child as an excuse to become nothing as an adult, that is my fault. There are children you, no doubt, would call deprived, who have made wonderfully successful lives for themselves.

Some examples:

Teen who grew up in homeless shelters earns full ride to Harvard University

[Key word: earns]

Formerly homeless teen graduates college on the Dean's List:

Never mind!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Deprived of what? If I use whatever it is you call a deprived child as an excuse to become nothing as an adult, that is my fault. There are children you, no doubt, would call deprived, who have made wonderfully successful lives for themselves.

Some examples:

Never mind!
Liberal educationists and social reformers aim to help all deprived children to be successful. At this time social mobility is possible for a few children but only a few.

Do you blame people who are obese for their disability?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 am

Some examples:

Never mind!
Liberal educationists and social reformers aim to help all deprived children to be successful. At this time social mobility is possible for a few children but only a few.
So long as, "liberal educationists and social reformers," keep telling the so-called, "deprived," young people they, "can't," make something of their lives, they are certainly less likely to try. Most young people will not make much of their lives no matter what degree of advantage they are given.
Belinda wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 pm Do you blame people who are obese for their disability?
What, "blame?" Who's blaming anyone for anything. I don't judge what others choose to do with their lives. Why do you call obesity a, "disability?" If someone is not bothered by their weight and chooses not to do anything about it then they don't. If, in their opinion, it limits their life, and they judge it to be something they don't want, they can stop eating so much.

Nothing forces anyone to eat too much. One has to choose to go through the motions of eating. It's not a disability.
Last edited by RCSaunders on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm
Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 am

Some examples:

Never mind!
So long as, "liberal educationists and social reformers," keep telling the so-called, "deprived," young people they, "can't," make something of their lives, they are certainly less likely to try. Most young people will not make much of their lives no matter what degree of advantage they are given.

Do you blame people who are obese for their disability?
What, "blame?" Who's blaming anyone for anything. I don't judge what others choose to do with their lives. Why do you call obesity a, "disability?" If someone is not bothered by their weight and chooses not to do anything about it then they don't. If, in their opinion, it limits their life, and they judge it to be something they don't want, they can stop eating so much.

Nothing forces anyone to eat too much. One has to choose to go through the motions of eating. It's not a disability.
[/quote]
Actually, we encourage children.
I call obesity a disability because it causes diabetes, heart disease, and shortens their lives by as much as ten years for men. You are too cavalier about stopping eating so much. You know little about it. Most obese people wish they were thinner.
Is it somebody's choice that they get ill ill with cancer?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 am There is a struggle going on for the soul of America. Should Americans struggle to regain the principles it was founded upon or seek to transform it into a statist utopia as suggested by others such as Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton
Croc of shite.

In what way do you think you can get anyone to treat you seriously when you write such trash, and obvious untruths.

What was written over 200 years ago is no longer relevant. I doubt you would want to return to a slave owning oligarchical republic with the thinnest veneer of democracy. You would immediately loose your vote, your wealth and your security.
Grow the fuck up
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:59 pm
Nick_A wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 am There is a struggle going on for the soul of America. Should Americans struggle to regain the principles it was founded upon or seek to transform it into a statist utopia as suggested by others such as Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton
Croc of shite.

In what way do you think you can get anyone to treat you seriously when you write such trash, and obvious untruths.

What was written over 200 years ago is no longer relevant. I doubt you would want to return to a slave owning oligarchical republic with the thinnest veneer of democracy. You would immediately loose your vote, your wealth and your security.
Grow the fuck up
the principles Nick cites are sound: 'murica, unfortunately, has never adhered cleanly or coherently to those principles

so: condemn man for bein' a fickle jackass, not the truths he willfully turns away from
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Croc of shite.

Grow the fuck up
One of the principles America was founded upon is blind justice. Lady Liberty is blindfolded. The laws are the same for everyone. Now all these progressive efforts have served to devolve the concept into "might makes right" Now we have riots in the streets. The struggle for equal justice under the law has devolved into the struggle for power. You say it is no longer relevant. I say that liberty is impossible without all honoring blind justice. They won't so the struggle for power described as "might makes right" has made it obsolete assuring your goal of statist slavery is inevitable. Why slavery seems so desirable to you is another question.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:17 pm
Croc of shite.

Grow the fuck up
the principles Nick cites are sound: 'murica, unfortunately, has never adhered cleanly or coherently to those principles

so: condemn man for bein' a fickle jackass, not the truths he willfully turns away from
Our political system was designed to make mistakes correctible. The progressive agenda is like a pit bull. Once its jaws set in it is impossible to remove and the gradual descent into statist slavery is assured.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:17 pm

Croc of shite.

Grow the fuck up

Our political system was designed to make mistakes correctible. The progressive agenda is like a pit bull. Once its jaws set in it is impossible to remove and the gradual descent into statist slavery is assured.
yep...and those garbage commies know it...they don't want to correct, they want to enslave
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm
Croc of shite.

Grow the fuck up
One of the principles America was founded upon is blind justice. Lady Liberty is blindfolded. The laws are the same for everyone. Now all these progressive efforts have served to devolve the concept into "might makes right" Now we have riots in the streets. The struggle for equal justice under the law has devolved into the struggle for power. You say it is no longer relevant. I say that liberty is impossible without all honoring blind justice. They won't so the struggle for power described as "might makes right" has made it obsolete assuring your goal of statist slavery is inevitable. Why slavery seems so desirable to you is another question.
200 years ago there was one law for the rich and another for the poor. There has been a long struggle to redress this inequity but there is still a long way to go. Pretending that there is some sort of pure version of the US looking backwards is... well backward!

Slavery is the inevitable consequence of absolute individual freedom.
The struggle has always involved dispossessed people joining together to form societies, parties and unions. This means solidarity. To your warped and myth ridden brain that is some sort of statist slavery. Well that's fine you deserve to be enslaved by your own stupidity.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

no: slavery is the consequence of not recognizin' a person's right to himself

it's the denial of freedom
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Croc of shite.

Grow the fuck up
200 years ago there was one law for the rich and another for the poor. There has been a long struggle to redress this inequity but there is still a long way to go. Pretending that there is some sort of pure version of the US looking backwards is... well backward!

The struggle has always involved dispossessed people joining together to form societies, parties and unions. This means solidarity. To your warped and myth ridden brain that is some sort of statist slavery. Well that's fine you deserve to be enslaved by your own stupidity.
Societies, parties, and unions had one thing in common: One Nation Under God. Without this humility and our collective need for help from above the only result is statist slavery and the fight for might makes right
"Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams
Liberty requires an emotional appreciation for higher values and what freedom offers unnatural for secular Man. Their only choice is eventual tyranny to supply order.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:44 pm I call obesity a disability because it causes diabetes, heart disease, and shortens their lives by as much as ten years for men. You are too cavalier about stopping eating so much. You know little about it. Most obese people wish they were thinner.
Is it somebody's choice that they get ill ill with cancer?
My wife was very successful Weight Watcher leader for many years. There is only one problem those who, "wish," they weighed less make, they just keep choosing to eat (with endless excuses), but everything the shove in their mouth they choose to eat. As my grandmother always said, "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Anything worthwhile is going to take hard work and all the wishing and hand wringing in the world accomplishes exactly nothing. Nothing of real value is easy and the more valuable a thing is, more time, work, and unpleasantness will have to be endured to achieve it. It's a choice, most choose what's easier and comfortable and then complain about their failure and call it a disability.

Nobody says it's easy. All real achievement is damn hard and those who have achieved things have paid the price, but "liberal educationists and social reformers," call them, "priviledged," and, "elite."

So all your empathy for some poor slob who cannot loose weight is phoney, because if they finally decide to take their life into their own hands, suffer those days of not eating every time they, "feel the urge," and loose the weight and go on to make something successful of their life, you'll call them, "priviledged," or, "elite."
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Nick_A wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:59 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Societies, parties, and unions had one thing in common: One Nation Under God. Without this humility and our collective need for help from above the only result is statist slavery and the fight for might makes right
You just can't stop talking bollocks.
You are just a bucket of contradictions.
"Our Constitution was made for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams
Liberty requires an emotional appreciation for higher values and what freedom offers unnatural for secular Man. Their only choice is eventual tyranny to supply order.
More gibberish