Secular Spirituality

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Secular Spirituality

Post by Belinda »

Conde Lucanor wrote:
Most people calling themselves "spiritual" devote an important amount of time and efforts to exhibit it.
I guess you refer to Spanish people, native Spanish speakers.In England and Scotland any person who referred to themself as a "spiritual" person would really embarrass themself. In fact. I cannot imagine anyone who might refer to themself like that.

The word 'spiritual' in Scotland and England is consequently difficult to use without someone objecting, understandably.However I do maintain that there is a use for the word, and no other word comes to my mind that would quite substitute for it. It's easier to imagine a scenario in which people are decidedly not spiritual. I'd say that a spiritual attitude is normal, and its lack is the attitude which is unsympathetic, ignorant, callous, philistine, or banal.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Belinda wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm (1) I'd say that a spiritual attitude is normal, and its lack is the attitude which is unsympathetic, ignorant, callous, philistine, or banal.

(...)

In England and Scotland any person who referred to themself as a "spiritual" person would really embarrass themself.
(1) Is that an observation, or a definition?

It sounds like an observation to the uninitiated observer, but on closer examination it is more of a definition as per your explaining how you yourself use the word.

(2) If it were all that -- unsympathetic, ignorant, callous, philistine, or banal -- by general meaning in the general population (who use a different definition by consensus) then why would it be embarrassing in England and Scotland to use as self-descriptor?

"I am not an ignorant, callous, Philistine person. I am aware of how shameful it is to be this way, and beg your thousand pardons for being so. I hope you can still tolerate my presence in your company." This happens?

BY THE WAY, GOOD PEOPLE, THIS IS MY POST NUMBER 666. I SHALT LEAVE NO MORE POSTS FOR ABOUT A WEEK, OR UNTIL I FEEL I CAN NO LONGER HOLD BACK, IN ORDER TO

1. SHOW WHO IS THE REAL DEVIL AROUND HERE
2. PISS BOBEVERSON DIRECTLY OFF
3. SQUERE THE RELIJOS OUT OF THEIR BOOTS.

WISH ME GOOD LUCK FOR A PHILOSOPHICAL ABSTINENCE OF A WEEK.

THERE MAY BE A DELETION OF SOME OF MY POSTS IN THE INTERIM, WHICH WILL CHANGE THE POST COUNT. I REGRET ANY INCONVENIENCE THAT EVENT WILL CAUSE FOR YOU GOOD FOLKS.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

-1- wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Belinda wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm (1) I'd say that a spiritual attitude is normal, and its lack is the attitude which is unsympathetic, ignorant, callous, philistine, or banal.

(...)

In England and Scotland any person who referred to themself as a "spiritual" person would really embarrass themself.
(1) Is that an observation, or a definition?

It sounds like an observation to the uninitiated observer, but on closer examination it is more of a definition as per your explaining how you yourself use the word.

(2) If it were all that -- unsympathetic, ignorant, callous, philistine, or banal -- by general meaning in the general population (who use a different definition by consensus) then why would it be embarrassing in England and Scotland to use as self-descriptor?

"I am not an ignorant, callous, Philistine person. I am aware of how shameful it is to be this way, and beg your thousand pardons for being so. I hope you can still tolerate my presence in your company." This happens?

BY THE WAY, GOOD PEOPLE, THIS IS MY POST NUMBER 666. I SHALT LEAVE NO MORE POSTS FOR ABOUT A WEEK, OR UNTIL I FEEL I CAN NO LONGER HOLD BACK, IN ORDER TO

1. SHOW WHO IS THE REAL DEVIL AROUND HERE
2. PISS BOBEVERSON DIRECTLY OFF
3. SQUERE THE RELIJOS OUT OF THEIR BOOTS.

WISH ME GOOD LUCK FOR A PHILOSOPHICAL ABSTINENCE OF A WEEK.

THERE MAY BE A DELETION OF SOME OF MY POSTS IN THE INTERIM, WHICH WILL CHANGE THE POST COUNT. I REGRET ANY INCONVENIENCE THAT EVENT WILL CAUSE FOR YOU GOOD FOLKS.
Did you know that the number 666 comes from the list of Roman symbols for numbers? It is like writing the number 12345.

The Roman Numerals DCLXVI = 666.

People aren't really scared of the Romans anymore.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

Belinda wrote:I guess you refer to Spanish people, native Spanish speakers.
Not really. Spanish people is the people that live in Spain, while Spanish speakers are the people that live in many different places, with different culture, history, etc. I don't think that we can predict how close to 600 million people will behave.
Belinda wrote:In England and Scotland any person who referred to themself as a "spiritual" person would really embarrass themself...

The word 'spiritual' in Scotland and England is consequently difficult to use without someone objecting, understandably.
So, I guess then that Scotland and England are free of "secular spiritualists", not to mention their theistic comrades.
Belinda wrote: I cannot imagine anyone who might refer to themself like that.
Have you looked up in this forum?
Belinda wrote: I'd say that a spiritual attitude is normal, and its lack is the attitude which is unsympathetic, ignorant, callous, philistine, or banal.
There's no way out, it seems. Whatever you do, you will end looking bad: if you want to be spiritual, you are an embarrassment (at least in England and Scotland); if you're not spiritual, you are a disgrace for the human race.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Not really, Conde. I must have not explained myself very well.
Greta

Post by Greta »

-1- wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:05 pmBY THE WAY, GOOD PEOPLE, THIS IS MY POST NUMBER 666.
:lol:

In an ideal world there would be a little bell and Javascript streamers after you clicked Submit.