Against Caffeine

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gloominary

Re: Against Caffeine

Post by Gloominary »

Poisons typically yes, but again I don't know if many other animals specifically go out of their way to avoid naturally occurring drugs. It's been demonstrated, even within this thread, that certain animals specifically seek out drugs, so I'm not sure such a general statement could be made comparing it with an instinctual avoidance of poisons.

I just don't like projecting human phychology onto other animals. I don't know how deep their opinions about different types of foods goes, I don't feel I'm qualified to make such a claim.
Almost all animals almost all of the time evolved to seek out food not drugs.
If most-many drugs were good, you think most-many animals would've evolved to seek them out.
Chimps getting drunk on alcohol proves nothing, no one in the mainstream or alt community thinks alcohol is good for your health.
Last edited by Gloominary on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

It has absolutely nothing to do with the government, but somehow, I have a feeling you wouldn't be satisfied with whatever source I chose to discredit him. Quackwatch is an independent site, and has references from many different sources outside its own.
Quackwatch may not be a government institution, and while I didn't review all of its sources, some of its sources are either government institutions, or were at one time founded by government, and we know government has an extensive history of corruption when it comes to big business.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

I would say that you are heavily over-exaggerating the consequential 'bias' from a caffeine 'addiction', and I would also add that it's apparent to most people tuning into this thread that the type of attachment you have to insist caffeine is this demon of a drug, presents a much greater bias than anyone on planet earth has experienced with coffee.

I also don't know that this idea that addicts are blind to the reality of the drug they're taking is necessarily true. Sometimes, it's addicts who realize the adverse effects better than anyone else.
Of course you think I'm biased, I think you're biased.
Again, at least my bias isn't fueled by physical/psychological dependency.
Despite everything I've said, I don't think coffee is a bad drug, I just don't think it's benign or next to it.
I assure you while they're not mainstream, there's lots of voices out there who're just as/more critical of caffeine than I am.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

Maybe they're just pulling a prank on people like you? Can you show me how there necessarily isn't a point?
Pranking people like me isn't a serious motivation worth considering, money and truth are serious motivations.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

I don't doubt that institutions being corrupted is a possibility and has happened, as I've already told you several times, but just because it's a possibility does not mean that it is actively happening. Discerning something as a possibility is not evidence for that something,
It's not just a possibility it's a statistical probability, the only question is to what extent.
Coffee and science are billion dollar industries with thousands of people at their helm.
Some of these people are bound to be sociopaths and people with sociopathic tendencies, and they're going to work together to make coffee look better than it is.
Again that in and of itself doesn't mean that every industry that's rich is evil, it just means we're likely getting a sugar coated reality of it, and then we can argue over the extent.
especially when that something requires a complex harmonization like the FDA playing a psychological mind-game by actually discouraging what you say they want to promote; This is just plainly unintuitive, it's like saying we're all brains in jars living in a simulation just because we could be. You don't just show how it can happen, you need to show that it is happening, and then we can work from there.
It's not unintuitive, a big lie: coffee will not only make you feel great, but it'll cure cancer, aids and mortality, is harder to believe than a small lie: coffee will make you feel great and its negative effects aren't that bad.
Some legit science proving coffee is bad in some ways has seen the light of day, and so the FDA's ruling has to reflect it at least in part, but a lot of it has been kept in the dark, so it's not a great ruling.
Pointing to past historical examples is not evidence in and of itself.
If 9 out of 10 institutions have been shown to be corrupt, and the 10th one we don't know about, it's likely the 10th one is also corrupt.
It sounds like you're admitting that the positive data for caffeine found in scientific studies are actually legitimate, but this sounds like a change in pace from my former impression that you thought these studies were completely bogus, not simply selective in their facts. So needless to say, I'm confused as to what you actually believe.
I'm saying it's likely all three, there are legit studies proving coffee is good in some ways, which have a spotlight shined on them, there are legit studies proving coffee is bad in some ways, which're mostly kept in the shadows, and there are corrupt studies.
Last edited by Gloominary on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:22 am
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:55 am . . . . . . .
Gloomy, please put on your tinfoil hat before you post anymore. You don't want the caffeine rays to effect your brain.
BTW, I'm drinking a cup of regular coffee with my lunch, while I'm reading this thread.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

Almost every drug tastes bad, if drugs were neutral, you'd think some would taste good, some bland and some bad, and if drugs were good, you'd think almost every drug would taste good.
Almost no animal takes drugs in the wild, in some cases their instincts and senses tell them nothing about them, and in other cases their instincts and senses tell them to avoid them.
That's a point against drug use in general.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Post by Sir-Sister-of-Suck »

Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:55 pmI don't take supplements either, I'm just as skeptical of what the alt community is peddling.
My philosophy is asceticism/minimalism, only taking what the body arguably needs, and not a lot else.
I'm just trying to tell you that it's not that I'm specifically looking out for scientific studies that confirm what I like, it's that I'm hyper-actively of the opposing side and reject them exactly based on the fact that I know the nonsense they spew.
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pmWe've never been blinded to drugs say turning people into frogs and pigs, but we have been blinded to health complications arising from big pharama, sugar and tobacco, so again, to compare the two possibilities is ridiculous.
Close but no cigar. It is a possible event, granted based on actual facts, that hasn't been proven to be an actual problem based on actual fact. Just because you can show how there might not be any data on the subject based on conspiracy, doesn't mean that there is.
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 pmQuackwatch may not be a government institution, and while I didn't review all of its sources,.
Alright, I think I'm just about done with you. You're so intellectually dishonest and frankly, an overall sleazy individual, you don't even give me the same benefit of the doubt to look into accuracy of the claims being made, that I afforded to you and your sources. You won't be happy with whatever source I were to give you, not because they are inaccurate, but because they could be based on a government conspiracy.

The only thing that was even sourced from the "government" in those links, was the FBI cease and desist letter to the school itself. I guess because there's nothing that can ever be done to discredit Cherniske, well we'll just have to take his word for it and assume everything he's saying is the truth aprior to any actual demonstration that he is. Because hey, 'the book resonated with me'.

I'm going to go off on one last limb here, and just link to the wikipedia article about the school, which all confirms the exact same thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_ ... University
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:11 pmAlmost all animals almost all of the time evolved to seek out food not drugs.
Well yes, but you said they specifically tend to avoid and likened it to poison. I don't know if that's true. And again, my point to bringing this up is not to say that all or any drug are good, as I literally just explained to you.
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pmOf course you think I'm biased, I think you're biased.
Based on your own logic that people with an apparent motivation to defend something they would prefer to hear - your own claims shouldn't be trusted either. Anyone chiming into this conversation can clearly that your insistence trumps any desire someone would have to defend caffeine based on the fact it's their guilty pleasure. People just don't relate to this idea that caffeine is this super addictive substance we're all dependent on and can't get off, because it's simply not true. The very vast majority of people who can get off of things like Benzodiazpines, cigarettes, or opioids would be insulted to even hear a comparison made to caffeine dependence. No one but a select few with extreme OCD and hypochondria will say they relate to what you're talking about.

The fact is, it's perfectly fine to go into a scientific field with an inclination to believe in something. It's expected that all scientists walking into a field already accept the standard theories of consensus like evolution, because even if they find something that discredits something which was previous held a true, there are checks and balances in place within the peer-review process to filter out the bullshit.
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 pmPranking people like me isn't a serious motivation worth considering, money and truth are serious motivations.
I don't know. Some people are very dedicated pranksters.

It really doesn't matter how strong the motivation is, or how much of a benefactor you could plausible be off of it, it's about the evidence and surrounding data that supports such a motivation being true. Someone could come up with a good motivation for the government to have a secret society of individuals who actually run the world, it doesn't mean it's true.
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:50 pmIt's not just a possibility it's a statistical probability
It's not just a possibility it's a statistical probability, the only question is to what extent.
Coffee and science are billion dollars industries with thousands of people at their helm.
Some of these people are bound to be sociopaths, and they're going to work together to make coffee look better than it is.
Again that in and of itself doesn't mean that every industry that's rich is evil, it just means we're likely getting a sugar coated reality of it, and then we can argue over the extent.
Once again, it does not matter how many benefits can be gained by doing a certain thing, or if the technique are in place for them to do it; It doesn't even matter if Big Pharma colluding with caffeine manufacuters somehow gave them God-like omnipotent power and infinite knowledge over the entire universe, you have to prove that they ARE doing such a thing based on evidence.
It's not unintuitive, a big lie: coffee will not only make you feel great, but it'll cure cancer, aids and mortality, is harder to believe than a small lie: coffee will make you feel great and its negatives aren't that bad.
It's not even a dictomnoy like that, the FDA is specifically telling you which caffeine products to avoid. It is very apparent that they are far from promoting the most capatalistic gains, or promoting any capatalistic gain.
If 9 institutions have been shown to be corrupt out of 10, and the 10th one we don't know about, it's likely the 10th one is also corrupt.
If the first 9 have evidence to support that they are corrupt, and the 10th one has absolutely none, whatsoever - In fact, there are reasons against, then no, there's no reason to think it's corrupt. Even this hypothetical and made up statistic, does not neccessarily show what you believe it to.

It's not that I don't disagree with you that Big Pharma and the FDA are corrupt, by the way. That's not what I've been arguing for all this time. I just don't agree they're corrupt (and colluding) specifcally in the situation of caffeine-manfacutring companies. Because that's an incredbly stupid, unintiuive idea, and one that demonstrates no politcal understanding of how these things actually operate.
Last edited by Sir-Sister-of-Suck on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pmAlmost every drug tastes bad
Why are you repeating the same exact thing you literally just said a page ago, as though you're trying to reboot the conversation and automatically negate the nuanced points we've been talking about for the last couple of posts?

You've done this a couple times now. You need to stop it.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

@ Sir Suck
Close but no cigar. It is a possible event, granted based on actual facts, that hasn't been proven to be an actual problem based on actual fact. Just because you can show how there might not be any data on the subject based on conspiracy, doesn't mean that there is.
My point in this particular instance was not to prove coffee is more dangerous than we think, but to prove it's very possible it's more dangerous than we think, where as you were comparing the possibility of it being dangerous than we think to fantastical (im)possibilities like flying, fire breathing penguins, which, again, is an absurd comparison.
And since it is very possible coffee is more dangerous than we think, and since we have reason to believe it is more dangerous than we think, because we know a substance that causes anxiety/panic attacks can lead to disastrous consequences on the road and elsewhere, we should be on the lookout for more bunk.
Well yes, but you said they specifically tend to avoid and likened it to poison. I don't know if that's true. And again, my point to bringing this up is not to say that all or any drug are good, as I literally just explained to you.
This point helps prove drugs are generally not good, and probably generally bad.
Give drugs to babes and they will spit them out, if they're not sugar coated.
Millions of years of natural selection have taught them to do this.
This is just nonsense.
It really doesn't matter how strong the motivation is, or how much of a benefactor you could plausible be off of it, it's about the evidence and surrounding data that supports such a motivation being true. Someone could come up with a good motivation for the government to have a secret society of individuals who actually run the world, it doesn't mean it's true.
We know money, especially big money motivates scientists, and we know it's going to be a factor, where as we don't know penguins are telepathically motivating scientists to make us all think alcohol is worse than it is cause they want to keep all the alcohol for themselves.
Once again, it does not matter how many benefits can be gained by doing a certain thing; It doesn't even matter if Big Pharma colluding with caffeine manufacuters somehow gave them God-like omnipotent power and infinite knowledge over the entire universe, you have to prove that they ARE doing such a thing based on evidence.
No, you don't, logically speaking, it's highly likely a lot of it is BS, and so we as individuals and the alt community should be on the lookout for the BS, and it makes all the criticisms individuals and the alt community have of big coffee and mainstream science, much more plausible.

It wasn't God like powers that enabled so many corps and governments in the past and so many corps and governments in the present to get away with fraud, it's called mundane, ordinary money and power, no need to invoke shapeshifting reptilian overlords or anything of that fantastical caliber/magnitude.
It's not even a dictomnoy like that, the FDA is specifically telling you which caffeine products to avoid. It is very apparent that they are far from promoting the most capatalistic gains, or promoting any capatalistic gain.
My point in this particular instance was not to prove big coffee is more dangerous than we think it is, my point was to show that setting a limit, whether they're honest or whether they're lying, is the rational thing to do, and that setting a limit in and of itself is not proof of anything, and I dispute they're very far away from promoting the most capitalistic gains.
If the first 9 have evidence to support that they are corrupt, and the 10th one has absolutely none, whatsoever - In fact, there are reasons against, then no, there's no reason to think it's corrupt. Even this hypothetical and made up statistic, does not neccessarily show what you believe it to.
Because the 9 ones were later proven to be corrupt when we thought they weren't, if the 10th one hasn't been proven to be corrupt, it's more likely it's just a matter of time before it will be proven to be, than it's likely it isn't corrupt.
It shows us the mechanisms we have for proving things are corrupt are highly faulty, and that we haven't proven they're corrupt yet, or that we think we've proven they're not corrupt, is more likely due to how faulty the mechanisms have been proven to be, than them actually not being corrupt.

I'll deal with the Cherniske Question later.
Last edited by Gloominary on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Wild Horses and other wild animals will intentionally eat Locoweed which is toxic and has a negative effect on them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locoweed
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sir-Sister-of-Suck wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 pm
Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:26 pmPranking people like me isn't a serious motivation worth considering, money and truth are serious motivations.

Some people place a very high priority on a prank, apparently you do not so you project that attitude onto everyone else, just shows how closed-minded you are.
Sir-Sister-of-Suck

Gloominary wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 pmMy point in this particular instance was not to prove coffee is more dangerous than we think, but to prove it's very possible it's more dangerous than we think
Close but still no cigar. The point I'm drawing between the statistical similarity between penguinado and caffeinated driving is not to object to the truth about whether or not you are right that someone who drinks 15 cups of coffee, before going driving will in fact get in an accident, but that it's not an event anyone has proven to actually be an issue in this world.
And since it is very possible coffee is more dangerous than we think, and since we have reason to believe it is more dangerous than we
Nope, sorry, no matter how many times you assert that coffee is "more dangerous than we think", it doesn't just make that statement true. First prove to me that it is and some provide some reliable sources which backs that up.
because we know a substance that causes anxiety/panic attacks can lead to disastrous consequences on the road and elsewhere.
We know that if a tornadoes were to pick up penguins and hurl them at individuals, that could be catastrophic as well. Doesn't mean that it happens often, or even ever will.
This point helps prove drugs are generally not good, and probably generally bad.
Give drugs to babes and they will spit them out, if they're not sugar coated.
Did you read what I even wrote? I said you shouldn't liken them to poisons, because I don't know if that's how animals actually treat them.

"Give 'drugs' to babies and they will spit it out if they're not sugar coated"... That sounds like an awfully specific scenario. I was going to question the method behind this practice, though it sounds like something you have personal experience in trying this with your own kids, so maybe you would know afterall.

Anyway, your experiment is totally ridiculous and doesn't prove bullshit, and I haven't the slightest inkling how it would...Because babies are more in tuned with their natural instincts than adults? Because they're somehow able to detect even the tasteless, odorless drugs like LSD and avoid all synthetic products, despite the fact that the sugar and baby food they consume today is, in fact, synthetically made, and the fact that there actually are naturally occurring drugs? Because even if they can magically detect specifically what a 'drug' is, babies can't have their own phychological traits that they grow out of within adult hood? Because even if they know it's bad for them now, it's not bad for them once they reach adult-hood? Because there couldn't be any other explanation for why a baby will spit up the average pill, than they just have super-senses, apparently?

I mean, I'm sure the average baby would have more of an understanding about drugs than you.
This is just nonsense.
I don't know, I think it's just because your brain, your imagination lacks nuance, subtlety.

Google search "Man gets shingles after bachelor party prank", or the "Sam Pepper" controversy; people take pranking pretty far, and pretty seriously in this day and age. I mean, can you show how there necessarily isn't a way anyone would ever take a prank to such an extreme?
We know money, especially big money motivates scientists
Correct, but you have yet to show me how it's actively happening within this particular instance, of collusion between FDA/Big Pharma and caffeine manufacturing companies.

Though this is a bit aside the point, I would in fact argue that a scientist would typically be more of a benefactor to speak out against a commonly held idea in society, because controversial studies actually get more traction and coverage, and hence publicity.
No, you don't, logically speaking
So, motivation is the sole thing you need to decide if something is happening? There's motivation for the government to have an underground cult of dictators who are really running the country, and not our president. Why don't you believe that, you know, if you don't need to demonstrate how something is actually happening in reality, with evidence, and all you need is to just assume anything and everything with a plausible motivation is occurring?
My point in this particular instance was not to prove big coffee is more dangerous than we think it is, my point was to show that setting a limit, whether they're honest or whether they're lying, is the rational thing to do, and that setting a limit in and of itself is not proof of anything, and I dispute they're very far away from promoting the most capitalistic gains.
Not saying it's impossible that's why the limit exists, it's just not the most intuitive thing to assume. It's a rationalization you'd have to go with in order to fit everything in line with your belief system in regards to this conspiracy. It's a harmonization, which doesn't subtract from the fact that the FDA's limit is still evidence against the motive you suggest, it's just not evidence that can't be explained away with an alternate explanation. But then again - no evidence is, because every shred of data that exists in the world can be explained away with an infinite number of conspiracy theories, and logical interpretation rules.

Conversely, even if you are able to provide evidence supporting your theory about why the FDA limit is there, your 'evidence' is able to be reinterpretated and harmonized by the very same principle that brought to this conclusion, because again, they could be playing a game of 5D, reverse-reverse phychology chess in attempt of a prank; That's why it's always rational to go with the most intuitive option, unless enough contrary evidence arises which demands that harmonization is needed. Which, you, admittedly, have not provided.

I have to say though, I don't think it would even be the rational thing to do, because very few people suspect the government to have this extremely advanced form of reasoning that you do, and I really don't think the vast majority of people would notice anything - assuming the FDA is corrupt for caffeine and just doing this for plausible deniability - if they didn't have these warning about energy drinks and diet pills. I mean, I think most people realize what's being said about energy drinks is bullshit anyway, and they don't care what the FDA thinks.
Because the 9 ones were later proven to be corrupt when we thought they weren't, if the 10th one hasn't been proven to be corrupt, it's more likely it's just a matter of time before it will be proven to be, than it's likely it isn't corrupt.
"if 7 out of 8 people who live at the beach get eaten by sharks, it must mean I'm going to get eaten by a shark as well"; "If 6 out of 7 people attempt suicide in the city I live in, it must mean I'm going to attempt suicide one day as well"; "If 19 out of 20 people own a gun in my county, it must mean I own a gun as well".

Do you see why aprior context and the specific situations that created the number, matter? Maybe what you're saying works purely in the equation of a mathematical pattern, assuming all values are equal, but it does not work in your made up, completely hypothetical statistic.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

@Suck
Close but still no cigar. The point I'm drawing between the statistical similarity between penguinado and caffeinated driving is not to object to the truth about whether or not you are right that someone who drinks 15 cups of coffee, before going driving will in fact get in an accident, but that it's not an event anyone has proven to actually be an issue in this world.
I just proved it, I made a reasonable inference.
Nope, sorry, no matter how many times you assert that coffee is "more dangerous than we think", it doesn't just make that statement true. First prove to me that it is and some provide some reliable sources which backs that up.
I used what we all ought to know about history, psychology, sociology and so on, to make a reasonable inference.
We know that if a tornadoes were to pick up penguins and hurl them at individuals, that could be catastrophic as well. Doesn't mean that it happens often, or even ever will.
Your inability to draw from your experience or common experience to critique the political, economic and scientific establishment, makes you susceptible to all sorts of manipulation, good luck with that.
Anyway, your experiment is totally ridiculous and doesn't prove bullshit, and I haven't the slightest inkling how it would...Because babies are more in tuned with their natural instincts than adults?
Take alcohol, bitter chocolate/coffee or smoking, and even many herbs and all spices, try getting a baby, cat or dog to take them, they won't, because yes, they're more in tune with their instincts and senses, we primarily take them because we've learned to interpret the high we get 30 minutes or an hour later as beneficial, or because after years of abusing these substances, we've acquired a taste for them.
It's not just recreational drugs, most scientific elixirs and potions have to be laced with sugar to be palatable, the ones that have any flavor, the flavor is almost always bad.
Because even if they can magically detect specifically what a 'drug' is,
They don't know what a drug is, they don't have to, they just know it tastes like shit and they're repelled by it.
Most animals don't know why they eat or fuck, they just do cause they enjoy it, and it increases the odds of their survival.
A cat doesn't know why it likes meat and not veg, a cow doesn't know why it likes grass and not meat.
babies can't have their own phychological traits that they grow out of within adult hood?
An adult who has absolutely no experience with drugs or psychosocial conditioning will react the same way to drugs as babies.
Because there couldn't be any other explanation for why a baby will spit up the average pill, than they just have super-powers, apparently?
No only government and mainstream science has amazing powers, we shouldn't rely on our individual and collective senses, experiences, reason, intuition, we should just patiently wait for the okay by authority figures.
I don't know, I think it's just because your brain, your imagination lacks nuance, subtlety.

Google search "Man gets shingles after bachelor party prank", or the "Sam Pepper" controversy; people take pranking pretty far, and pretty seriously in this day and age. I mean, can you show how there necessarily isn't a way anyone would ever take a prank to such an extreme?
We know from the history of science and business, and from conducting our affairs in the real world, that money and truth drive science and business, and if the opposite were the case, and we did things all, most or much of the time for a laugh against the interests of money, truth and survival, collectively and individually, we'd've died out a long time ago.
Your antithesis pranksterism shows a complete lack of understanding of human nature and reality.
Though this is a bit aside the point, I would in fact argue that a scientist would typically be more of a benefactor to speak out against a commonly held idea in society, because controversial studies actually get more traction and coverage, and hence publicity.
Scientists are conditioned from a young age to regurgitate what their teachers and society tells them to on command without question, comment or critique, it's only when they reach university that they're taught to think for themselves in very limited, controlled ways.

When big ideas and money are involved, many scientists risk losing their prestige, their careers, perhaps even their lives or the lives of their families by blowing the whistle on the establishment.
So, motivation is the sole thing you need to decide if something is happening?
Motivation is part of the equation, opportunity, historical precedents, their claims conflicting with common sense, the experiences and inferences of many people and the alt community, the fact that the scientific and caffeine industries are so large, some individuals are bound to be caught up in nefarious activities, the fact that society needs a stimulant like caffeine to keep it going, and so many people are addicted, it's all of those things put together, think holistically.
There's motivation for the government to have an underground cult of dictators who are really running the country, and not our president. Why don't you believe that, you know, if you don't need to demonstrate how something is actually happening in reality, with evidence, and all you need is to just assume anything and everything with a plausible motivation is occurring?
Of course it's occurring, politicians are loyal to the people who fund them: the rich megabanks and corporations, who conspire.
Noam Chomsky and many historians will tell you government conspires, that it's beholden to corporate and financial interests, that these interests help set policy, it's so boring and so obvious, it's hardly worth talking about.
Not saying it's impossible that's why the limit exists, it's just not the most intuitive thing to assume. It's a rationalization you'd have to go with in order to fit everything in line with your belief system in regards to this conspiracy. It's a harmonization, which doesn't subtract from the fact that the FDA's limit is still evidence against the motive you suggest, it's just not evidence that can't be explained away with an alternate explanation. But then again - no evidence is, because every shred of data that exists in the world can be explained away with an infinite number of conspiracy theories, and logical interpretation rules.
Let's just momentarily agree for the sake of argument in this particular instance we don't know how bad coffee is, because that's what we're trying to prove here, how bad coffee is.
Now, if the FDA sets a limit, that doesn't mean anything, it's not evidence of benevolence or malevolence.
You would have to assume it's a good limit in order for it to be a considered a benevolent act, and then yes, the more benevolent acts someone does for you, the more likely they care for you, but then conversely, the more malevolent individuals, institutions and the system itself have been in the past towards you, the more likely they're being malevolent towards you now.
Converely, even if you are able to provide evidence supporting your theory about why the FDA limit is there, your 'evidence' is able to be reinterpretated and harmonized by the very same principle that brought to this conclusion, because again, they could be playing a game of 5D, reverse-reverse phychology chess in attempt of a prank; That's why it's always rational to go with the most intuitive option, unless enough contrary evidence arises which demands that harmonization is needed. Which, you, admittedly, have not provided.
It's not hard, when the tobacco and sugar companies lied, did they say tobacco and sugar are harmless and turn you into superman?
No, they told you a lie they'd think you'd swallow, media and politicians do it all the time, if they're going to tell a lie, there will always be a limit to it unless you're dealing with a kid or a very simplistic, dumbed down population.
"if 7 out of 8 people who live at the beach get eaten by sharks, it must mean I'm going to get eaten by a shark as well";

"If 6 out of 7 people attempt suicide in the city I live in, it must mean I'm going to attempt suicide one day as well"; "If 19 out of 20 people own a gun in my county, it must mean I own a gun as well".

Do you see why aprior context and the specific situations that created the number, matter? Maybe what you're saying works purely in the equation of a mathematical pattern, assuming all values are equal, but it does not work in your made up, completely hypothetical statistic.
Let's take the shark one. If we have nothing else to go on, then yes, if someone got eaten every month, then next month you're probably next. Now, we may look at the particulars, and we may find out that of those 8 people the last one who hasn't been eaten yet was the only one who doesn't go down to the beach, and so won't be eaten, or on the other hand, we might find he also goes down to the beach, and so will be eaten, now what I'm saying is: when it comes to coffee, the particulars aren't meaningfully different from big oil, big pharma, sugar, tobacco and so on anyway.
Gloominary

Post by Gloominary »

I don't need a single study to prove to myself 10-20 cups of coffee or even 5 is going to up the odds of you getting into a car accident, anymore than I need a study to tell me short, fat people tend to be more insecure, but take a look at this anyway:
The National Safety Commission has issued a report on the dangers of the use of high energy drinks and driving a car. Various high energy drink brands have become very popular over the last number of years, particularly with those under the age of 30, and are commonly used to assist with increased energy, athletic performance, and even just to stay awake.
Due to the highly powerful combination of stimulants contained in these beverages, different jurisdictions have reacted with warnings and restrictions on the total amount of stimulants, such as caffeine, that can be contained in an individual serving. In Canada, individual servings are limited to a maximum of 180 mg of caffeine but this limitation doesn’t preclude individuals from having multiple servings. This is where problems arise – the stimulants are so powerful that very few servings are required to dramatically impact an average individual.
For example, if an average energy drink contains 160 mg of caffeine this means that as few as two cans contains more than 300 mg of caffeine and can result in caffeine intoxication which, according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, can cause restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, stomach problems, twitching muscles, rambling speech and thought, irritability, irregular or rapid heartbeat, and agitation.
Regular and larger doses of caffeine can result in depression, mania, impaired judgment, hallucinations and psychosis. The British Journal of Addiction concluded that “caffeinism,” although infrequently diagnosed, may afflict as many ten percent of the population.
There is no question that the conditions listed above have the potential to impact driving ability; in fact, The Institute of Advanced Motorists is now warning British drivers that consumption of these drinks can lead to serious lapses in concentration and delayed reaction times. It has been shown that even if symptoms are mild and restricted to the most common side effects that affect nearly every consumer of excess caffeine – restlessness, nervousness, and excitement – these conditions coupled with younger drivers has been shown to increase aggressive driving and potential carelessness which only compounds the driving challenges already faced by this demographic.
Of further concern is a recent report that has indicated even a more significant danger may occur when the effects of the stimulants wear off. This can happen rapidly and result in a “crash” making it much more difficult for a sleep deprived driver to stay focused and avoid falling asleep at the wheel.
http://www.benchmarkime.com/industry-in ... or-injury/

Now, this is about how energy drinks cause car accidents, and energy drinks often contain other substances besides caffeine, like sugar and this or that herbal drug, but the main emphasis and implication in this study is on the caffeine.
Energy drinks contain more caffeine than the average cup of coffee, but if you make a cup of coffee with more caffeine in it, you're going to get the same, or almost the same symptoms.
Look it's just retarded to think 10-20 cups of coffee isn't going to make you mentally retarded and unfit to do anything.
It's like, if we prove x strand of coffee bean causes car accidents, buddy here will say, well you proved x strand of coffee bean causes car accidents over here but not y and z strand of bean over there.
He needs to be spoon fed studies to reach conclusions which should be obvious.
He cannot think much without the establishment holding his hand.
Well maybe the anxiety/panic attack, dizziness and retardation produced by x is different than the anxiety/panic attack, dizziness and retardation produced by y or crack cocaine.
An anxiety/panic attack is an anxiety/panic attack, the differences between abusing these sorts of recreational stimulants is going to be marginal and negligible.
Last edited by Gloominary on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.